My Eyes by Louisa Strohm

“Oh my god Penny, your eyes are like so blue.”

(rolls eyes) Thanks a bunch. I hate that phrase. Since the day the pigment entered my eyes I think I’ve been receiving compliments on them. “Oh my, look at your eyes!” or “Wow, your eyes are so pretty!” When I was younger, I found it nice to be complimented on one of my physical features so often, I was very fond of the attention. But as I grew older, and became a teenager I began to hate it. For me, the worst thing about receiving a compliment is that the complimentor always feels the need to be thanked, and will get all offended if you don’t thank them. It’s like, “Gee thank you SO much for letting me know that my eyes are blue. I’ve never heard that or seen myself in a mirror.” I’m just really sick of it, you know? When you attend a co-ed high school as a respectively pretty girl with blue eyes, boys love to tell you about it. “You have such big, beautiful eyes.” they’ll tell you. They’ll tell you they’ve never seen eyes like yours and ask you if it runs in your family. They will pretend that they care. They really don’t. I know now that they will tell you what they think you wanna hear, just so they can feel like they’re gonna get somewhere with you. Don’t let them. Do I not have anything else worth complimenting? I know I’ve never been the smartest. I’ve never been the most artistic or talented in anything really. But nothing, really? They’re just eyes, my sister and dad have the same exact pair. Hell, lots of people have the same pair. They’re blue, trust me I know. You know, maybe I’m wrong for complaining. I’m sure lots a girls would kill to have my eyes, and receive attention like I do. You know what no, I’m right. If you really like me, and you wanna compliment me, you should dig a little deeper than just finding the first physical feature you notice and uttering something that you think I’ve never heard before. Compliment me on my personality or on my mind. Honestly, anything but my eyes at this point. Compliment me on the point I made in that class we have together, or tell me I have a nice speaking voice. ANYTHING but the eyes. Please, spare me from having to hear about the two things that fill the round sockets on my face. Complimenting should be about making someone smile unexpectedly by surprising them with your fondness of a feature that not many others recognize. THINK before you compliment, because I’m done saying thank you.

Donald Moses (Student 2020)
Donald Moses

Your character hates people only complimenting about her eyes and only her eyes. She gave examples even I would agree with to be annoyed if only one thing about me was the only thing I got complimented for.

Sara Frunzi (Student 2020)
Sara Frunzi

I really like the range of emotions that your character goes through. She's angry about only receiving compliments on her eyes, but also reveals a slightly deeper struggle, hinting at the way that boys like to give compliments to pretend that they're going somewhere with a girl. As someone with blue eyes, I definitely relate. Nice monologue! (Btw, I love your speaking voice)

Payton McQuilkin (Student 2020)
Payton McQuilkin

I really liked your monologue because it's a very true feeling. To be complimented on your physical features instead of what really on the inside. I always really liked the way you were really descriptive when writing this. Great job Lou!

Kai Payton (Student 2020)
Kai Payton

I really like your monologue because it's relatable and still happens a lot now. I learned that your character is tired of getting the same compliment 24/7 from people thinking they're being nice. She wants deeper compliments something that will actually make her happy not just a physical compliment.

Mia Concepcion (Student 2020)
Mia Concepcion

I felt a lot of things about your character when reading and listening to your monologue, which is an amazing. You wrote it so I didn't solely hate or like her, I felt both. Your character is seemingly pretentious in the beginning for being annoyed that she gets a lot of compliments. But, in the end I came around to her thinking and understand where she's coming from. To me, a good monologue makes you feel different things or see different sides of a character.