Curfew In Philadelphia

​I am lobbying to change the curfew for the youth in University City and Center City, Philadelphia. In the summer of August Mayor Michael Nutter enforced a curfew on the children of Philadelphia 18 and younger. The curfew restrictions are 10:00 p.m. for those under 13 10:30 p.m. for those 13 to 17 years old Sunday through Thursday and 12:00 a.m. on Friday and Saturday. If the curfew was violated parents would be contacted and will receive a fine from $100 to $300 for first violation and will face time in custody. The curfew was enforced because of the youth of Philadelphia is out at unreasonable hours "flash mobbing". There have been several incidents where the "flash mob" has assaulted people randomly out of pure ignorance. Not only is Mayor Nutter holding the children responsible he's holding their parents saying in one interview (to parents) "it is your responsibility to know where they are, what they are doing and who they are with. They are your children. You need to raise them. You are responsible for them." Parents will be fined and can face time in jail because of what their child committed and if parents did not come pick their child up the Department of Human Services and the parent could be taken to court for other violations, including neglect of their child. Towards the end of August the curfew was strictly enforced that minors 18 and younger have to be the house by 9 pm.

I am lobbying against the curfew in Philadelphia because I feel as though every minor has to suffer the consequences because of what a group of kids continue to do. I am 17 teen years old and I have never been apart of a "flash mob" and there are many other teens that have not been apart of one also. I like to go downtown to restaurants, parks and concerts.  And I can no longer enjoy myself in the city of Philadelphia because I can get arrested for violating curfew. I also have a job and the curfew makes it very hard for me to transport to work.

I do not think that the curfew should be completely canceled but I think the older teens should not have to be restricted to certain things.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/video?id=8304098