Macbeth Escape Room

By Shenglan Qiu & Sasha Mannino

For our creative project, we did an escape room. An escape room is a game in which people are locked inside a room and have to solve a series of clues to get out. The setting we chose is Dunsinane, the castle that Macbeth and Lady Macbeth live after crowned. We built an insight model of the castle with a bedroom and a living room. We created a puzzle for the players to solve. The clues are made from the quotes in the play. Most of the quotes are significant part of the play and some are our personal favorite.

The rules to the escape room are simple. The player will search for clues in the model and use the book, Macbeth by William Shakespeare, to assist them. Once the player is done finding all of the clues, they have to use them to solve the lock. They have to figure out how to use the clues to solve the lock. There can be as many players as one wants, but we recommend 2-5 player. The limit time to the game is 45 minutes. The goal is to solve the lock mechanism according to the clues and use the key inside of the lock to escape. Anything that is not on the tan, crumpled paper is not a clue. If you solve the lock before the timer goes off, you win. If you don’t solve it before the timer goes off, you lose.

Throughout the model, we added small details that refer back to the play. For example, In the bedroom, we added a painting of the flower representing Lady Macbeth’s line, “Look like th’ innocent flower, but be the serpent under’t.” There is also a wine bottle and a candle, calling back to Lady Macbeth’s sleepwalking and her probable alcoholism. On the bottom floor, there is a letter that Macbeth wrote to Lady Macbeth at the beginning of the play (this is not a clue). Also, we place a dagger with blood beneath the dining table representing Macbeth’s guilt of killing Duncan and his other murders.

Most things in this model is made from scratch including the lock mechanism. We used mainly cardboard and other materials such as scrapbook paper, fabric and etc. Some of the accessories are from an actual dollhouse. Since the house is made out of scratch, it can be fragile. So please handle all the pieces with care.  If you feel that something is glued down, don’t pull on it because there no clues in anything that is permanently attached.

Iris Peron-Ames (Student 2022)
Iris Peron-Ames

I love your project so, so much. It's honestly one of my favorites out of all those I've seen. You guys are just so creative and bright, and I would never have thought to do this. I LOVE IT SOOOO MUCH AND I HONESTLY WANT TO KEEP IT OK I'M GOING TO STOP

Also, I just want to thank you (Sasha) for contributing to our own project.

Niyat Siyum (Student 2022)
Niyat Siyum

The crazy part is how you guys were creating this in class. Each day the house kept getting better and better. You guys paid attention to so many things and this project was done with great effort and skill. Good job.

Spencer Lawrence (Student 2022)
Spencer Lawrence

This was super creative! The room is extremely detailed, and it looks like you guys spent a very long time on this. The escape room makes so much sense, and the solution is really cool! Great job Sasha and Shenglan!