Power of Celebrities

Teens like role models,  either famous athletes or some type of celebrity, or even their parents. This is the person they aspire to be or want to be like due to the celebrity’s lifestyle. They keep up with their idol’s trends and their life. Everyone has that person no matter the age, but it is most commonly found in teenagers. So, it can be said that teenagers learn first and foremost of what they want to do in life from observing celebrities on social media.

Kylie Jenner, one of the media’s most powerful people, started a trend towards the end of 2014, going into 2015, when she got lip injections as a teenager. She revealed that she got lip injections, after many interviews of denying that she didn’t get them, on her very own show, Life With Kylie.  According to Emma Akbareian, from The Independent News, on May 7th of 2015, some clinics the revelation had led to a surge in enquiries from the public, wanting to copy her pouting lip look after getting her lips done. After Kylie Jenner confirmed to getting lip injections on her show, Life with Kylie, it sent out a word to many teenagers, telling them that it was okay to get lip injections, and this inspired young teens that look up to her, to follow her ways of getting their lips done. Dr. Leah Totton from Dr. Leah Clinics told The Independent her clinic has reported a staggering 70% rise in lip filler inquiries in the last 24 hours from when Kylie Jenner posted her first picture with her lips done on instagram, with the caption “1 2 many selfies”. Because of the power that the celebrity had on social media and in general, she got a hold of the mind’s of the teenagers following her, inspiring those who did, to get their lips done. They did something they might have not even know they wanted to do, but because after seeing it happen to someone famous, it pushed them to do so.

Kim Kardashian, a major part of the media today that many people follow, started a trend  with when it came to body shape. One of the main things Kim Kardashian is known for is her body. People consider her to be today’s idea of a perfect body, with the curves and the thickness. She revealed her way of getting a bigger butt, given from her trainer Gunnar Peterson, which is by doing squats and other things in reps, using weights that is perfect for each body, but eventually having to use heavier weights. Hearing about this news and getting influenced by the body she has to get a body like that of their own, her fans and regular citizens began following after her ways. According to Daily Mail, a teenager named Charlotte Webb of 18 years old revealed how weights with squats gave her the perfect Kim Kardashian bottom. Webb also revealed that she began following after fitness icons on instagram because she was very unhappy with her body. If Kim Kardashian had not shown the world the body she had, people would not get the idea of working themselves out for the body they think is ideal. Webb and many other people realized what they wanted their body to look like and did what they had to do after seeing what Kim Kardashian looked like and what she did to keep her figure.

In Korea, plastic surgery is very big and popular. People that live in Korea get plastic surgery daily and it is seen as a normal thing. Some might get it for their birthday and some might get it just for their own happiness, but most get it due to celebrities getting their face done. They see that as inspiration for them to get it for themselves. The article The K-Pop Plastic Surgery Obsession states that “Feminist criticisms of body objectification are barely heard, and the racial argument that this surgery is a form of "trying to look white" has faded -- due to the rise of Korean pop music culture. K-pop has created a completely new beauty aesthetic that nods to Caucasian features but doesn't replicate them.” K-pop, which is Korean pop music, or even K-dramas, have korean celebrities who have admitted to getting plastic surgery. There was a plastic surgery called the v-line surgery, and after seeing the famous korean icons like Hani, Luna, and Hyomin get this surgery, many fans and regular people in the United States and in Korea began following after them, changing their face into what they thought was better. These people appear all over media and any social website. They provide pictures of their face on instagram, showing what they look like after these surgeries. Also according to the article, a teen named Hailey Kim told the press that she did not like what she saw when she looked in the mirror. She wanted to change a lot of her face and after seeing celebrities do so, she decided it was what she wanted as well. People get influenced by the cultural perspectives all around them to get their face done, and because the celebrities are all over social media. Those who follow and keep up with these icons see that this is happening and think that is it okay. They get the idea of wanting to get plastic surgery as well. They see it as something they want to do in life after seeing it from their most idled person and follow after them.

