Why Teachers Take So Long to Grade.

Nashay Day

Air Stream

2fer

Educators are universally vital in order for humans to continue flourishing as a race and these educators give assignments. When they assignments are given there are usually four kinds of students: the student who complete the assignment early, the student who completes the assignment on time, the student who hands in the assignment late, and the student who just doesn't hand in the assignment. However the common thread that connect these students with distinct differences is grading. Ironically, teachers at SLA are more compelled to mark an assignment as a zero if it missing than to grade an assignment that was turned in on time. One would think that teachers would be more compelled to do vice versa (grade the students who turn in work early or on time) but instead they grade assignments as zeroes first because it teaches diligence to students and keeps them on there toes. The bonus for them appears that they can take there time in doing this.

According 4th Grade teacher Debbie Gosdell there are specific kinds of teachers, she stated that "writing is a subject that many teachers do not enjoy grading." Additionally according to HP, "the hardest job" she's ever had also the most satisfying.” This argument goes to show that teachers may in fact enjoy their jobs in general, but there are certain things that they dread. One of them being grading papers. However, this has to have stemmed from  somewhere, teachers go to school, get a degree and traditionally teachers grade assignments, it would be absurd to that educators were unaware that grading papers were fundamental responsibility of the job.

Moreover, there are others inconsistencies in the relationship between teachers and grading, another one being the fact that in some cases, grades may not be proportional. Another author from the Huffington Post states “An essay that earns a B+ at one moment might earn a B- the next day. It shouldn't be that way, but any honest teacher will admit it's true.” Teachers are constantly attempting to enforce mindsets of consistency and m into their students, however it appears now that the act of doing so is hypocritical. Additionally, just as there are students who are different, similarly, there are just as many different kinds of teachers. That being stated, all teachers may not be the seem, but there is a common thread that connects them all together as well. That thread being grading methods.

All teachers grade differently, however all of them grade (unless they display complete and utter inadequacy when grading). There are a select few who are completely well-round and are efficient from any and every angle however, those are anomalies, and all teachers aren't able to be compared on the same scale. Additionally, according to an article by Alfie Kohn, he goes into depth about the fundamentals of grading. Kohn states " Never grade students while they are still learning something and, even more important, do not reward them for their performance at that point. Studies suggest that rewards are most destructive when given for skills" this is an additional reason why teachers are more compelled to spend surplus time grading.

In conclusion, teachers all grade differently, however, it seems that little to none of them grade expeditiously. It may not be due to that fact that all teachers are lazy and socially inept. It proves to be due to various reasons, but as stated previously, the common thread that connects it all is that fact that it actually does occur, and these occurrences are frequent between students and educators internationally. Teachers are compelled to put in zeroes to encourage students to become print and on task, not to be devious, it is just an act of tough love. Thus enabling students to do better so that the grading process can be thorough and enjoyable (for a select few).

Naomi Fecher-Davis (Student 2016)
Naomi Fecher-Davis

This is a very connectable essay I have definitely thought about this many times and this is something that gets under my skin. I think that a counter argument to this could be that there is a lot of other work teachers have to do and they leave the longer things to later. The reason they put zeros so quickly is because they are the easiest things to grade.

Carolyn Borock (Student 2016)
Carolyn Borock

I liked this essay and it bolded my understanding of teachers grading our work. The counter example is that teachers also have 100 or more papers to grade because it's not just our class but others to.