Music

“Yeah can’t talk with a gun in your mouth, huh?” I sang sternly.

“WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?!”

“It’s just a song,” I said to my mom.

She frowned, “Sing something more positive,”

“But it’s just a song!”

“Stop chanting that music, it’s brainwashing you.”

“Okay, I guess.” I chuckled.

Whenever I listen to and share my music, I am constantly criticized for what I like or who I listen to. I can be listening to one of the greats such as Biggie or Tupac and as long as it abides by my mother's rules, she’s fine. But as soon as I say something that I like, I get criticized for being myself. It doesn’t matter what genre it is, it can be pop, hip-hop, jazz, RNB, whatever it is, as long as I’m listening to it or even saying the words, I am “drawling” or “need to calm down”. It makes me feel out of place. Like I am some kind of weirdo that is obsessed with music.. But it’s not like that though. Well at least not in my eyes. Just because I like music, people think that I am now out of the place of a “Human being”: it means that I am special in my own way. Is there anything wrong with that? NO! Yes I sing lyrics but I don’t live that lifestyle and that's where my moms problem starts because she feels like if I sing the song then I will live it. I know funny right?

I have a deep connection with music. Ever since I was younger, like an infant, my dad would play his old dj tracks in his headphones and put them on my head. I even have a picture of that. I’ve loved music ever since. This may sound far fetched but my Dad is literally like the only one who understands me when I talk about my musical side of me. I have friends that I can talk with about different stuff related to music, but when I talk to my dad about music, we can relate to much. So many  different songs or albums from different time eras from the 70’s to now including tracks off of movies, tv shows or just tracks in general because we just love it that much. I love how strong of a musical connection me and my Dad have.

Don’t get me wrong, I still love my mom but the connection me and my father have on a musical level is crazy. We like the same genres and we are open to most musical content. I can talk to him for hours about music but when it comes to my mom, she’s more oldschool and likes the singers and is not really intrigued by rap like I am. We have a connection so strong sometimes it feels like rap could be a person, I have a love for rap. It's a part of me. And no, I’m not just ignorant to like rap, I like multiple genres of music but rap is my favorite genre of music.

Some of the artists that I like the most are Kur, Trippie Redd, XXXtentacion, Ski Mask the Slump God, Comethazine, The Notorious BIG, Tupac Shakur, NWA, Mos Def, Mase and Junior Mafia. I like these artists because they are popular but because they make music that speaks to me

Many people think that rap is all bad and thought there may be some negative things but, these artists are always pushing positive vibes regardless to their lyrics. They always show creativity in their music. They can talk about more than how many guns they have or how many women they fornicate with or how many racks or bands they have. I mean yes, they have all mentioned it but it’s not always about that with these specific artist. They can paint a picture with lyrics alone and that's what makes them so amazing in my eyes. Regardless of the music they make they were still good people and most of them know how to differentiate music from life. That's what makes these artist so good and why I fell in love with their music.    

Brielle Thompson (Student 2021)
Brielle Thompson

I really enjoyed reading this essay because I can relate to it in many ways. One way is if I am listening to modern music around oldr people that always have something to say like "this generation" or "they don't know what real music is." Then , sometimes when I am listening to R&B love songs it's always someone saying "you in your feelings" when that's not even the case. i feel like some people don't understand the love some have for music, yes you listening to the type of genre based on your mood sometimes but other times you listen because you genuinely like the artist or song. People are always quick to judge when it comes to music. But i like how you had a little dialogue in the beginning and how you went back to when you were young that gave your readers an understanding on your backstory. Also, how you went into naming artist of the different im periods it shows your anecdotes and your true feelings towards the topic. Finally, you kind of sum it up with words of wisdom and your last thoughts which resulted in a great reflection.

Anthony Castro-Gomez (Student 2021)
Anthony Castro-Gomez

Yo bro, this essay is tuff. I like how you talked about your connection with your pops with music, cause like that's rare for a teenager, well from what I have seen, to have such a deep connection with their father when it comes to music. I respect you for this cause I never knew about this connection you have with rap, and the different variations ranging from jazz rap from back then to emotional rap more so from our era.

Hector Sanchez-Ortiz (Student 2021)
Hector Sanchez-Ortiz
  1. The part of this essay that moved was when he talked about how music helped him bond with his dad.
  2. He used backstory to tell us about times that people judge him because of his taste in music. He used anecdotes to go into detail about why he loves music. He used reflection in order to reflect on what his favorite artist are saying in their songs.
Isabela Curtin (Student 2021)
Isabela Curtin

Anthony! I loved your essay. I believe that this struggle happens to a lot of people. The idea that your parents can comment on things you like is always a obstacle. Your backstory and talking about how you and your father relate to each-others music taste is very nice.