Colony Collapse Disorder Blog #1

Hello, my name is Alexa Eddy and I’m from Science Leadership Academy. This project is called “You in the world” here we pick a topic that we think is important nd blog about it. We are also going to have a debate that includes our topic there will be 6 groups and we choose which topic to debate about.

I’m a girl that has a big interest for agriculture and always looking to fix problems in my own garden. One issue that I have a problem with is CCD. Colony Collapse Disorder. This is when colonies of bees just die out of nowhere. I like using ways to help the planet out and I’m interested in this because not only do I like bees but they are responsible for 30% of the crops in the U.S.A. With out them food prices will go up, crops wouldn’t do as good as before and we will be losing a beautiful creature.

Colony collapse disorder has been happening more frequently. More and more colonies are dying yet scientists can’t exactly pinpoint the problem. Some say it’s the chemicals in pesticides, varroa (a bee pest), and insecticides may be lowering the bee’s immune system. It was also said that honey bees kept in captivity are having problems with malnutrition. Only being limited to certain crops can cause this. What doesn’t help either is the genetically modified crops. Some of those crops make Bt pollen which isn’t good for the bees.

Everybody needs food to survive right? Well, everyone one in 3 mouthfuls of your diet whether directly or indirectly comes from honeybees. If this gets worse prices of food will go up and they might keep on rising. If we don’t take care of this now we can go down in catastrophic levels. Which includes a whole different diet do to the loss of a lot of fruits and vegetables. When bees are moved around due to consumer demand to pollinate crops it puts stress on the bees. Also some crops aren’t really healthy or nutritious for them, like cranberries. (In the picture is corn that has not been pollinated)

I always wonder if the government Is really taking this into consideration or are they just telling us to not keep us that worried. I want to know if I can do something to help. Or if I can do something to benefit the wild bees and help them repopulate. I want to learn how we as the people can help because if all of us care we can make a huge difference in this topic.

Here is a video for more information:

Video

Bibliography

Unpollinated corn
Unpollinated corn

Alaina Silverman (Student 2015)
Alaina Silverman

I noticed that you included a lot of cool facts (one in three mouthfuls comes from bee pollination). I wonder if you could have included hyperlinks and stuff to make it clickable. What if you structured your blog a bit differently? For example, making your fourth paragraph your second paragraph might pique interest in bees.

Mingxue Zheng (Student 2015)
Mingxue Zheng

I notice that you have a lot of analysis, which is good. But, since it is the first blog you need to put more research and information so the audience will know what you are talking about before you go straight for the analysis. You should save your wonderful analysis on the second blog. You have a long introduction and I think you should make it shorter.

I wonder if you could include more hyperlinks so the reader could get a better understanding of what you are talking about and read more information if they're interested.

What if you give more visuals attract audience and there is something wrong with your video I can not see it.