Sex Slavery

I am participating in this project called “You and the World Project”. It was given to me in my English class and basically what we have to do is find an issue in the world and interact with it. So based on this, I chose to have my topic be Sex Slavery.

Many people believe that slavery no longer occurs, whereas that is not the case. Specifically, I will like to inform the world of sex slavery. Sex trafficking is the oppression of women and children being forced into forms of sexual activity. I have done research on many personal stories from women and children who have gone through forms of this. According to this article, I have learned that sex trafficking occurs in places like Cambodia and India, but not only that, they also occur in places in the US such as New York. The sex typically happens in places called brothels, which are houses of prostitution.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/09/world/asia/cambodia-cfr-mira-sorvino-karaoke-brothels/index.html

It is estimated that there are 8.4 million children in slavery or practices similar to slavery. Girls being sold into sex slavery are more likely to be in between the ages of 10-15. There are 215 million child laborers 5-17 years old (2010). Sex slavery is recorded to be the worst and highest in Asian countries. Many girls in Cambodia are said to be dead by the age of 20 with AIDS because of slavery. Mother’s at times sell their girls to sex slavery because of lack of money. According to this site human trafficking produces $9.5 billion a year in the United States. A sex slave can be forced to have sex up to 20-48 times per day. Pimps here in the United States can make $150,000-$200,000 per child each year and pimps usually have 4-6 girls. All the money earned has to be given to a pimp and if the victim does not meet their quota for the day, they may be asked to remove their clothing so they can get a beating. Kolab, a survivor of sex trafficking in Cambodia was beaten with a stick until she fainted, often getting electrocuted and getting cut by a knife by her pimp. One out of every three runaway teens are lured into prostitution within 48 hours of being in the street. Most victims suffer from emotional trauma, are under mental and physical threat and have symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder.

http://www.chestnuthilllocal.com/2014/08/26/sex-trafficking-victims-pa-treated-criminals/

In order to fight against sex trafficking, efforts must be made to eliminate gender discrimination and inequality. Poverty and the lack of protection from abuse and violence perpetuate and feed into the demand for sex trafficking. According to this article “It is critical to implement legal safeguards for women and girls to alleviate poverty and create greater possibilities for non-exploitative options for girls and women”. Sex tourism is also another form of sexual exploitation. A sex tour operator makes it feasible for someone that travels in from another country access to sex slaves in that city. Advocates against this type of tourism have worked hard to criminalize and prosecute sex tour operators under the law.

I am interested in this topic because, aside from women, forced sex happens to children my age! It is a mind blowing situation that needs to be discontinued and terminated. This hurts lots of families all over the world and  I expect to learn more about the personal encounters and stories these women and children have to share.

Annotated Bibliography

Amal Giknis (Teacher)
Amal Giknis

Very interesting and important work, Siani. Consider taking Lydia up on her offer to connect you to someone who can provide additional insight. (Thanks, Lydia!)

Alexa Lahr (Student 2018)
Alexa Lahr

I deffently feel strongly about this topic. I even have a braclet on that says "not for sell". What grabed my attion was the data that 10-15 year olds are in prostition. That just sadend me so much. It makes me want to do something about it! I am excited on your final project :)

Lydia Anderson (Student 2018)
Lydia Anderson

One of my Mom's friends is a lawyer that deals with domestic violence cases. She may be able to provide insight into this topic or point you in the direction of someone who may be able to help. I will send you the information to contact her tomorrow. I think this topic is interesting because sex trafficking is still an issue that will not go away simply because people choose not to think about it. I think your project could shed a much needed light on the subject of sex trafficking.

Sandra Watson (Student 2018)
Sandra Watson

I like this topic that you chose because its a touchy topic that people in schools don't talk much about and I would like to see what you do because this is a topic that even I am slightly ignorant about . Its talked about on the news and online but not the way it should. I can not wait to see your agent of change .