Trayvon Martin Case

My “Me and the world project” is based on the Trayvon Martin Case. My major issue with this case is the racism involved in it. I am interested in this case because I like to get to the bottom of this case and if it actually involved racism and if it would’ve gone this way if it were someone of a different race.

Trayvon Martin was a 17-year-old boy walking back from the store with a hoddie over his head with a Arizona and a bag of skittles in hand. According to the Los Angeles Times, the watchman of their gated community (George Zimmerman) had saw Trayvon looking suspicious. He then approached in the 17-year-old in his vehicle with bad intentions. Zimmerman was also on the phone with 911 at the time and reported that Trayvon looked to be a “real suspicious guy” a “black male” walking around. The police told Zimmerman to back off, but he then took it into his own hands. He approached Trayvon Martin armed, and from there on, they got into a fight. In the end, Trayvon Martin ended up dead, while George Zimmerman had a few cuts and bleed from the back of his head. Zimmerman was charged with 2nd degree murder after several months of investigating. 

My personal opinion on this case is that it was a racist act of violence. Nowadays, it’s all about the survival of blacks. I agree with the quote Trayvon Martin was killed by a stereotype. George Zimmerman is just the guy who fired the gun. - Leonard Pitts

Trayvon was un-armed; there was no reason for Zimmerman to shoot. If they got in a physical confirmation that all it should’ve been. If Trayvon was a different skin color, I think the situation would have been different. I feel as though Zimmerman felt over powered and couldn’t beat Trayvon cause he was so much bigger than him that he had to use a weapon. I also think that people shouldn’t be targeted because of their race, but that’s apart of racism. There’s nothing we can do about it. People are going to be racist if they choose to. Trayvon Martin was killed by a stereotype. George Zimmerman is just the guy who fired the gun. - Leonard Pitts

imgres-4   
The Scene where Trayvon Martin was shot.                                   

la-na-nn-teen-shot-20120330-002    
Trayvon Martin's body being carried to the 
                Funeral home

imgres-2
 Million Hoodie March for Trayvon Martin.

imgres-5
                    Trayvon Martin

imgres-6
              George Zimmerman                  

Zoe Siswick (Administrator)
Zoe Siswick

I think you did a nice job of sharing your personal opinion—you are obviously quite passionate about this issue. I would like to see some more research, perhaps about the impact of crime against African Americans. I know there is a lot of information out there and you have just reached the tip of the iceberg. Great job, Teeyah!

Chaveliz Nieves (Student 2015)
Chaveliz Nieves

I noticed that your very interested in this case and you want his topic to be known by a broader audience. I wonder if you can give more details about Trayvon's life. What if you can talk more about the racism in this case. It will be helpful because not only will it explain more but it will help people realize that racism still exists and theirs always going to be people with bad intentions.