I'm Tired:A Monologue

[In a mocking tone] Don’t talk to boys. Make sure you get your homework done cuz you gotta graduate. Life is rough, make sure you set yourself up to be better than me. You know what? I’m tired of silently listening to you spit a bunch of bullshit to me. I know what the hell I’m doing. You don’t have to give me any advice about life at all whatsoever. I got this. Because when I got into high school, I did it on my own. When I had my first boyfriend, I dealt with it on my own. When I almost failed, I fixed that shit on my own. My mom was in the hospital for a week straight two years ago, and you wanna know who got me and Donte up for school at 5:30 every morning? You wanna know who made sure we ate dinner every night? You wanna know who made sure the house was kept in order? Me. I did. With no help from you at all because you wanted to do whatever with some girl or get high with your stupid ass friends and you were too busy to check in on your own fucking kids to make sure we was straight. Why should I listen to anything you have to say? You were never there for me when I needed you most! I’ve been getting bullied since I was young. [Mimicking the school kids] Destiny, you’re ugly. Destiny, why do you have such a big nose? Destiny, how come we’ve never seen your dad? I’d look in the mirror and pick apart everything I could about myself. You would’ve never known. You left me wondering for years about whether or not I was worthy of love because before I could even grow up and do anything to make you mad, you left like a fucking punk. I’m so unbelievably tired of this man. And then you have the audacity to look at me funny when I’m not tryna call you dad.

Do you know that I developed depression because of you? Do you know that at twelve years old, I would sit alone on my bed, staring at my ceiling, tears streaming down my face, wishing that my life would end. Clearly, I wasn’t good enough for you, so what makes me good enough for anybody else? At thirteen, I would ignore stop lights and not care about walking in front of moving cars, because I ultimately wished they would hit me and put me out of my misery. At fifteen, I started dragging razors across my body hoping that just once I would hit the right vein and my life would be over for good. I’m pretty sure you didn’t. Because you never ask, nor do you care enough to listen.

They put me in a hospital and I deadass could’ve went crazy. I was locked in a room by myself all day for a week straight. When I came out, I couldn’t eat with a knife or a fork. They thought I would try to hurt myself with it. I was in that facility for an entire month. While I was in there, I did a lot of thinking. About my life, about my family, about my friends, about myself, about the shit you put us through. I left that place feeling like a new person, but of course, you knocked me back ten steps to where I originally started. But, I am not allowing you to have that level of control over me anymore. I don’t care that I wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for you, I’ve been surviving long enough on my own without you. Don’t try to pull that “I’m your dad” shit on me cuz I don’t wanna hear it. You can either take what I’m saying or leave it. But I know one thing is, I’m fucking leaving.

Kyree Yates (Student 2021)
Kyree Yates

This was a amazing project londyn. it sent chills up my spine and i'm amazed at how you brought the character to life. I know could tell that the dad was probably mad as shit. Anyways great project londyn

Michaela Berger (Student 2021)
Michaela Berger

I love the detail you provided in the text. In your recording, I could hear the emotion in your voice, making it seem like this wasn't a story, it was real life. You did speak very quickly, so I think next time you could slow down a tad. Good job!

Moriah Lahr (Student 2021)
Moriah Lahr

i loved this piece it was very emotional and interesting. it moved me emotionally when she started speaking about how her dad affected her by her crossing the street without looking and cutting herself

Preston Tieu (Student 2021)
Preston Tieu

I like that you stuck to your original idea. The monologue was very descriptive and showed a lot of the person's emotions. With the language and slang you used, it felt real too. Great work.

Matalai Lee (Student 2021)
Matalai Lee

Your monologue was charged with emotion and the way that you delivered it was very impactful. I also really liked the way that you used italics to quote people and include them in your monologue.

Kankoue Folly (Student 2021)
Kankoue Folly

I know everyone is going to say the same thing about how good your monologue was but I want to be the first to let you know that you did an amazing job with this monologue, the emotion behind the words resonate with the audience, you just did an epic job with the monologue, the emotion you put into it, itself, is good enough to make this monologue amazing. GREAT JOB

Julia Dunn (Student 2021)
Julia Dunn

Even though I couldn't listen to your recording, I still can hear the main character's voice and all their emotion. This is a realistic monologue, and is really moving because of how well you wrote it. Great job Londyn!!

Alicia-Noor Kreidie (Student 2021)
Alicia-Noor Kreidie

I think you did an amazing job with the voice over, you could really feel so much of what the character was going through. And the way you spoke made it feel real and like it wasn't a character. It was very well written and it's a great monologue!