A Not So Clueless Shrew

A Not So Clueless Shrew

Comparing “The Taming of the Shrew” to “Clueless”

In William Shakespeare’s “The Taming of the Shrew” it proves that there is a high level of expectations that lies within a relationship, and it is seen through the characters getting married within the book. Between both couples Bianca and Lucentio and Katherine and Petruchio, the man was expecting some kind of money to be provided by the father of the wife. In “Clueless”, the audience is shown that your reputation and popularity relies on being in a relationship and how wealthy you are. While having a lens on Cher and Dionne during the film, there is difficulty for them to gain a proper amount of respect from the boys at their school. These texts reflect that there is a higher level of physical and reputation expectations rather than mental and emotional worth. This is due to the social belief that men are always looking for more or even the wrong thing from women when trying to get in a relationship.

"Petruchio: Come, come you wasp! I' faith, you are too angry. Katherine: If I be waspish, best beware my sting. Petruchio: My remedy is then to pluck it out."

(Act II, Scene i, 222-224)

In this scene from “Shrew,” it was a part of the conversation Petruchio and Katherine were having when they first met. Both characters are quick to respond with intense and meaningful banter in order to allow their relationship to be able to move forward in a way to get to know and understand each other. It allows room for there to be a line drawn of where their comedy lies without making the other offended.

Cher and Dionne are showing their new friend Tai around the school, and Dionne’s boyfriend Murray comes up to greet her in a way that is not what she wants.

In this scene from “Clueless,” Murray comes up behind Dionne saying “Woman, lend me five dollars,” and she instantly rolls her eyes and tells him that she repeatedly told him to not call her that since she wanted to be called by her name. Throughout the film, Murray then respects his girlfriend and is shown to be more caring than the audience may have thought due to what she expected out of him. Although this scene connects to Katherine’s ways in the beginning Act II of where she was introduced in “Shrew,” it contrasts towards the end of the book when she becomes submissive and obedient towards Petruchio.

“Katherine: Thy husband is thy lord, thy life, thy keeper, thy head, thy sovereign, one that cares for thee, and for maintenance commits his body to painful labor both by sea and land.”

(Act V, Scene ii, 162-165)

This scene is from the end of “Shrew,” Petruchio convinces Katherine to be completely devoted to him, and there is no longer a sense of self worth; Petruchio was able to succeed at “taming” his newly wedded wife.

Cher’s friend Elton insisted on giving her a ride home since he was into her, but the audience were the only ones who were aware of it. He admits her feelings and Cher responds back.

In this clip from “Clueless” Elton was clearly looking to get a lot more out of Cher sexually, and did not expect to be just friends since he was taking her acts of politeness out of context. Both women developed throughout the texts: Katherine realized she needed a man to keep her physically and mentally satisfied while Cher became not only self-dependant, but found a way to help her reputation without the need of a man to belong with her. It became the perfect combination to keep her from becoming completely dependant on what she thought mattered the most .

Expectations have become a way that relationships have been able to become functional or not, and with that it shows how society has different approaches towards dating depending on the time period. It reflects that Cher and Dionne are able to gain boyfriends while setting them straight in order to benefit themselves, and Katherine felt that she needed to change all of her ways in order to please her new husband. These texts show the audience of how there is a less traditional way of entering relationships concerning money and has evolved into caring more about mental and emotional worth and importance instead.

Works Cited:

- Heckerling, Amy, director. Clueless. 1995.

Shakespeare, William, and D. J. Donovan. The Taming of the Shrew: Shakespeare. W. B. Clive, University Tutorial Press, 1929.

Taylor Green (Student 2019)
Taylor Green

You did a very good job comparing how both women changed in the text and film. Cher became more independent and Katherine became more dependent due to the expectations that were inflicted on them.