This side of Paradise (F. Scott Fitzgerald)

This Side of Paradise

F. Scott Fitzgerald

a review by August Polite

The story of Amory Blaine is an interesting one; though not an immediately gripping dialogue, it does not fail to interest the reader in a way that most books simply cannot accomplish. The story of Amory is relatable, but mysteriously captivating, and funny at times. The story is an American classic and it holds up surprisingly well, offering a different style of writing that isn’t really used much today. The story doesn’t begin with a proper exposition of the characters, instead it starts by dropping you right into the story of this peculiar character, letting you get a feel for what is happening in the world.  Throughout the first sections of Amory’s life it feels more like a biography instead of a novel. The character seems so real and is described in such a realistic and detailed manner that at times, you forget that he is in fact a piece of fiction. He comes across as a conventional advantageous and affluent young man in the twenties, striving to get ahead in life; a very relatable format, although some may find lulls at points in the story.

Many have claimed that “This side of Paradise” is not one of Fitzgerald prize works, but that it was a necessary step for him to find his rhythm. I have only read some fragmented sections of “the Great Gatsby” (one of Fitzgerald’s most prestigious works)  and somewhat agree with the book’s critics, however “This Side of Paradise” has a different appeal. It feels more like a window into Fitzgerald’s past and offers a look at his climb to fame.