Vegetarian Lima Bean Soup !
· 2 One pound bags of large dried lima beans
· 1 very larger or 2 medium Vidalia Onions
· 1 large green pepper
· 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
· 2 heaping tablespoons minced garlic
· ½ pot water
· Onion Powder
· Ground Black Pepper
· Mrs. Dash (Onion & herb)
· Essence of Emeril Seasoning
· Crushed red pepper flakes
· 1 tablespoon Agave Nectar
1. Soak 2 bags of Lima Beans in a full pot of cold water
2. Sit aside for 8-16 hours
3. Once soaking is complete Rinse lima beans in cool water in a large colander or strainer ( remove any discolored beans or empty shells)
4. Chop onion and green pepper in small cubes (diced about ¼” )
5. Heat large vegetable stock pot over med/high heat
6. Add ½ cup of olive oil when pan is hot (heat until olive oil is hot )
7. Add diced onion and green pepper
8. Add seasonings and minced garlic
9. Sauté onion, green pepper , garlic , and seasonings until vegetables glisten and start to become translucent
10. Turn heat up to high
11. Add very hot water until pot is half full
12. Cover w/ lid and bring stock to a boil
13. When liquid / vegetable mixture begins to boil Add 2 lbs of lima beans
14. Allow to come to a second boil
15. Reduce heat to low or simmer. Add agave nectar
16. Simmer beans for 2 hours or until tender and liquid starts to thicken.
17. Stir every 15-30 minutes with wooden spoon. If beans start to stick add water and reduce heat.
18. Taste beans in last ½ hour of cooking Add seasonings or Agave Nectar to taste
When thinking of a “healthy meal” to share with the class I thought Lima Bean Soup was the perfect dish simply because it is a meat less, non-processed meal. Everything from the beans to the seasonings and vegetables to make the meal is whole and tasty! The lima beans used to make this meal were very cost effective and for families on a budget the brand of beans can be purchased with WIC and food stamps. This reminded me of a discussion we had in class when the issue of healthy food being too expensive came up and how it affects families’ decisions w/ purchasing food and cooking meals. Well there is no excuse for this healthy meal, if you can but things like pop tarts, different meats, and chips, you can without a doubt pick up a bag of beans and some peppers! Although this meal is time consuming, the way it is prepared allows time to get homework, housework, and daily tasks done while waiting. When meal is complete Lima bean soup becomes a quick throw and go meal. Great for packing a lunch or a quick dinner heat up ! Also, the packaging and preparation of the meal does not involve a lot of material. The material they do involve can be recycled. With all of this being said this delicious meal is great for a meal to last a few days and feed the whole house! You can put your own spin on it by adding hot sauce, throwing it on rice, and even vegetables. No matter how you like it, if you love beans it is a great healthy choice your body will be happy with!
This section has opened my eyes too so many different aspects of my health and also the health of my family members. It was definitely disturbing to see the truth behind different meat companies and how they deal with the animals. It made me feel somewhat helpless as a person who is not a vegetarian. To keep a steady diet it seems impossible to make the best choice in meets to create a balanced meal. Though I don’t see myself or my family members becoming vegetarian any time soon, we have taken extra steps to pay attention to where we buy our meat and checking the different labels so we can get the best meat possible. The other sections of the unit like Fracking for instance allowed me to educate my friends and family on what exactly it was. I have shared this information with my family to the point where it became annoying. After a while lunch and dinner time became very uncomfortable and I was just a nag when it came to shopping trips according to my family . I do not regret it because after all of the nagging something stuck with each one of them!
Artist Statement :
Link to my Prezi presentation for my Q4 benchmark discussing brown vs. Board of education and the effects of the point of Divergance