Emulation Handbook

Huang Emulation Handbook

Alan Lee Chan (Student 2019)
Alan Lee Chan

The day when I win in a Fighting game tournament back in the summer, that’s my best thing I’ve done in my life! When the time I bought the game, I still a new player. Playing for fun, fooling around in the game with my friend. I got so much fun! After fooling about 3 years in the game, I found out there are tournament with this game, this fighting game. I looked up the rules and replay, making me want to win just one tournament about this game. And I started training to be a ‘Pro player’ for this game, tried want to be the very best! After getting the winner cup and got back home, I received a call. Hey, it’s my friends’ call, they want to battle me in the game. And I said sure. 1 hour later, they come, then we settle it. The match started, the memory of me training come out from my mind. The struggle. Yes, the struggle. I have been 7 tournaments before I won a tournament.

Jacobo Pastor (Student 2019)
Jacobo Pastor

A Face to Face Game

Twenty-seven hours, five minutes, and thirty seconds ago, I was having sweet dreams at my house in Madrid, Spain. Five minutes later my alarm turned on with its annoying music. It was time to wake up.

The stupid alarm song was still stuck in my head. I couldn’t get it out from up there. I read somewhere that songs get stuck in our heads because our brain wants to maintain our current mood. What doesn’t really make sense because all I could think about was going back to sleep. Although a mix of fast heart beating, stomachache and popped ears didn’t let me do it. All I could do was to watch how the plane, that my mom, sister and I were in, was leaving the clouds behind us at a speed of 600 mph.

Eight hours in this boring plane. No TV, no computer, no soccer ball; just a face to face game with the backseat of the person in front of me.

Colin Taylor-McGrane (Student 2019)
Colin Taylor-McGrane

I woke up that morning, and I really did not feel like going to school. I was very tired and even the slightest of motions took a lot of work. I stumbled down the stairs, grabbed myself a bowl of cereal, and walked out the door. After I left the house, I started to walk down to the corner where I usually catch the school bus. Suddenly, the bus turned a corner, and I started to run so I could get to the corner before the bus did. Once the school bus got to the corner, I got on. As I walked through the rows of seats, I groaned as the loud obnoxious children talked loudly, made stupid jokes, and did other obnoxious things. When I finally found a seat, I collapsed. As I sat there on the leather seats, I thought about how much I didn’t want to go to school. I thought back to a terrible moment yesterday. I was in class, and the teacher was giving a lecture. Since I was extremely bored, I started tapping on my desk softly. The teacher suddenly stopped with the lecture and asked me to stop. To be continued…..

Lucien Hearn (Student 2019)
Lucien Hearn

Hey, William, your handbook is excellent. I'm glad you loved the book as much as I did! I didn't get to finish my scene, but here's what I made of it.

I hadn’t been back to my hometown in a very long time, the last time was about 6 years ago. I had since moved to London. It was busy and bustling every day, but I needed to bear through it for my job. When I was younger I had dreams of being something great. Maybe a soldier, or an astronaut. When I was younger I would tell my father every day after school “Dad, d’ya think I might be a great man? A doctor? A garbage man? A superhero?” I clearly had some large aspirations, wanting to be a waste collector. My father would just laugh and affirm my goals. “I’m sure you can do whatever you’d like. As long as you put forth the effort, you can do anything.” Now I’m an accountant for a small law firm. I didn’t mind much. But this was one of the few times of the year that I had off and no work to do. I thought I’d visit my early years again and walk around Galway. I spent the first few days with my mum and dad catching up on everything. But I quickly realized that I’d never been mature enough to appreciate the history of Ireland. I went along to historic sites, and ended up in the countryside at a warsite. It was strangely peaceful, but I could feel something was a tad off about it. I was captivated by the area for reasons unbeknownst to me. I lost track of time, and ended up staying there until sundown. The quiet, open, grassy lands had become seemingly claustrophobic. The mirthful silence of all but the wind through the trees had turned to squawks of crows and unknown screeches. It felt as if the universe was becoming infinitely centred on the area. I began to feel light-headed and was worried that I might faint. Rising from the ground I saw ethereal figures wearing torn rags.

David Roberts (Student 2019)
David Roberts

The Next Step

I sat up suddenly. “Wha…,” I gasped in my still half asleep state. I scanned the perimeter of the camp, looking for anything unusual. Seeing and hearing nothing else, I laid back down and rolled over. My eyes fell upon my partner’s empty sleeping sack. “I knew I should never have trusted him,” I muttered to herself. “Always leaving without telling me.” I had only recently started to trust Orion. After so long keeping as much distance between myself and him, I was only just starting to get used to his presence. I knew I couldn’t rely on my own mind and strength to survive, but ever since the incident after the crash, I never thought we would becomes allies. But it happened.

“I have to find my father!” I screamed through the rain. “No! My mother knows how to survive out here!” Orion exclaimed back. “She’s been in this type of situation before. We should find her.” “I don’t care about your mother!” I screamed. “I’m finding my dad.” I muttered as I jumped into the sea and down toward the plane. I saw it, with debris scattered all over the place. It was deeper than I thought, and before long, I was out of breath. I flopped around under water to attract Orion’s attention, but nothing worked. I swam up and up all the while. I hadn’t realized how far I swam down. I could feel the void of death closing over me, but I finally breached the surface, and the void fell away. “Thanks for helping me,” I gasped in between breathes. “Oh, sorry about that,” he sneered. I stomped away, furious.

“Ok, now I definitely heard something,” I exclaimed, snapping out of the flashback, and grabbing the sharpened stick I kept with me at all times. 
“Oh, sorry,” Orion said as he clambered through the trees and into their makeshift camp. “Couldn’t sleep, so I figured I would try and catch anything foolish enough to think that darkness means safety.”  

“Catch anything?” I asked. “Nah.”

Afi Koffi (Student 2019)
Afi Koffi

The last time Tamra and I got in an argument, it lasted three weeks. I was in the beginning of freshman year. I don’t remember exactly what we were arguing about but it was her fault. I knew I needed to get in all the studying I could get so right after school. My grade in history was slowly declining. I also knew, though, that Tamare wouldn’t understand that. She would insist on “helping me” or hanging out. Right after school, I left in order to dodge all of those things. Just as I was thinking all of these things, my best friend, Tamara calls. She immediately begins with questions, “Monica, where were you after school? I was looking all over for you.” I thought for a while. How could I answer these questions in a way that she isn’t angered and I could study? I could hang up, turn my phone off and tell her there were technical difficulties. I could tell her that my mom took my phone. I wasn’t sure what to say but I knew I couldn’t do anything that seemed rude or neglectant. When we were in seventh grade, we promised to be best friends for ever. Before then, we did everything, and I mean everything, together. Recently, I’ve been really busy and she has made it clear that she doesn’t appreciate it. I didn’t want to jeopardize our relationship. “Hello, Monica, you there?” I had to act quickly, the worst thing I could do was ignore her. After several seconds of deliberation, I answered her.

“I needed to go straight home and study, I’ll talk to you later.”

“You could’ve just said that, you know,” she responded. She was right. I could’ve just said that. “I was calling to remind you to study.”