Lucía Galper Capstone

IMG-5388
IMG-5388

My capstone is about donating to kids in poverty/in need. During my research, I learned about the crisis of poverty in Philadelphia and made a decision to focus on this topic for my project. First, I reached out to many different organizations before choosing Cradles to Crayons, which is a non profit organization that has been around since 2002 and it still running strong. They serve kids birth to age 12 and their families. It was the best fit for my project. They were also well organized and responsive, providing information about items they needed and how to drop them off. Once I selected the organization, I sent out emails to my neighbors, friends and family about donating items. I asked people to drop off their donations at my house, where I had set out a big box. I kept it out for about two weeks. I collected about 50 of each item. I also had to arrange with the manager of Cradles to Crayons to drop off the items at the site, where they had a huge bin outside for all the donations.

I learned a lot from this process and project. I learned that it takes time and effort to finish and accomplish something that others will benefit from, but it is worth doing it. It was clear that the community wanted to help out and that made me feel that I am part of a community were people actually care about what is going on in our city.

Link to bibliography below

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lJa3Q07sqE8w0kxC5EBLfXZGyf5w39jHmbq26x-SdG4/edit?usp=sharing