How to Emulate your Author- John Green by Autumn Lor

Blank Print Document (1)

Lilly Roman (Student 2019)
Lilly Roman

You know, center city can be pretty quiet when you take away the car horns, people, trolleys, pets, or anything that went bark, honk, beep, and splat. Today, was not one of those days. Instead it was buzzing with energy, more so than usual. Maybe there was some type of event. I would look into it later. He grumbled. It was the first thing he said since we left the station. “I don’t think they liked us very much.” I turned my face towards him out of instinct. His close cut brown hair was hidden neatly beneath an old cap. His gaze never left the ground. The mood was way too heavy. I didn’t like it, but I laughed. Cream filled clouds took their time floating their way through a blue frosted sky. He was still looking at the ground. “How long did it take you to figure that one out?” I asked. I messed up again, I guess. He says I always take jokes too far, that I don’t know when to quit. But this time, it was real funny. I mean, we got kicked out of SEPTA and the police only gave us a warning, so no big deal right? It was only stupid stuff. The kind that don’t hurt anybody. He ran, I ran faster, he laughed, I jumped on the Amtrak desk. It didn’t hurt anybody. Well, maybe the the person behind the desk, but I didn’t touch her. She jumped back all on her own. A man’s gotta make stories for his grandchildren, you know? I’m not being that boring old giesser handing out butterscotch. Give the tiny people something to look up to when they're older, that’s what I say. We walked down another block. He still wasn’t looking at me. His eyebrows were furrowed. “Man, we’re obnoxious,” I joked. “I think the word you’re looking for is stupid. What if they kept us there? What if we weren’t let off with a warning? I knew you were crazy, but I think you may have taken it a bit too far,” he hummed, not as jokingly. “Okay, so maybe I did, but you got to admit. When you saw that chick’s face when I jumped on there.” I started “The police thought we were high,” he slowed down. “That AMTRAK guy jumped so far back, I thought he was gonna fly off.” “What if they called our moms?” I stopped. “Dude, you’re going to college soon.” “Another one of my points! I looked at him straight and almost he glanced back. Almost. He was tugging the strings on his hoodie. I can’t stand it when he gets like this. Like he’s expecting me to slow down. I didn’t really feel like doing that at the moment. He almost glanced at me. “Would you do it again?” He smiled a guilty smile. “Do you really think I’d say no?”

Caroline Pitone (Student 2019)
Caroline Pitone

My Re-Written Handbook: ¨C’mon Jeremy, let's go to the corner store, I want some bubble gum and a honey bun, how much are honey buns? Like 50 cents right?¨ ¨I don't know, you should know, you get them everyday.¨ ¨Man shut up, c’mon let's go, and then after we do I wanna show you something, but we can't stay out late or momma will be pissed.¨ ¨Hurry up and get your honey bun and gum, oh and get me a honey bun too.¨

Jeremy is 11 years old. He's my little brother and he's always buggin´ me. He never stays still for 1 second. Never. And he always wants me to go do things with him, like I'm some type of parent to him. Oh and here he comes, with his huge black bag of goodies. Great. Sincerely, Hunter Next Chapter: ¨Let's go to the Graham house¨ I couldn't believe the words that came out of him. ¨Jeremy, are you crazy? It's 8 pm, there's no way I am going there, especially from the stories we hear, you're out of your mind.¨ Of course Jeremy wants to go to graham house. Graham house is an abandoned house in the woods, and once people go to it, they never come back. Man, Jeremy always wants to do the things that nearly get us killed. ¨Stop being such a baby, do you really believe in those stories? People spread those rumors just to scare kids off, cmon Hunter, just for a lil.¨ Of course I gave in, as much as I didn't wanna go, I gave in.

Next Chapter: We just got into the house. Nothing will happen. But since Jeremy wanted to go so badly, then I guess let's go for an adventure. Jeremy is on the other side of the room. The walls are dark and moldy. The floor is water damaged, so it's easy to sink with a prance. You can tell that no one has been here for a while, the rumors were all made up. ¨Hunter.¨ Jeremy said in a faint tone. ¨Hold on I´m tying my shoe.¨ ¨Hunter!¨ Jeremy just yelled my name in a way I've never heard before. ¨I'm coming, where are you?… Jeremy?¨ I walked into the bathroom in the right hand side of when you first walk into the Kitchen. Jeremy was on the floor with no movement. The air got crisp and the blood on the floor lead me to feel dizzy. I shook him hard, like a wave swirling sand. No movement. No movement. Jeremy was not breathing. I have watched too much of Criminal Minds to know whether or not someone was breathing. And jeremy was not breathing. I attempted to not yell at the top of my lungs. I just wanted my momma. At this point, what could I do? Call 911 and have them say ¨we did the best we could.¨? The lifeless body of Jeremy laid by my side on the creaky wood floor. His hair was soaked and his bubble gum rappers were falling out of his pocket. I cradled him and sobbed into his arms.

Next Chapter: Now I went downstairs to get a bowl of cereal. Nothing different from a hot day in Phoenix Arizona. I poured in my cocoa puffs and my 2% milk. I would always let Jeremy have the toy that came in the box of the cereal. It's a spider ring, this is probably old, from like halloween or something. Isn't it strange how I'm a kid who hates weekends? They are so boring, well now they are. I'm all alone 24/7, and momma is at work till 11 pm tonight, for the 4th night in arrow. I went to my room and layed down on my bed. Hanging in my closet was the black and white suit I have to wear tomorrow. I'm not prepared to face Jeremy again, not like in his condition.

Caroline Pitone (Student 2019)
Caroline Pitone

Kamil Kielar (Student 2019)
Kamil Kielar

Today wasn’t going to be my day, I don’t know why but I just wasn’t feeling it today. I don’t know whether it was hot, foggy weather or the fact I had totally failed that chemistry quiz. I swung from building to building with the same gloomy expression on my face when I suddenly got this weird gut feeling. I never liked these because something bad would always happen whenever I felt this way. Then I saw it. Just my luck. “Heeelp, help,” cried a woman. The average thief, stealing from a helpless lady. Well, this was my queue. I swung down towards him, with my feet extended ready to kick him, when I fell straight down onto the ground. He cut my web. With a throwing throwing knife. This was just the problem I didn’t want to have in my already crappy day. As I picked myself off of the ground I saw the woman run away with her purse and it seemed like all of his attention was now placed on me. Could this day get any worse? “Spider-man, the city’s prized hero picking himself off the ground,” the man said with a grin on his face. I was done and just needed to get home. In sprayed my web straight at his shoulder but he dodged it and it hit the wall behind him. “Is that the best you can do? If so this will be fun… for me,” he exclaimed as he went on laughing. This guy was really starting to get on my nerves with his stupid grin and slicked back hair. He must go through a bottle of gel in a single day. I charged at him as fast as I could and just when I got in front of him he swung, but this time I got the best of him. I ducked his punch and with all my strength, uppercutted him right in his jaw. His head flew back along with the rest of his body as his body crashed onto the concrete ground. Knocked out he laid there and I had realized that there was nothing else for me to do. As the web left my wrist, I saw three cop cars heading in the same direction as my house and that same gut feeling hit me again. This day was going to longer than expected.