Visual Essay

The Taming of the Shrew has a desire to show you different relationship styles. One of the Main characters in this play was named Petruchio. He was the man who knew how to use clever words to get women. There is also Kathrine who was married to Petruchio, she was not always interested in him. Later on Petruchio tame Katherine into the women he wanted her to be. What Happens In Vegas has a comedy based laugh and keeps you wanting to wonder if relationships are like theirs.  There are two main characters, Joy and Jack they both were in Vegas. They got drunk and woke up married. Joy character is happier but she can be feisty if she wanted. Then Jack is a man who is all about the women and sport who lives an average man life. Both pieces demonstrate the conflict between the ideal way to develop a relationship against how relationships often realistically develop, and how the expectations of an ideal relationship are out of reach.

PETRUCHIO

To her, Kate!

HORTENSIO

To her, widow!

( In Act 5 scene 2)

This was a scene where Petruchio and Hortensio made a deal to see who would could use this woman. Society would look at this and believe that relationship today come about because of bets that friends make with each other. This could also show you how relationship could be taken as a game and not actually a real life problem. Boys could look at this a being a player and girls could look at this as getting played. This shows you that the development of relationship are based upon other people that are not in a relationship.

In this scene from What happens in vegas it portrays to society that love is just something that comes with luck. The couple is showing that marriage can come easy and it doesn’t take long to do. This couple was just sitting in a bar, than waking up the next morning marriages. This shows to society that love is drug that can make you do crazy thing and regret it later. Love is a symbol to how the people in the society should look at it, which then later on makes the audience struggle with how a relationship is supposed to be developed

Why, sir, I trust I may have leave to speak,

And speak I will. I am no child, no babe.

Your betters have endured me say my mind,

And if you cannot, best you stop your ears.

My tongue will tell the anger of my heart,

Or else my heart concealing it will break,

And rather than it shall, I will be free

Even to the uttermost, as I please, in words

( In Act 4 scene 3)

In the Taming of the Shrew this was a scene that showed of petruchio actions toward Katherine after they got marriage. He started to control her by telling her what she could wear and what she couldn’t wear. This is showing to society that when a man does not like what you wear or what you are doing they have a say so in how they could change it. This could lead to why women began to feel insecure about themselves. This could also be a reason on why men have the mindset if one can do it then why can’t I.

In this scene Jack is talking about Joy is trying to be so perfect but in reality he never was perfect for him. Society men would look at this as if men are supposed to talk women as jokes. Men is the society could began to believe that this is how you are to treat a girl when it comes to her feelings and how she cares. This is teaching that girls are not [perfect and guys they will never be so this movie does a bad job at portray how a guy should look at a female. It’s as if a girl is not perfect for you then he's not perfect at all.

In conclusion to this relationships are looked upon differently in many ways. Movies and books could give a general impression on how a person should feel about it but it never actually tells you how to feel. Society are always watch the the actors and authors to see how they would describe the best development for how a relationship should be. This is why both pieces demonstrate the conflict between the ideal way to develop a relationship against how relationships often realistically develop, and how the expectations of an ideal relationship are out of reach.

Sources: