"Will you marry me?" "No."

William Shakespeare has written many books that have captivated many audiences around the world. The book “The Taming of the Shrew” isn’t any different. It is a love story with a few twists and turns. The two many love stories are Petruchio and Katherine. Petruchio and Katherine were made in hell for each other. At first, they fight and Katherine doesn’t want the marriage until Petruchio “tames” her into submission. The other love story is one of love at first site. Bianca and Lucentio fall madly in love with each other, but not with others trying to take Bianca away from Lucentio. Bianca is Katherine’s little sister and she was pursued by two people throughout some parts of the book. Bianca chose Lucentio because he was true to himself, unlike her other suitors.

The movie “Marry Me” is about a woman named Rae Ann Carter who wants a fairytale kind of love. Throughout the movie, Rae Carter finds herself and starts to understand what true love is. During all this truth-seeking she also is being pursued by three men who want to marry her without evening knowing her or what she truly wants. In “The Taming of the Shrew” audiences only see a small part of Katherine and Bianca’s relationship, but it has bearing on the story because it dictates who gets married first. In the movie “Marry Me” Rae and her sister argue about marriage and what true love is and if it exists. The relationship Rae has with two of her suitors is the same as Bianca and the men trying to marry her. These texts show that people or characters fall in love with their “perfect” person to have a marriage full of love.

Screenshot 2018-04-15 at 9.27.07 PM
Screenshot 2018-04-15 at 9.27.07 PM

In the movie, “Marry Me”, Rae Ann Carter falls in love with three different men. The images above are from three different scenes of the movie, but in each scene, Rae falls in love with Luke(far right), Harry(middle), Carter(far right). Each man represents someone she should and shouldn’t marry out of love. Luke is the perfect guy because her family likes him, but he could be crazy. Harry is rich and can give Rae the dream of becoming a painter, but he is Luke’s best friend. Carter is her old boyfriend who she wanted to marry and he left her for frogs. Each man Rae wants to marry isn’t perfect. Rae is someone the audiences can relate to because when people fall in love they head over heels for the “right person.” Even Bianca who had two suitors chose the Hortensio because he was the guy she likes. Of course in Bianca’s story, she wasn’t in love. Rae in “Marry Me” is in love with guys she never thought existed. Every single guy is who she want’s and that is where “Marry Me” and “The Taming of the Shrew” aren’t similar. One book is about falling for someone who you like because of how they make you feel. Whereas “Marry Me” is about love at first sight with the perfect person.

Bianca: Gamut I am the ground of all accord:

[A re] to plead Hortensios passion;

[B mi] Bianca, take him for thy lord,

[C fa ut,] that loves with all affection;

(Act 3, Scene 2, Line 77 - 80)

In Shakespeare “The Taming of the Shrew” Bianca is being courted by two men Hortensio and Lucentio. They are disguised as tutors so they can get to Bianca better. Bianca does enjoy Hortensio and instead does n’t, like Lucentio.

In the book “The Taming of the Shrew” readers see Bianca for a few pages struggle with which suitor to choose. Bianca and Rae have similar stories, but that’s it. Bianca knows who she wants to get to know before the readers do. Bianca doesn’t fall for the right man. Bianca is a real-life scenario. Most people don’t believe love, at first sight, is real and so Bianca’s story makes more sense. Bianca likes someone and waits until after Katherine is married to elope with Hortensio. Although Bianca never knew Hortensio was actually Lucentio; he was still who she wanted minus the money. In some stories love at first sight is important to show audiences what it feels and looks like. Well, Shakespeare clearly decided to shake things up a bit. He decides in “The Taming of the Shrew” that love, at first sight, didn’t exist. He did it this way to show love comes with someone who you want; not things you know before you actually get to know them. This dilemma of knowledge about someone else’s comes up in “Marry Me.” Rae and Luke are at a restaurant and Rae says, “I don’t know you enough to marry you.” Even though both stories tell love stories very differently they each reflect each other in some way. Yes, “The Taming of the Shrew” shows know love at first sight, but Bianca says she has passions for Hortensio that could mean love or maybe the author wanted us to wait to find out they fall in love. Both texts could represent love at first sight, but only one shows how love to someone(s) can be difficult.

Screenshot 2018-04-10 at 1.53.22 PM
Screenshot 2018-04-10 at 1.53.22 PM

Rae Ann Carter has a sister named Trudy. During the movie, Trudy is pregnant, married and a divorce. Audiences are in awe of the sister’s relationship. In this scene, we are at Trudy’s baby shower with her friends. Rae is so excited about Luke. Luke is the guy Rae is falling in love with. She tells the group “He asked to marry me.” They all just look at her at first until Trudy says, “When will I get to meet him?” No one is perfect, so people say, but when your a man asking for someone’s hand in marriage you must be spotless. Trudy who is Rae’s sister doesn’t like Luke because he is wild and not boring. During the baby shower, the girls talk about how the perfect husband to marry is boring. That man should be boring or they cheat. In this moment of the movie, love, at first sight, doesn’t exist. It doesn’t exist because you must marry someone boring if you want to be a little happy. “Marry Me” often wants audiences to know all sides of a story. Unlike ‘The Taming of the Shrew,” after Katherine gives a long speech about how women should act towards their men every woman is looking at Katherine crazy because she used to be less obedient and submissive than them all. “The Taming of the Shrew” is a mans love story, not women. “Marry Me” is both a man’s love story and a woman’s love story. We see the stereotypes of how women think and then we see how men act when a woman doesn’t want them. The belief that someone is your perfect husband is insane. It’s insane because “love” teaches us that no one is perfect, which “Marry Me” reflects audiences. People fall in love at first sight because they believe that person is perfect to them.

Bianca: Unbind my hands, I'll pull them off myself,...Or what you will command me will I do, So well I know my duty to my elders.

Katherine: Of all thy suitors here I charge thee tell. Whom thou lov'st best. See thou dissemble not.

Bianca: If you affect him, sister, here I swear. I'll plead for you myself, but you shall have him.

(Act 2, Scene 11, Line 4 - 15)

In this scene of “The Taming of the Shrew” Katherine has tied down Bianca until she tells her everything she knows. Katherine is selfish of Bianca because she knows she can have any guy she wants and that she follows rules unlike herself. Although some people interpret this scene very differently. Some say it’s just a sister thing others believe Katherine is trying to show Bianca that she already loves someone. “The Taming of the Shrew” and “Marry Me” may appear to be drastically different. However, once someone is able to look past the obvious differences they will notice certain similarities. “Marry Me” and “The Taming of the Shrew” both have a sibling rivalry that is a result of love. In “Marry Me”, Trudy acts like she wants what is best for Rae. However, she does not want the spotlight taken away from her. Trudy is similar to Katherine in this regard because she faces sibling rivalry over marriage. Another way they are similar is because Trudy will start an argument, but audiences never realize where her ideas or her actions came from. Katherine is the same way with Bianca. Although Bianca doesn’t know who she’s going to marry or who wants to marry her; she shouldn’t be tied to a chair for people simply liking her.

Screenshot 2018-04-12 at 11.01.12 PM
Screenshot 2018-04-12 at 11.01.12 PM

“The Taming of the Shrew” and “Marry Me” may appear to be drastically different. However, once someone is able to look past the obvious differences they will notice certain similarities. “Marry Me” and “The Taming of the Shrew” both have a sibling rivalry that is a result of love. In “Marry Me”, Trudy acts like she wants what is best for Rae. However, she does not want the spotlight taken away from her. Trudy is similar to Katherine in this regard because she faces sibling rivalry over marriage. Another way they are similar is because Trudy will start an argument, but audiences never realize where her ideas or her actions came from. Katherine is the same way with Bianca. Although Bianca doesn’t know who she’s going to marry or who wants to marry her; she shouldn’t be tied to a chair for people simply liking her. All movies have a great beginning and a great ending, this is true. “Marry Me” isn’t any different. “Marry Me” shows first love at first sight by Luke, who is a man. In most stories, we don’t get the man and woman’s perspective. “The Taming of the Shrew” we only get a mans perspective on what is going on. The two texts differ in that love, at first sight, is a “womanly thing.” In comparing the two texts the scene where Luke says he will marry Rae is also like when Petruchio said he would marry Katherine. Now Luke and Petruchio are totally different characters. If anything Luke is more like Hortensio, but in this scene he is Petruchio. In this scene, it shows his wanting for something. Almost like if anything were to get in his way he would be angered just like Petruchio. Love, at first sight, exists in men as seen in “Marry Me.” Love at first sight also must be with someone people don’t realize is the person they always dreamed.

Each text tells a different version of love at first sight. Sometimes each text also disproves that love at first sight exists, but each story show’s that someone a character likes or is “perfect” for them is who they should marry. In “The Taming of the Shrew” Bianca doesn’t choose Hortensio because he is the obvious choice, but she has strong feelings for him and wants to explore them. “Marry Me” Rae isn’t any different with her three suitors who she loves sometimes and sometimes she is confused about what is she wants. People have to like or have strong feelings for someone or believe they do to have experienced love at first sight; that is dictated by “Marry Me.” Both texts are different and similar when it comes to love, but they can agree that people must have the perfect person to have a marriage of love.

Work Cited

Hayman, James,Marry Me, Lifetime, December 2010

Shakespeare, William, The Taming of the Shrew, Poeckt Books, 1963

Afi Koffi (Student 2019)
Afi Koffi

This text didn't change my mind. It argued that audiences, when they think of love, imagine the perfect love story that doesn't really exist. I would take it a step farther and say that most people know that the perfect person doesn't exist but still aspire to it because of the media.