English 3 Visual Essay

Tons of sexual fantasies at first sight

The taming of the shrew and Blue is the warmest color

“The taming of the shrew” follows the story of a group of men pursuing a women named Bianca in there own deceitful ways while another man named Petruchio tries to marry Bianca's sister. This is similar to  the movie “Blue is the Warmest color”. The movie is based around a teenage girl named Adele who struggles with her sexuality after having a lesbian encounter with a friend.

In “The taming of the shrew” One of the potential suitors name Lucentio stands out from the rest as the most devoted to getting her. The first time he see’s Bianca he is yet to have any interaction with her and claims that he will make her his wife. This is similar to a scene from the movie “Blue is the Warmest color”. A day after Adelle’s encounter with her friend she is walking down the street when she see’s Emma, a girl with blue hair who she finds very attractive. Although they have to actual interaction Adele starts having deeply sensual fantasies about Emma.  People don’t fall in love with each other but instead use love at first sight as an excuse for sexual desires people have when they first meet someone they find attractive.

”I pray sir, tell me, is it possible that love should of a sudden take such hold”

(Act 1, Scene, 1 Pg41)

This quote comes from Tranio speaking with Gremio after he first meets Bianca. He is describing to Gremio how much he believes he loves Bianca and is asking Gremio if it is possible for him to already love someone this much. Even though this is just Tranio's first time meeting her he is already convinced that he is in love. The interaction he had with Bianca herself was short and public so it isn't as if he was able to get to know her. He is basing this love on purely seeing her. Bianca is described as being beautiful and it isn't hard to imagine this love is coming from imagining himself with her sexually.

Much like Tranio's first encounter with kate Adele feels a similar feeling when she first lays eyes upon Emma

Blue colors.jpg

This scene from “Blue is the warmest color” is from Adele and Emma’s first sight of each other. Emma is walking by with her current girlfriend while Adele is walking past after recently kissing one of her friends. There are no words during this scene but body language tells it all. The moment the two pass each other they lock eyes and continue to look at each other after walking passing by. They both give each other a double take after breaking eye contact as well. After seeing Emma, Adele’s mind runs rapid with extremely vivid thoughts of a potential love life with Emma. Her thoughts take a more sexual turn later in the day as her thoughts become more imaginative. This proves the point that at first sight the feelings you feel for someone are more sexual than love.

”Happily to wive and thrive, as best as I may. Crowns in my purse I have and goods at home, And so am come abroad to see the world”

(Act 1, Scene 2, Line 57-59)

This quote is from a scene where Petruchio is speaking with some of the potential suitors for Bianca. He is telling them that he is new in town and wishes to “wive and thrive” while he’s here. He asks the men if they know anyone who he could potentially attempt to wive, who also has a healthy amount of money. The men point him in the direction of katherine, Bianca's sister. Without ever even meeting katherine and being described her looks he decides that he will be the man to wive her and make her his own. This is based purely on her looks and money.

Petruchio isn't the only person who wants to marry based on looks, so does Emma in this bar scene from the movie.

Blue colors yay.jpg

This scene is from later in the movie when Adele and Emma first actually interact with each other. They are in a lesbian bar that Emma often visits and Adele is brought there by a friend. Emma is here to look for a mate after her previous girlfriend left here. While sitting at bar Emma takes notice of Adele and begins to watch her. As time passes Adele is approached by people and put into a rough situation. Seeing this as her time to pounce Emma rushes in to save Adele after creepishly stalking her throughout the night. The stalking of adele and making a decision to bail her out of a sticky situation was based purely on Adele's looks.

Even though Adele and Emma seemed almost meant for each other in the movie and evened seemed as times to be interested in each other, their relationship still failed. Katherine and Petruchio on the other hand though end up happily married after being extremely dysfunctional for the first few days of their relationship. Both of these movies show us that at first sight there is never love no matter how much people may tell themselves it's there, but rather love develops over time.  

Elani Gonzalez-Ortiz (Student 2018)
Elani Gonzalez-Ortiz

I think you had a really good essay! It was nicely written, good examples and analysis and it flowed well. You brought it back to your thesis always and your thesis stayed clear throughout the essay. Good job.

Elani Gonzalez-Ortiz (Student 2018)
Elani Gonzalez-Ortiz