This I Believe: Girls and Boys

I believe that girls and boys can be just friends. Nothing more than that. They can keep it on that level. Many people think other wise but I never have.
When I was a kid my mom had a friend and her friend had a son. This little boy and I grew up together. He was the first one to know everything about me. My first pet. 
My first kiss. My high school acceptance. My family problems. Everything. But somewhere along the line we started getting comments about us being a couple. We understood where they were going but we never went out, frankly we were to much like brother and sister to even think about that. Then once we reached our high school years we really were getting drilled with comments. People would tease us all the time. He's had girlfriends, none of them liked me because of the friendship that we had. 
Out of this, I don't think I would be the way I am around guys if I didn't have that friend in the first place. I think you need to have a friend of the opposite gender to really be able to get to know other ones. Honestly, I think boys are a lot more fun. With girls there so much competition and its not worth it. Boys are so much more comfortable to be around, not for the attraction, just to have fun with. 
One  of my other best friends, who is a girl, never really had a guy friend. She's 16 years old and she's practically afraid of the male gender. But if you think about it you could actually understand why she would be like that. If you aren't exposed to something then you most likely going to avoid it. 
I still do talk to my first boy best friend. He is probably one of the closest people to me. I believe that everyone should have someone of the opposite gender to talk to, and to understand.