Can You Guys Hear Me?

(Phone Rings, picks up the phone) Hey, Ashley! Yeah I know (pause) did you see her trying to sit at our table like she was one of us?! (pause) Right, like that is sooo unacceptable. (pause) She was what! She is not taking Jaden to prom, he's my ex and he still likes me so he´s obviously gonna ask me. (pause) What kind of girl asks a boy to prom anyway! (pause) Right! She's such a loser. Anyways I was hoping Jaden would have a grey suit because I just got this pink dress and it has hints of grey in it and it would be soo cute with a grey suit. No, Ashley, he def is going to ask me, just like how Jake´s gonna ask you. Don't be scared, it's going to happen, who else does he have? (pause) Exactly… Yeah so… (gets cut off) Oh okay, yeah imma show my mom my dress too, see if she likes it.

(Looks out bedroom door and screams) Mom! Dad! Ha, like they would answer. (Mocks mother) Yes, Amber that dress is so pretty. (Acts like father) Oh no that dress is too short for you to be wearing. (Turns back into herself) I don't know what I was thinking. Seventeen years of my life and only talked to my parents for about ten of those. Ha. (Holds dress in front of her as if she was looking at herself in the mirror), Hey, mom don't you think this would look cute. (pretends to be mom) Yes darling, you are gorgeous. (back to herself) Hey dad, you know Jaden´s gonna take me out to prom. (mocks dad) He better get you home by twelve. (disappointed look, stomps hard like tired) Maybe i'm just hoping one day they’ll finally answer back. Sike… (small giggle) Maybe I just keep forgetting my irrelevance to existence. (sarcastic voice) For some reason I keep thinking i'm somebody special. But it’s so crazy; in school, EVERYBODY knows my name. Most popular in my whole school. (does a little snobby pose of herself in the mirror) but when I get home it’s like I’m completely invisible. (looks sad and goes to sit down on her bed)

Fourth grade,(pause) mom I got an A on my science test! (biggest smile slowly fades from her face) Oh, after you finish your phonecall? Okay... Fifth Grade,(pause) Dad this dumb teacher.. (cuts herself off and pretends to be her father type on the laptop) NOT NOW AMBER! (goes back to herself) Oh okay. (plays around with her fingers as she slowly walks back to sit on the bed). (Big sigh as she plumps onto the bed) And lets not forget how you used that same line six grade through the rest of my current life. You know, I get it now. I understand you not wanting a daughter and the pain of having me anyway. I understand I am not what you wanted. One joyful night turned into your biggest mistake. I know.

Everyone at school always says, “Amber has the cool parents” or “ Amber gets whatever she wants from her parents.” But I don’t! I want their attention. I want their acceptance. I want to be that child they don’t regret. I just wanna be something they care about. (starts crying into her hands) (knock knock on the door) (she looks up at the door) Mom?

The End
Better Version

Deja Harrison (Student 2018)
Deja Harrison

I can connect to this character because I feel like it's very relatable. At some point everyone feels a little voiceless and I think you really captured that. A moment I'll remember is when she was telling stories from her past about being ignored. It showed that she had been being ignored for a long time.

Imani Williams (Student 2018)
Imani Williams

I cannot personally connect with your character but I can understand how she feels, and if I was in a situation like that I would feel the same, I can feel like emotion. A moment that will stick out to me is when she says all the students think she has cool parents and she's spoiled but they don't really know what's really going on and how she feels.

Ameer Forte (Student 2016)
Ameer Forte

Hey Tia I really enjoyed listening to this monologue. I think that writing about the communication between a child and parent was an excellent idea and you portrayed a moment in time inside of this girls mind very well. I enjoyed the shift in her mood towards the end it really made me connect with your character because as teenagers it is not uncommon for us to undergo mood swings and changes in our thoughts. Great job! - Ameer

Fatoumata Camara (Student 2018)
Fatoumata Camara

I can connect with your character because in her voice she seem upset and unwanted. A moment that will stick with me is how she said Mom and nobody answer it makes me wanna know more .

Addison Zheng (Student 2018)
Addison Zheng

I can connect to this because I can feel what the character has been going through. A moment that will stick with me is how people thought she had chill and cool parents, but that wasn't right.

Avery Measley (Student 2018)
Avery Measley

This character definitely fits the theme of changing your behavior depending on your environment. She betrays stereotypes of "the popular girl" and this gives us an insight to why she might act that way at school.

Avery Measley (Student 2018)
Avery Measley

Avery Measley (Student 2018)
Avery Measley

Athalia Tan (Student 2018)
Athalia Tan

I connected with this character because sometimes it is hard to get your parent's attention, but at the end they will still be there for you in times of needs. A moment that will stick with me is the part when she looked up and saw her mom.

Sandra Watson (Student 2018)
Sandra Watson

I can connect in some ways with this character and I feel this charter is to so realistic to everyday life. Also i feel as if this character is written amazingly. Its captures the mindset of the person flawlessly with amazing transitions.

Sopheary Sok (Student 2018)
Sopheary Sok

Yes I can connect with some aspects about this character, we all want the things we can't have and take for granted the things we do have. A moment that will stick with me is when her parents didn't listen to her when she had something to say.