My Languages

“Hey”

“Wassup”

“Watchu been up to?”

“Nothin much still playin for this awful team”

“Whats wrong wit it?”

“We just awful, the team is so bad”

This was early in the morning at suburban station on a wednesday. Out of the crowd of people coming up the steps I ran into my friend Jelani, like I do every morning. As all the people walked around close to a light jogging speed we stopped and talked by one of the many tan and brown marble pillars about how the teams we were on were doing. He hated his team, as usual. It seemed like every team he went to he hated.

“You playing for them next year?” I ask

“Nah” he replied.

I laughed

“Who you playin for?” he asked

“Gallagher, still” I said

“When do they have tryouts?”

“Sometime soon, I just got the email the other day” I said.

If this was a conversation with me and my mom it would sound so much different. It would be a lot more proper than the conversation I have with my friends. It would sound like this:

“Hey son” My mom says.

“Hey” I respond.

“How was your day at school?”

“Good”

“Get any homework today?”

“Yea”

“What classes?”

“Algebra and Spanish” My usual answer so she doesn’t bother me about any more homework

“Well you better get to it and stop messing around with whatever else you’re doing and start on your homework”

“OK” I say

This conversation usually happens when she comes home from work and she sees me eating something standing up behind the counter in the kitchen. But I think my language changes like this depending on where I go because I don’t want to stand out and be considerd weird. I rather just fit in and be like everyone else. I hate being the center of attention most of the time, I only like it when im trying to say something important or I just want alot of people to hear what im saying.

Alexander Gomez Torres (Student 2018)
Alexander Gomez Torres

I learned that you have a minor switch up to the way you speak when around mom against being around friends. The big understanding would be that his language changes depending on where he is at. He doesnt like being the center of attention therefore he tries to speak normal to avoid that. I enjoyed the use of dialogue.

Israh Mohammed (Student 2018)
Israh Mohammed

I learned that you use different slang when it comes to talking with your friend or speaking to you mother. The big understanding is the way you use language changes depending on who you are communicating with. I liked how you showed this difference, throughout the dialogue.

Taytiana Velazquez-Rivera (Student 2018)
Taytiana Velazquez-Rivera

1) I learned that you kind of switch up your language when you talk to mom vs. our friends. This is somewhat relatable because I do the same with my dad. 2)I got that your big understanding was that you'd rather be left alone unless you need to say something or want to; so in turn you use your language with our mom so she doesn't bother you. 3)I like how you compared the two quotes.