Rubber Stamp - Cut out

My work symbolizes an owl, and a heart. The owl represents intelligence, and femininity. And I feel like that describes me because I see myself as intelligent, and I’m a female. The heart represents love. And I feel like that describes me because I see myself as a caring, and loving person. I purposely choose the color pink, because first it is one of my favorite colors, and second because pink is a delicate color, it represents sweet, nice, feminine, and it’s associated with flowers, and cotton candy. And I feel like those describe me as well. I mostly brainstormed words that described me physically. For example, I am female, and a student at SLA. There are some other words I brainstormed that doesn’t associate with my physical character for example I am friendly, and intelligent.

This is a positive space art. Positive space is when the picture focuses on the main focus instead of the background. Unlike negative space which focuses on the background instead of the main focus. For my art, I just drew my symbol in a pink colored construction paper. In order to successfully make a positive art, you must make the symbol look like a shape. So when you cut it out, you cut out the outer layers. Then after you finish cutting it, you glue it to another paper. Positive and negative space may seem confusing at first. But, once you do more research about it you’ll understand it better.

Screenshot 2017-05-12 at 1.48.21 PM
Screenshot 2017-05-12 at 1.48.21 PM