The Art of Printmaking

Printmaking is a type of art that is made by printing, most commonly made on paper. This process was created 105 AD and originated in China. Printmaking is made by drawing out a design, carving out the negative space with a carving tool, applying ink to the drawing then lastly transfer ink to a piece of paper. There are different form of printmaking but the main four that contrast with relief printing are called intaglio, lithography, serigraphy, and mono-printing. When you cut an image into metal it is called intaglio. Lithography is based on repelling chemicals of water or oil. Monoprint is one version that cannot be copied. Serigraphy is a silk screen printing that was invented in the 20th century. Serigraphy was invented in America. Printmaking also made an appearance in Europe in the 15th century. Printmaking is revolutionary. It adopts different techniques from different countries and they all make different looks. For example Chinese printmaking are usually black and white and focuses more on gradients and American printmaking is more colorful and shadow is often applied. Printmaking is important because the various processes that are a part of making a print is through printmaking.

https://www.britannica.com/art/printmaking/History-of-printmaking

This piece of artwork is artistically interesting because I notice the picture is black and grey print with pops of brown. I wonder why the artist chose these colors and how the mood or the emotion shown will change by using colorful colors. What if the two men wasn’t in the background wasn’t in this print, how will it change the picture’s meaning. What if there was a gunman in the picture, how would that change the meaning.