What It Means To Be Human

To best describe what this year has meant to me, I decided to use writing. Often, I find it hard to say what I want to say, in the way I want to say it, when the opportunity arises. But using a coherent piece of writing that I have analyzed over and over, to say as much as I can with few words is the perfect way for me. In my writing, I found a metaphor that stood out to me: bubbles. Bubbles to me are so magical, but they also never last, which kind of reminded me of myself. As a human, I will die and sometimes that is hard to cope with, which is such a big part of being a teenager, and I wanted to represent that, especially in a time like this when we are stuck inside with all of our thoughts. So I titled this piece 'What It Means To Be Human', because I think sometimes we forget the power we can have. Soon, the question I thought about went from, 'How has 2020 changed you?' to 'How can I make my impact in 2020?'. So I worked a long time on this piece--since October-- and went from 950 words all the way down to 450. Finally, to take this one step further, I created a piece of artwork, making draft after draft until I could sketch these bubbles, creating a brilliant contrast and a visual representation of all I wanted to say. Using just black construction paper, colored pencils, the help of the internet, and some paint, I was able to make this image of the child I describe in my essay, but yet also the teenager looking up to the stars. I wanted to represent everyone, no matter where you stand, because in the end we are all human, and that is what my biggest takeaway from this was. I have learned more about myself through this contest, and I hope when you read this piece, my impact will be made, even just to one person, that is enough, to make you think and hopefully keep these thoughts with you, to make you ponder where you are, and what you can do. Thank you. Reese

Reese Covalle Final Product- NYT submission

Ruby Kirk (Student 2024)
Ruby Kirk

Reese, I love your project, it's so good! Your writing is amazing, and it shows the simile of bubbles really well. "Like us, the bubbles are doomed from the moment they enter the world" that is so good, it shows how fragile life is, but you end it with joy and how life is short like a bubbles time, but it can be filled with joy. Amazing :)

Adrie Young (Student 2024)
Adrie Young

Wow, Reese, your writing is fantastic. I can really tell you worked hard on this project, and it came out so well. The artwork is amazing too, and this project overall is really really good.

Sofia Rahman (Student 2024)
Sofia Rahman

Reese, your project is so good, & I'm almost speechless after reading through it. Your writing was amazing, and your art was so good too! I liked how you wrote, "Our flaws make us stronger, our time gives us power, our end gives us a reason to be, to love, and to live"- I thought this sentence was really meaningful and strong. (Your whole project is!) And another sentence that I liked was, "We are flawed, but our hearts beat the same." — :)