Who's Safe ? By: Naima, Kyianna, & Hamidou

How to play:

1. This Game is for 3 to 9 people.

2. Shuffle the Resources deck, every player grab two cards

3. Players should keep the cards that they have (Resource deck) to themselves unless they decide before the first Direction card is chosen that they would like to play as a team with up to one other player. If two players decide to become a team they will have to share their cards from the Resource deck throughout the entire game.

4. The first player or team rolls the set of dice, they then to pick out that same number of cards from the Directions deck, read the last card from you choosing and put the other cards back in the deck

5. Players follow the directions on the cards and complete the actions.

6. The game continues with each player/team picking cards from the Direction pile.

7. The game is over when there are no more Direction cards

8. Whoever is holding the fire card from the Resources deck is declared the winner

9. If a player runs out of Resources cards while the game is still being played they have “died” and are out.

Rationale:

In the novel The Road, Cormac Mccarthy uses many items to represent the connections between survival and perseverance. Our game “Who's Safe” will makes the connection from the novel to tell the story in a new format. There are two different decks that are used, one is the Resource deck that contains item that the farther and son frequently came across like food or drinks or virtues that were important like dreams. One example novel resource that was used by the man to help the boys survival was the shopping cart. They use the shopping cart to carry useful items which help them throughout the novel. The direction gives a guide to hopefully help the players survive just like the road. The Road was used to give a guide the boy to safety and left the man to die. The dice are used to help the player collect as many cards which would help them move toward safety.

Quotes for gun, cart, the fire, and dreams

Throughout the novel the man is often seen dreaming about terrible situations but his dreams do vividly link him back to the life he once knew. When elaborating about the dreams and their place he said, “He mistrusted all of that. He said the right dreams for a man in peril were dreams of peril and all else was the call of languor and death. He slept a little and he slept poorly. He dreamt of walking in a flowering wood where birds flew before them he and the child and the sky was arching blue but he was learning how to wake himself from just such siren worlds.” (Page 18)

This is why we chose dreams as a survival mechanism because they can keep the player sane and in this case alive in the game.

Fire

“You have to carry the fire. I don’t know how to. Yes, you do. Is it real? The fire? Yes, it is? where is it? I don't know where is it. Yes, you do. It’s inside you. It was always there.I can see it. Just take me with you. Please. I can’t. Please, papa. I can't. I cant hold my son dead in my arms. I thought I could but I can't.”

Page: 278

cart

“They collected some old boxes and built a fire in the floor and he found some tools and emptied out the cart and sat working on the wheel. He pulled the bolt and bored out the collet with a hand drill and resleeved it with a section of pipe he'd cut to length with a hacksaw. Then he bolted it all back together and stood the cart upright and wheeled it around the floor. It ran fairly true.”

Page:

The gun