Zivia Avelin Capstone

For my capstone, I along with Nick Reed, another senior, created five murals in the SLA commons representing the five core values. The first four core values, inquiry, research, collaboration, and presentation, are represented on the four support columns and designed in collaboration with freshmen in the mini-course we ran. Reflection was designed and painted, primarily by me, on the wall alongside the steps leading up to the rest of the SLA building. Unlike the others reflection is intended to be continued by every future senior class. In order to complete this project Nick and I spent the first half of the year researching. We pitched to Braskem and received full funding. We ran a quarter-long mini-course. We spent the last quarter of the year completing what we began during the mini-course with a dedicated team of freshmen and a handful of volunteers. Through this project, I thought myself how to make murals and teach an art class two things I had never done before. I learned how to work very closely with someone equally passionate but with different ideas about what we were doing and how we should do it. I learned that even after the chaos of my high school experience I can still make a positive change to my community, and more importantly I taught the next generation of SLA students the same.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ez-xhTJfIlssHBEEAvR4jEJuiUYYB3pXce87BnxVRAk/edit?usp=sharing