Uyen Nguyen (Recyclable Camera)

“Art is something unique for yourself to create and not for others to judge. Art has the ability to enrich each individual.” As a high school student, my definition of art is more than just a painting or a drawing. Art is an outlet for my feelings and emotions, it’s one of the ways I can express myself without communicating with others. Art class is one of the classes that I can escape from my in school, and it also motivates me to express myself as well as show my reactivities. I was really eager to find out all the projects we are going to get involve with in the unit.

We started our unit by connecting the environment with art. Aurora Robson with her most recent work on using recycling material inspired our teacher Mrs. Hull to come up with our unit project on using recycling objects and create our own art pieces. Aurora Robson created a sculptured out of melted bottle caps. Her inspiration was not only from using recycling product to create her art piece. But it was also because it was one of her biggest nightmares; therefore using bottle caps to create the sculptured was an outlet to show her feeling and emotion on all the negatives affect to the environment when people are abusing the environment by not recycling right.

When the project was first given to us, I was blown away by Aurora Robson’s project and was so thrilled with trying to make a different piece of art from the same material. However, I was having lunch one day and realized right on the table, there’s a soda can sitting right next to a cardboard box laying on the table. I started to realize that there are more recyclable products I can relate to in this project. Along with seeing recyclable object lying on the table, right next to it what I call my passion or in another word my camera that I’d carry with me everyday. I decided to collaborate my motivation and passion together and create something new something that could attach to me as well as describing who I am.

I’ve come to a conclusion to rebuild another version of my camera, but with recycle products. For this project I used a box that was found on the table the day I had lunch to resemble the body of the camera. For the camera lens it was replaced with cans that was also found at the lunch table, which someone decided to not recycle it. Also a long the progress of building this camera, I found a couple of plastics item I could use as extra attachment on the camera. This piece of camera was put together by masking tapes because I wanted to stay in the area of using all recyclable materials or can be use to recycle. With the brand new camera I can finally captures this experience as well as my new outlet with the environment around me when people start to take role in recycling.

Photo on 2010-11-12 at 12.43
Photo on 2010-11-12 at 12.43
Photo on 2010-11-12 at 12.44
Photo on 2010-11-12 at 12.44
Photo on 2010-11-12 at 12.44 #2
Photo on 2010-11-12 at 12.44 #2