You Mean, You're not a Housewife?

1. For my project, I would like to research the relevance of women’s rights in our society. Throughout the decades, women have made great strides trying to maintain the same social and economic status as men but have failed due to the society we live in. Even today, women are paid 70 cents to every dollar a man makes for the same job, and if you’re a female of a minority the pay is even less. As a female growing up in this time and am very interested in joining the workforce as a young adult, I would like to spread awareness on the topic of unfair pay amongst genders. Another issue that affects women today is education. Women make up ⅔ of illiterate people in the world and it’s because the lack of being given formal schooling. Because of this, there are still a multitude of male-dominated fields within the workforce such as engineering, science, math, and even literature.

There are still people that believe the only title a woman needs is “Mrs.” Because of this mentality, young girls are afraid to unlock their potential because they only trust in their ability to walk down the aisle. In certain cultures, marriage is the most important aspect of a woman’s life, and because of this we need to stress the relevance of education especially today. Even in the U.S., over 1200 schools provide single-sex studies. Since this is the case in our society and even the media, the a lot of the misogyny and sexism sprouts from these sources. Because of this gap of females in certain fields, most of the homeless population across the globe contains women and children. It is incredibly important for people to know about this issue because there are still a significant amount of people that believe that women are given all the basic rights that are required. Thoguh I’ve labeled prominent issues that affect women in our country, there’s an immensely greater amount of issues that women face around the world, even some that aren’t socially visible. Sexual abuse, dehumanization, and sexism on a much larger scale just to name a few. What can we do to combat these problems and give women the equality we deserve? I often wonder if this issue will even be relevant in the future and if women will ever be considered equals, socially and economically. I plan on interviewing women on their experiences with inequality whether in the workforce, as a mother, in school, or any other possible situation. I also hope to observe in certain fields how women are treated and if they are being treated visibly different than their male counterparts.

Amal Giknis (Teacher)
Amal Giknis

Have you read the very controversial Lean In, by Sheryl Sandberg (CFO of Facebook)? If you can, check it out. Also, her TED Talk is worth checking out to get the idea.

http://www.ted.com/talks/sheryl_sandberg_why_we_have_too_few_women_leaders?language=en

Emily Stephens (Student 2018)
Emily Stephens

I feel like this is incredibly well written. It has made me consider how much I truly don't know about how I, as a woman in modern day society, is seen as according to the unequal pay in genders and uneven amount of women in certain work forces, even how women are seen socially. The section that really stuck to me was the recognition of how in some cultures, "marriage is the most important aspect of a woman’s life, and because of this we need to stress the relevance of education especially today." Many valid points were expressed in this particular section, and I had not realized that there are other cultures that do believe that marriage determines the primary value of a woman. I am very excited to see what future research is included in this topic and I would be interested in being informed with more statistics and detailed cases of this inequality. Great job so far!

Jevon Price (Student 2018)
Jevon Price

As I read this I could see the passion you have for this topic. I personally think it is wrong that women are stilled thought as a simply suzy homemaker or a object for men to have their way with. Like you I believe that women are much more than this and over the years have proved that they have the same capabilties as men. You captured the essence of every feminist.

Nadya Negron (Student 2018)
Nadya Negron

This post made me feel very angry with fact that women still don't get equal pay and it's 2015 and that's ridiculous. Something that stood out is when you said ''young girls are afraid to unlock their potential because they only trust in their ability to walk down the aisle.'' I found that quote very intriguing and it made me stop and think because this is how many girls are raised today to think like this. This reminded of myself and many other females in the world because this is what is put into our brains since I don't know when. I'm looking forward to whatever you do for your 2nd blog post like an interview or something would be really cool.