If teenagers stopped to think about it, they would realize that observing others is not just about learning how to be more like the person they want to be, but realizing what person they could be for the better, and learning more about themselves while approaching life. Being someone unique and different instead of someone trying to be like media celebrities is what teenagers should learn from media.

“How Celebrities Inspire Fashion Of The Youth.” Uloop, uiowa.uloop.com/news/view.php/112012/How-Celebrities-Inspire-Fashion-Of-The-Youth-. Accessed 25 Sept. 2017.

Akbareian, Emma. “Kylie Jenner lip filler confession leads to 70% increase in enquiries for the procedure.” The Independent, Independent Digital News and Media, 7 May 2015, www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/news/kylie-jenner-lip-filler-confession-leads-to-70-rise-in-enquiries-for-the-procedure-10232716.html. Accessed 25 Sept. 2017.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/05/the-k-pop-plastic-surgery-obsession/276215/

Spollen, Micki. “Fashion trends started by the Kardashians.” TheList.com, The List, 4 Apr. 2017, www.thelist.com/54591/fashion-trends-started-kardashians/.

Davis, Arianna, et al. “10 Ways Kim Kardashian Majorly Changed Pop Culture Forever.” Kim Kardashian West Social Influence Pop Culture Icon, www.refinery29.com/2016/10/126751/kim-kardashian-influencer-pop-culture.

Genero Accooe (Student 2019)
Genero Accooe

This 2fer helped expand my thinking on the roles that Superstars have. I also liked the 2fers use of the sources, using more than one piece of evidence from one source shows Ailins resourcefulness and the 2fers effectiveness as well. A question I would have is, why do people like the Kardashians become idols only due to their looks and cosmetic choices.

Alan Li (Student 2019)
Alan Li

This 2fer taught me that celebrities can have influences on decisions other people make to themselves such as plastic surgery. From reading this 2fer, it helped convince me that celebrities can have an indirect influence on their followers. Based on the 2fer, I started to realize the negative effects celebrities can have towards how one would see oneself to their favorite idols.

Paxton Wentzell (Student 2019)
Paxton Wentzell

Your 2fer did a great job explaining how much influence popular people and role-models have on the public. It was very convincing and I've definitely gained a new perspective on the topic. Your essay covered both the perspective of the role-model and the perspective of the public. Which is very refreshing, when compared to other biased 2fers.

Kyianna Thomas (Student 2019)
Kyianna Thomas

This 2fer really helped me understand more on my people call these celebrities their role models. It convinced me that people always wants to be like someone else but is blind eyed by the fact that these celebrities get exposed and shamed on everyday. One thing I want to know is how are boys when they have celebrities that they look up to

Dayanna Hughes (Student 2019)
Dayanna Hughes

This 2fer taught me that, there is an influence in practically everything we do. It changed my opinion on social media, and what we deem as acceptable. It also expanded my thinking on how old should people be to really start a social media page. Since younger people are more influenced, should the age of users be more strict? what are your thoughts? *The only thing to note is that in your paragraph about Korea, there was not really enough to support your thesis. Mainly because you said celebrities, but you didn't list any celebrities in that paragraph, you were talking about Korea as a whole.

Alexandrea Rivera (Student 2019)
Alexandrea Rivera

I like how you don't just have one example or one source for all of your information being given out. I also like the viewpoint you took on this, I think that you did a very good and interesting way of looking at these different situations. I personally don't agree with the people online being looked as a role model. And I personally don't agree with all teens wanting to do thee things for themselves and to better one's self. I think sometimes it could be the pressure that is put on them from society to be a "perfect" human being.

Eli Zimmerman (Student 2019)
Eli Zimmerman

This 2fer opened me up to the world of social media influence and how truly powerful people like Kylie Jenner and Kim Kardashian are. It's fascinating to see how blindly people follow these trends because they're shamed into them.

I want to know why this is especially popular in younger women who are so obsessed with these celebrities.