How Did I End Up Here // Monologue By Kai Payton

God damn I got too drunk last night. I wish I would’ve never went to the bar with Rick, but he was back in town after that tour, and I hadn’t seen him for months.... I ended up in a hotel room by myself and left my wife at home by herself with the kids. *Looks around the room* What happened last night? Condom boxes? Liquor bottles? No no no what did I do? What did I do? *Checks Phone* She called me twenty times last night. She had to be worried sick *pause*

Wait, who’s number is this *reads messages* Last night was great those pills make everything better right? *Puts phone down*  I have to tell her but I can’t because that will ruin the marriage. But how will my wife look at me knowing I let the woman get the best of me even though I was drunk. Why would Rick ever let me leave with her? Even when we were growing up in high school he always got me into the worst situations but he’s my bestfriend a person I could always count on *sighs* Jay you really messed up big time *sniffs* What will my kids think of me if Brittney leaves and they never see their dad again. They’ll think I’m a dead beat. Maybe I could keep this to myself and just act like this night never happened. Or not I’m not the best liar especially when it comes to talking to Brit.

I feel like the most disgusting man alive right now. Nobody will respect the fact that I let myself get to the point where I couldn’t make it home to my wife. Your family should always be your first priority but Rick even when we were younger always brought the worst out of me. This isn’t the first time I ended up in a hotel after a night with Rick but this time is different. You have a wife and kids now and you let a woman take advantage of you. You’re a grown ass man Jay. Why couldn’t I snap out of it. I can’t look at my daughter little face without the thought of what I’ve became last night. I’m a cheater, someone that can’t control himself when he’s out with the guys, and the worst part is that I can’t be her Superhero anymore.

No Jay you’re overthinking this it isn’t your fault she had to see the wedding band on your finger she’s the one in the wrong. She saw how drunk you were and decided to make a move on you. She wanted you more than you wanted her. What you want is waiting for you to come home. You’re gonna get a hell of a talk when you get there. I wonder how many time my kids asked where’s daddy last night. *housekeeping knocks* I’m good. *laughs to himself* Imagine what would’ve happened if Brit found out about last night. Guess I dodged a bullet right there.

*phone rings* Hey Brit. (Pause) I know I know I’m sorry baby I’m on my way home now. I went to a hotel Rick got me tore up from the floor up. (pause) Baby I couldn’t drive home I was done I could barely walk. Rick drove me to the hotel and I’ve just been sleeping as soon as I got here I fell asleep. I just woke up a couple minutes ago. (Pause) Alright okay don't worry I’m on my way home now.

Jayden Tull (Student 2020)
Jayden Tull

From this monologue I can tell that Jay is a family man. He is hurt and disappointed in himself for letting himself reach the all time low and cheat on his wife and family. He also has a soft spot for his friend Rick. He can't help himself but get in trouble when he's with him. This left me wondering, will he ever tell his wife about the night and did Rick know the outcome of the night?

Teyonna Little (Student 2020)
Teyonna Little

Your monologue was decent and intriguing. There was this crazy reality to it. Where some husbands can relate. It also showed how some husbands should react when they are in a similar situation. Your character portrays what a real man is. And I think it's great that you did this.

Benjamin Rivera (Student 2020)
Benjamin Rivera

The sound effects with the echo really made it seem like this guy had a lot to drink and was still a little confused. You could tell he had little memory of the night and deep down this person is a loving father and husband. Everyone makes mistakes but I kinda wanna see what happens next after the phone call.

Rasa Watson (Student 2020)
Rasa Watson

the conflict is really clear in this Monologue. it shows the clear thoughts that are going through his head as he realises what happened, or what he isnt quite certin about. you give us good background information, so that we know what we need to to understabd what is happening. I didnt reall get what the ending change was but iverall it was a decent momologue.

Daeja Richardson (Student 2020)
Daeja Richardson

This monologue was very good. The effect with the echo worked really well with this. It gave me a true sense on how he woke up almost not remembering what happened. along with your different tones from Jay into his thoughts.

Daeja Richardson (Student 2020)
Daeja Richardson

Daeja Richardson (Student 2020)
Daeja Richardson

Sara Frunzi (Student 2020)
Sara Frunzi

I really like your monologue. You nailed the speech patterns and how to write like you talk. I like that you left the problem kind of semi-resolved by him lying to his wife, perhaps saving the conversation until he gets home. Your character- and the audience- goes through a range of emotions with this monologue. Overall, I think this worked really well.

Shaheed Williams (Student 2020)
Shaheed Williams

This monologue was great, I could visualize all the emotions the character was feeling. I learned that the character doesn't always have the best people around him. I also realized the character doesn't want to disappoint his family.

Bahtyah Ward (Student 2020)
Bahtyah Ward

This came out really good. It felt like something from a movie or music video. I like how you brought through all the emotions and his thought process about cheating. It makes you wonder about what will happen next and if Brittney will find out.

Kyle Thomas (Student 2020)
Kyle Thomas

I really like your monologue because people can relate to things. Also, I liked how you connected with the audience. What I had learned from this was that the character was really nervous/regretful because he let a random girl take advantage of him when he was drunk knowing that he was married and had kids. Also, when his wife called him a the end you can hear how the tone shifted in his voice.

Ivan Lopez (Student 2020)
Ivan Lopez

This character is very pure and I like the way he blamed himself at first, but then realised it wasn't really his fault and stops thinking so low of himself.

Chloe Simmons (Student 2020)
Chloe Simmons

I love this monologue. With the character, I can sense the guilt he felt for his wrongdoings. Also, I can see an internal battle with if Rick is really his friend or not. It was notable that he's a good man.

Diamond Wallace (Student 2020)
Diamond Wallace

This monologue was so good. It was also very clear. I learned that your character, Jay, has a loving family at home. He made some bad decisions at home that he regretted. He is afraid to loose his wife and his family over someone he just met. I learned that sometimes people make stupid mistakes in the heat of the moment that will soon affect them and make them feel bad.

Louisa Strohm (Student 2020)
Louisa Strohm

You're monologue came out really nice! I could definitely feel the mixed emotions and worry from your character. You gave good detail and made the audience not only sympathize with your character but get angry at him at the same time. Nice work Kai!

Serenity Baruzzini (Student 2020)
Serenity Baruzzini

I think that this really worked. The way it was read and the intrusive thoughts made it feel natural. Kudos to you. I think you picked something relatable, and you managed to make the listener hate your character yet still feel sympathetic.