Immigration Visualization James Prell

​Timeline of Immigration to America

Reflection:
     Of all the history I've learned through research of this project, the subject I find most fascinating is the blatant racism against Asian immigrants during the early 1900's. The Immigration Act of 1917 required working age male immigrants into the United States to be literate, and banned Asian immigrants for a full ten years. The worst part about this whole episode in American history is that this act is only one of many anti-asian laws passed in the time period. The two most obvious reasons for data points on the graph for me were world war 1 and 2.
     Based on what I've seen through this project, I think that the largest immigrant population over the next twenty years will be from middle eastern countries. We are already experiencing a large influx of refugees from Iran and Palestine. The Arab spring will definitely cause a deal more immigrants to leave their countries for more stable areas of the world.
     I decided to use lucid chart to make the graphic because it was a way to make an easy to follow graphic of a timeline that represented reason for the changes in the immigration graph.
     The challenging part about working for a group in this case was coordinating the times when we could all work together. We only ended up with one work period in which everyone was present.