YATW: eating disorder #2

Blog #2:

In the first blog i focused more on what happens to the body when a teenager goes through an eating disorder. After doing an interview and new research I inquired a few new things. http://www.something-fishy.org/isf/mentalhealth.php  Some girls that suffer from eating disorders do it because they would rather deal with physical pain or put emotion into something else rather than deal with emotional pain. Its such a common misconception that girls just don't eat to lose weight and they can start eating whenever they want. But that is completely not true, not eating is also very similar to self mutilation its a way to hide behind what is really wrong.  

For my second blog post I had to conduct our own personal research. The options were fieldwork, surveys, or lastly the one that I choose to do an interview. My subject was a PHD student at PECOM. I felt like this would have been the most effective choice for me because she has spoken to many teens with eating disorders; and could really understand the mental state of somebody suffer with the disorder. Since i did an interview i did not really receive any statistical information. While i did inquire a lot of useful information. First I found out a lot about triggers and why it can be more common in a teen than an adult. Being in school surrounded people that are all different body types. Can pose a physical threat which makes a young person question themselves.  Being in a social environment daily can cause pressure to fit in or pressure to be the best at whatever you do; and sometimes that can be out of a students hand. So not eating is a thing that they can control. Something that no nobody can take away from them. To conclude that school itself and everything that comes along with it can be a main trigger.

Finding out this information really helped me with my YATW project, because most parents in particular look at school as a place for children to learn and be with friends. Which for a lot of kids it is, but in some cases it can be a place of fear and sadness in many young teens. Another reason the information as well as the interview process was helpful is because i was really able to get a deeper level of understanding what really effects tennagers with eating dissorders. And i needed to get that perspective so i would be able to help as effectively as possible when i go on and do field work.

As said in the previous paragraph this information really helps me with my issue, because sure a lot of people don’t really realize why. The issue is so much deeper, learing more about what trigger the appetite suppression can really help stop a lot of the problems early on. A person can be doing really well in the recovery process but at any given moment  it can be set off if the patient does not have the proper outlet. I also learned that girls in particular when it comes to triggers can really never let that particular thing but the thing that people need to recognize is that its how we can better understand how to hekp with ways to try and forget what made us unhappy.

After doing additional research I was able to form more of my own opinions about teen eating disorders.  I realize that there really are really not a lot of places or people that really understand the mental hurt in a patient. I feel that there needs to be more attention payed to high school children that maybe are not the happiest. That why these teenagers are able to get so out of control with their disorders because people are just so blind. I always knew that eating disorders were more than just wanting to lose weight but my eyes were opened to so many more reasons behind the disorder.

There are still a lot of things that I would like to learn. For example I would like to talk to a treatment facility center and learn different treatment methods out of the very few that exist. I also want to venture more into how eating disorders can cause other issues like anxiety and depression. And if so how, is it more likely for a teenager to suffer with other issues while going through remission? I am also left wandering in not eating is encouraged by society is i really unavoidable to have these sort of issues?

For blog number three i would like to take the idea of some of the dove commercials but apply it in a school setting. By doing some activities as well as i quick lesson. My goal is to help kids my age understand that we all have worth, as corny as that sounds. I want people to understand that we all struggle with presser being the way we look or even academically. So i will be taking these ideas to my advisory and have us all talk about what we fear and dislike about ourselves as well as others.  And take that a connect it to eating disorders and how they all relate.

To access the interview: Original research

Gabrielle Cromley (Student 2017)
Gabrielle Cromley

Your blog is great because it speaks about a very popular issue among teens and it is easy to relate to. I really like your point about how not eating might be encouraged by society. This may be true because all of the models and celebritare very skinny and have "perfect bodies", so then we think that we have to look like that in order to be beautiful. However, this is not true because everyone of every shape and size is beautiful.

Jun-Jie Zou (Student 2017)
Jun-Jie Zou

HIIII REILY!! I really like the fact that you chose this topic to research on. I respect the fact that some people don't eat because they want to lose weight or they think they are really overweight. I know a couple friend who does this. There are some grammar mistakes, but overall I really enjoy reading your blog.

Mark Gucciardi-Kriegh (Student 2017)
Mark Gucciardi-Kriegh

I liked your topic and feel you should just fix a typo here and there. I would also like to mention that your interview cannot be seen, please change the sharing settings so anyone with a link can view. The line "as corny as it sounds," makes you seem like not everyone has worth. You should think about changing it to be about "as corny as it is it is true."

Jamilah Woodards (Student 2017)
Jamilah Woodards

I really enjoyed reading your blog. I did not read your first blog, but after reading this one I plan to do so. I really like the chart that you used. It fit your topic perfectly and gave an abundant amount of information.

Kiamesso Dasilva (Student 2017)
Kiamesso Dasilva

Hey Riley! I think your blog topic is amazing, and really relevant to issues in every school across the country. You might want to go back and edit for a couple of grammar mistakes, but other than that great job! I'm excited for your agent of change.