Little Sister Podcast by Kamil, William and James(in spirit)

Episode 1: The Literal and the Figurative

This episode is about the novel 1984 by George Orwell. We begin the podcast by discussing the history of the creation of the novel and the inspiration for the novel. We continue by giveing a short summary about the sections of the novel we have read so far. Once all the context for the discussion is given, we begin by focusing on the character of Julia. We talk about her intentions and reasons for the commiting the actions she does. Moving on to the main character we begin a comparison of the two seeing how they are contradictory characters yet end up together in a relationship of sorts. Then we continue to talk about the language of the novel and how they are limited in their speech. The language of newspeak has a very limited vocabulary and character are never really able to truly express themselves. Lastly we end off the discussion by talking about the big oxymorons which are shown throughout the novel.

Evidence

• “The eyes follow you about when you move” (1)

• “The black mustachioed face gazed down from every commanding corner” (2)

• “You had to live in the assumption that every sound you made was overheard and, except in darkness, every movement scrutinized” (3)

• “FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. WAR IS PEACE. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH” (16)

• “DOWN WITH BIG BROTHER” (19)

• Memory holes (39)

• “I love you” (110)

• Renting Mr. Charrington's room (142)

• Julia brings luxuries that only the inner party gets access to (144)

• Winston and Julia discuss Brotherhood (157)

Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 12.12.33 AM
Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 12.12.33 AM
Podcast

Sydney Rogers (Student 2019)
Sydney Rogers

The background music is really nice and makes me excited to listen to it. You guys also did a good job of sounding energetic which also made the podcast more appealing. Muy bien :)

Israt Jahan (Student 2019)
Israt Jahan

I liked that the podcast and how it flowed through nicely. and like the leadership role of william moving to the next topic and the transition was nicely done and not wired.

Naima DeBrest (Student 2019)
Naima DeBrest

I fell like you guys did a great job on your first podcast and I like that you devoted time to trying to figure out the female character's (I can't remember her name) intention in the book and if she really fears the government and what she will do to try and change it.

Lily Rivera (Student 2019)
Lily Rivera

Love the little intro jingle you guys had, as well as the intro you had to the book, it helped to keep those of us who haven't read the book following along. Your description of the book's society was super interesting and was a good setup for your discussion. I thought it was nice how Kamil set up the first topic that was up for discussion as a question. By setting up questions instead of just stating topics and discussing them is a good way to keep a conversation flowing because the other members can even come against the question stated with a question of their own.
I really appreciate the comment about language that you made, Kamil, "It takes away depth of language we sometimes take for granted." I thought that point was super interesting and important to make in the context of your book. Lastly, don't rush the conversation you guys are having! Let yourselves have a good discussion that flows between topics. Great job, guys!

Kiah Johnson (Student 2019)
Kiah Johnson

I liked the fact that you guys kept your normal personalities, it worked as a good contrast between serious and sarcasm, which in the end was brought together well when sharing ideas. I also liked how you guys didn't rush into any of your topics, it mostly flowed into each discussion, and not forcing quotes into the podcast.

Sydney Rogers (Student 2019)
Sydney Rogers

Lauren Matthews (Student 2019)
Lauren Matthews

This podcast was very detailed and gave background context to what was going in the book for readers who may not know about this book. Kamil and William both share conversations, so there's an equal amount of talking. Overall, Great Job!