Time

(lying on a hospital bed) I am not a man. I am not a monster. I don’t know what I am. I think I’m alive. If you can call this thing I have a life.  

And the worst part is: I chose this.

If a well known hospital tells you (mocking, goofy voice)“hey, do you wanna be immortal?” there’s really only one answer. This was when I was 55 and that…that marked the end of my life. They took me here. Hooked me up to these computers. And then…the beeping started(beeping starts). That incessant (progressively louder)“beep beep beep beep Beep Beep Beep Beep BEep BEep BEEP BEEP” IT DRIVES ME INSANE.

It was pretty ok at first. They sort of left me alone. Gave me food when I needed it. Not really when I asked, but that was ok. It was peaceful, and I liked that. Then when I was around 90, maybe 100, they started to show themselves more. The eyes(doctor walks on stage). Groups of them(another doctor walks on stage). They would just stare. They would sometimes move their mouths but I couldn’t hear them. I didn’t think they want me to. I mean I don’t expect them to. I don’t think they like me.

This is about all I can do to pass this time. Think about this place. It’s all I can remember. I barely know what time is anymore. When you’ve been around this long, (chuckle), you really stop caring about each day. I have been alive for 216 years and it has felt like just another 55.

(doctor walks close)The…end? Ha HA! FINALLY! I have waited lifetimes for this moment! I barely felt alive in the first place, and now, I can finally be FREE from this curse! This curse of life! It can finally…end…Do I even want it to end? I mean, I certainly am not enjoying THIS “life,” but would nothing be better? At least now I can think. I am constantly in pain, but at least I can feel something. I guess I never really thought about that before. Is living in an endless cycle of torture better than not living at all?

I need to find out. I can not die. (in the direction of the doctors)They SAID I would be immortal. (directly to the doctors)Let me BE IMMORTAL. I have nothing but myself! I need myself! I can’t afford to have this end. Maybe all this time by myself has made me like myself more than other people or something. I don’t know! I just need more time!

time monologue

Sarith Chuon (Student 2018)
Sarith Chuon

I think I could relate in someway, because I do have times where I want things to end, yet I don't when I think about it. Where you said that you need more time, I'd say that will stick with me.

Anthony McDonnell (Student 2018)
Anthony McDonnell

I have no words. I'll try. 1. I could really feel the anguish and morbid sarcasm of this character. I like how he goes through a zillion different emotions, and how well you portrayed them, too. 2. The beeping sound effects were just fantastic. I like how he mocked the doctors and how he both does and doesn't want to live.

Xavier Gavin (Student 2018)
Xavier Gavin
  1. I personally didn't connect with the character that much. I've never thought about what I would do with immortality or when I die.
  2. When the character started shouting BEEP over and over again I started to pay more attention. Living for this long and having to listen to that over and over for your whole life would drive me crazy after a while too. I started to get annoyed by the beeps myself, but it made me listen to the actual writing more, so that's a plus.
Addison Zheng (Student 2018)
Addison Zheng

The moment that would stick to me is " I have been alive for 216 years and it has felt like just another 55" because he lived for that long and he really can't tell the difference no more.

Tia Roberts (Student 2018)
Tia Roberts

I really enjoyed this, I already heard about you monologue idea and I loved how you portrayed it in this piece. The beatings in the back really set the setting and gave the piece a little more feeling then usual. I love how I could tell the difference in emotion from the tone of your voice. Something that really would sick with me is when you said.. “beep beep beep beep Beep Beep Beep Beep BEep BEep BEEP BEEP” IT DRIVES ME INSANE." I really felt the pain of the character at that point making me more interested in your piece. Good job!

Aidan Williams (Student 2018)
Aidan Williams

I enjoyed this. I think that contemplating the difference between death and immortality is definitely relatable for me. The part that will stick with me most was when you were shouting "beep" into the mic. It was very loud.

James Thomas (Student 2018)
James Thomas
  1. This character did not want to die at all. Even when he thought about wanting to die, he still didn't want to. I can relate to this.
  2. The beeping in the background brought the whole scene together. I'll remember that.