Cold Hard Love

Comparing  The Taming of the Shrew to Mean Girls

While reading the “Taming of the Shrew”, readers will notice that the book shows the use of a significant other as a status symbol. The same can also be said for a movie that aired more recently; “Mean Girls”. In both pieces the reader/viewer becomes introduced to the notion of a character needing another character romantically to be a status symbol, these characters go to great lengths to obtain the person that will boost their social status. This shows how relationships are more about increasing one's standing on the social pyramid then anything.

In the “Taming of the Shrew” the character attempting to boost their social standings is Petruchio. Petruchio wishes to become wealthy and successful and to do this he looks at the institution of marriage as his gateway into the land of prosperity and riches. To be more specific his gateway is the “shrew”, Katherine. This is best shown by Petruchio’s words in Act 1 Scene 2, when his servant Grumio explains to him the situation of Baptista and the marriage of his children.

“I come to wive it wealthy in Padua, If wealthily then happily in Padua”

(Act 1 Scene 2, 76-77)

This same mentality is also exhibited in the movie mean girls. Regina George the lead antagonist finds her social status threatened by another character Cady and her interest in Regina’s love interest, Aaron. The struggle for who will be higher on the pyramid is at it’s peak in the halloween scene. In this scene Regina shows her alpha status by kissing Aaron right in front of Cady.

maxresdefault.jpg

The comparison between Petruchio and Regina is extremely interesting. While Petruchio is attempting to obtain a better social status with marriage/relationship, Regina is attempting to maintain her social status. These forces that fuel the actions of these characters are enjoyable yet tie to a much bigger picture. Regina and Petruchio both feel a need to be high on the pyramid. However their positions differ therefore what the viewer learns also differs. Shakespeare has crafted a character who represents a mentality found in some countries. The mentality that a relationship is a mean to better one's own life. While in “Mean Girls” a case of a relationship being in need to, still possess ownership of your spot on the pyramid is crafted. Both pieces open the mind to the bigger question of why one must always be at the top, why is the bottom not good enough.

Another example of Shakespeare depicting the true nature of relationships is found in Act 3 Scene 2 when he describes what Kate is to him.

“I will be master of what is mine own.She is my goods, my chattels; she is my house,My household stuff, my field, my barn, My horse, my ox, my ass, my anything. And here she stands, touch her whoever dare.”

(Act 3 Scene 2, 235-239)

In this scene Petruchio starts to list all the things that Katherine is to him. However looking at it in depth will show another level. Petruchio is also listing the things that he will own or acquire by obtaining Katherine. All these things add to his wealth  and can only be obtained through his relationship with Katherine. Looking at Mean girls the viewer will also scene that deals with possessions.

Screenshot 2017-04-24 at 12.26.32 AM.png

“ You know Aaron really does like you. He's always talking about how unusual you are and it really pissed me off. Like this one time, I got this really expensive doll house from Germany, but I never played with it. So my mom wanted to give it to my cousin. But even though I didn't want it...

Cady: You begged your mom to let you keep it?

Regina: No. I threw it down the stairs.”

In both of these sections the characters are speaking metaphorically. Petruchio going through a list of things Katherine is to him is a nod to what Katherine is bringing him through their relationship. Regina reminiscing on the destruction of a childhood toy is a nod towards how even if she is not using Aaron she needs him to be there, and would rather destroy him then let someone take him. Both quotes may seem very different but they are focusing on the materialization of others for one's betterment. Petruchio has, figuratively and literally, added Katherine to the list of material items he is going to possess and Regina is showing how she would bring about the destruction of Aaron, her toy, so that no one else could have him and be a threat to her.

“The Taming of the Shrew’ and  “Mean Girls” are two pieces that upon first glance seem to be only for entertainment, however upon deep analysis the viewer will learn more about society. The viewer is able to see what a relationship means and in this case it is power. In both pieces two characters cling onto the person they are in a relationship with, in an attempt to maintain their social standings. This urge to remain at the top causes the characters to even materialize the person they are in a relationship with so that they’re higher social standings will be safe. Essentially “The Taming of the Shrew” and “Mean Girls” are two amazing pieces that give perfect examples of how relationships are not about love, but instead getting higher on the pyramid.

Sopheary Sok (Student 2018)
Sopheary Sok

Your essay made me think further about how people do use others in relationships to boost or uphold their status. I think it's interesting how media makes that a bad thing now.

Hadleigh Stammers (Student 2018)
Hadleigh Stammers

I think your thesis topic is really good- that in both movies a significant other is seen as a possession to maintain a high social status and I agree with your statement that Mean Girls and The Taming of the Shrew are perfect examples of that. I also like how you explained how the characters are similar but also different because of the time periods of the movie and ages of the characters.