Violence In Philadelphia

Dwight Evans

Evans stated that “legislators should move beyond boundary lines and party labels to take action on gun control.”

It is not hidden that violence is on the rise in Philadelphia. Many people notice it, and do nothing about it. One person who is fighting to change the increasing numbers of murders/ attacks in Philadelphia is Dwight Evans. Dwight Evans is a Pennsylvania State Representative. He runs the 203rd district which is in in Northwest Philadelphia. Dwight Evans entered the Pennsylvania House of Representatives  in 1980.  Since he has held the position, Dwight Evan has several goals for improving the safety and lifestyles for members of our community and always worked to support them. While holding the position as the PA State Rep, Dwight Evans has been successful in creating legislations for increasing job opportunities and economic development, improving education opportunities and conditions, and working to reduce violence  in the City Of Philadelphia.

He focuses on reaching out to children and discussing violence and violence prevention. He has conducted several presentations to Philadelphia students about violence. Unlike many politicians that just discuss the issues to other politicians he speaks to the people being effected by the issue and gives them useful information on the issue.

Dwight Evans strategies for reducing violence are similar to mine. We both grew up in Philadelphia, so we know what it is like to be surrounding by violence. We both want to focus on children. If children learn about other ways to solve issues without violence it will be reduced. Providing children with education and activities will allow them to stay occupied. Without an education there is a low chance in becoming successful because with no education, there will be no jobs and with no jobs comes along poverty and at the end of the chain poverty leads to violence.

Video

Summarizes Dwights intentions as a State Rep and for his district.

People Against Dwight Evans

PENNSYLVANIA
"This month, all gun owners in Pennsylvania need to stand up and be heard. Anti-gun legislators, led by Representative Dwight Evans (D-Philadelphia), are pushing new gun control measures in Harrisburg. Pointing to data from a recent Democratic Party funded poll that indicates suburban residents are concerned about gun violence, Evans stated that “legislators should move beyond boundary lines and party labels to take action on gun control.” Gun-control legislation has been dead on arrival in Harrisburg for more than a decade, because the balance of the General Assembly supports the rights of gun owners. However, if Representative Evans and his supporters are successful this could change overnight. With your help, we can again stop this from happening. Pennsylvania gun owners have two important dates to remember:

September 25th - Senate Judiciary Committee Hearing: Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Stewart Greenleaf (R-12) schedules final hearing in Harrisburg - On Sept. 25, the Senate Judiciary Committee will be holding a final hearing to receive testimony relating to urban violence. The hearing will be held 10:00 a.m., in Room 8E-B of the East Wing. During the past several months, the committee has heard testimony from public officials and anti-gun zealots insisting on new gun control legislation to combat urban crime. This will be the final opportunity for NRA members to voice their discontent regarding the lack of enforcement and prosecution of federal and state firearm laws which has fueled violent crime over the past year. If you’re planning on testifying or need additional information, contact Gregg Warner of Sen. Greenleaf's office, (717) 787-6599 or gwarner@pasen.gov. "

This is a website posted by the Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association