1. Marxist lens
2. Old man and the sea
3. “The Politics of Bojack Horseman.” The Political Science Club, 11 Sept. 2017, thepoliticalscienceclub.com/politics-of-bojack-horseman/.
4. The article described how the Netflix series, Bojack Horseman, was able to show how wealthy people can struggle with an existential crisis. Their wealth typically plays apart in Bojack's questioning his existance due to having extreme amounts of material possessions and still feeling worthless. This relates to the marxist lens because that point of view questions whether or not humans are worth what they are able to make materialistically. Bojack Horseman's character illustrates how damaging a luxurious lifestyle can be due to his status giving him acess to afford his drug/alcohol addiction. Santiago and the old man are a direct contrast to Bojack's characterization which is why I thought it would be important to discuss. While Bojack has the ability to anything he wants he never feels fully fufilled, which leads to his depression. On the other hand Santiago and the old man are lower class, but more mentally stable due to their shared interest of fishing.
1. Your lens for Podcast #2: Marxist Lens
2. Your Novel: The Old Man and the Sea
3. Your selected companion article, in MLA format: Hurst, Alexander. “The Ugly, Illiberal, Anti-Semitic Heart of the Yellow Vest Movement.” The New Republic, 7 Jan. 2019, newrepublic.com/article/
4. This article was about the yellow vest movement. It started off by talking about how a comedian named Dieudonné, sold the yellow vest on his website and they had “Chant des Partisans,” on them. Then people then formed groups and they all had the yellow vest,
1. Your lens for Podcast #2:
2. Your Novel:
The Old Man and the Sea
3. Your selected companion article, in MLA format:
“Sweden Has a 70% Tax Rate and It's Just Fine.” Jacobin, jacobinmag.com/2019/01/ocasio-
4. 100 words explaining what this article was about, and why it provides additional insight into both your novel and the selected literary lens. (Your write-up can include one direct quote from the article.)
This report is just a general idea of what marxism is and how it affects people as well as how they react to this. In this situation the U.S. is attempting to enact a 70% tax for the rich, people with much wealth are reported to be " freaking out". This shows their attachment to their money, though there is evidence in places like Sweden that these taxes are highly beneficial and are not as bad as they may have seemed.
- The Old man and the Sea
- “I Will Always Stand up Against Injustice”
- This article is basically a summary of an interview that a reporter named Franziska Tschinderle and they were interviewing a guy named Max Zirngast who spend 3 months in a turkish prison. He then talks about his experience in prison. He talked about how he was Isolated from the other prisoners and he said when he gets out, he wants to get his life back together. This relates to "The old man and the sea because Santiago once was considered the best fisherman in town until he went 84 days without catching a fish. He wants to get his life back together by catching the biggest fish of them all.