Printmaking Blog Post: Brooke Hill

IMG-6876
IMG-6876
The element that I have is platinum, and the atomic number is 78. This elements name 'platinum' is derived from the Spanish term platina, meaning "silver". Platinum was discovered in South America by Antonio de Ulloa in 1735 and N. Wood in 1741, but had been used by pre-Columbian Indians. Platinum can be used in catalytic converters, laboratory equipments, electrical contacts, dentistry equipment, and jewelry.
I got the idea of making a crown because I knew that some crowns are made out of platinum. I didn't want to make anything thing that would look boring. I wanted to make something that is simple but would still look nice.The process that I went through was kind of a struggle. It was hard to draw the crown really small and to draw the jewel in the middle. It was easy to trace onto the tracing paper. It was a small struggle to put m artwork onto the plate. I didn't carve deep enough into it, so you couldn't really see my drawing when I put the ink one. After a few more tries of carving, I was able to see my drawing. 

If I could do something differently, I would be more careful when carving into the plate. I would also try not to apply so much ink onto my plate. Sometimes if I did, you wouldn't be able to see my drawing but it was also because I didn't carve good enough. I enjoyed putting the ink onto my plate and pressing it down onto a piece of paper. It was really nice to be able to do this It was nice to see my finishing product.