Doing this assignment completely changed my mindset about things. I started to see the importance in this more so. I always thought that the U.S and China were the only two advanced countries. I didn't expect to see that majority of the world would be advancing being as though a lot of other seek or seem to need help from other countries.
- Why did you choose this topic? We choose this topic because we felt as though many students in school don't feel as though their freedom of speech is granted to them.
- What did you like about this project? What was most challenging? I like the most about this project was recording people and asking them how do they feel about freedom of speech in general. I like this part the most because you got to hear things from different perspectives and got to see how people can voice how their freedom is given to them. The most challenging part was getting the cspan video that was related to our project. This was hard because we had to make sure we could tie it back to our main point.
- Describe the most interesting fact or event that you investigated. I think the most interesting event was when it came to interviewing Ms. Hull about freedom of speech. This was interesting because she took it over the top and opened up more doors for our topic and have us look at things a little differently.
- How could this project be improved? I think the only thing that we could improve is the number of people we interview about freedom of speech. I think if we had more people it would've been better. So all and all I think we would have to improve on our timing.
- Where did you run into trouble with the project? The only trouble we had was really converting the video we made to come up correctly of slate. Other than this we really didn't face any problems.
- What went well with this project? I think the project went well over all because my partner and I work well together. We both put forth the effort in to the project.
- If you had it to do over, what would you change about your decisions or your process?I think the timing process would be changed. If we timed it better we probably could've had more people lined up to be interviewed and it would've made it better.
- What did you learn? I think that freedom of speech is important to teachers in school just as well as it is important to the students. If they don't voice their opinion then they can't be heard.
Dear To Whom Ever it may Concern,
Hello, my name is Jasmine Gladden and I attend Science Leadership Academy. I am writing this letter as a civilize student and young adult to inform you that I don’t believe that the curfew law is reasonable or fair. I understand where you’re coming from with your reasoning but I don’t think your looking at things from all perspectives. I believe if you would’ve look at things from the parents perspective and other young adult who not into flash mobs perspective then you wouldn’t have came to the conclusion with the curfew law that has been presented to us. I believe it’s not fair to the parents because some parents for one don’t have much control over there children to have their kids listen to them and be in the house at a certain time. Another reason I believe it’s not fair that a parent has to pay if their child gets caught; they have pay with their hard working money for the nonsense.
However, I am 18, so the curfew doesn’t really bother me, but I when I was 17 and younger I was never the type to vandalize and do bad things to mess up or harm anyone. I was reading this article that was about Mayor Nutter speech and I didn’t really agree with what he was saying. I don’t believe that every child is bad and can’t control themselves in a crowd. I don’t think it’s okay to categorize everyone into one category and it’s not everyone.
All I’m asking is for you to look into consideration of what I am presenting to you. I think this could work if you only include or show that you took in consideration everyone’s perspective. I think once you look at things fully and attempt to understand whom others are coming from, things may rule in a positive favor. Thank you for your time! Please if you find more time, can you reply with your thoughts base on what you think about my ideas.
From looking at my previous blog posts, I feel like a letter is best because I could compile everything I need to say in one document to get my point across. I can then be able to point out the certain aspects of each blog post I thought was important in each. I think the blog post that influence me the most was the 3rd blog post because this had points from actual people feeling towards the who situation.
The task that me and my partner decided to do was obtaining a business license. You need a paper that states that it is legal to have a building that you a business out of. If you don’t own these papers then it will be impossible or illegal to make a profit out of a building.To get this license you need to file for a number of different things. But to be short and to the point you need to apply for all of the L & I approvals, these are the things you need in order to ensure that the building will be properly ran. Then you apply for a tax account number, pay the fee that you will need, and send everything in. L & L Approvals will take you through every procedures that you need to make sure you get your license to own your own business.
Doing project was a great experience and it wasn’t hard. At times it was very tedious and the hard part was consuming our time. However, the hardest pat for us was finding the actual paper work. The work was very straightforward but because we needed to make the information up it made it more difficult because we didn't know what everything was. I like how they stated if it was denied what you can do. So having every little detail really helps.
I think doing this for our project was the hardest choice because they don’t just want anyone owning a business. You need to know exactly what and where everything will be, there is no time for mistakes or "going with the flow" after you get the business. It will be time for getting the money and being successful, which I agree with I just wish everything was easier to find. All and all, this was good to learn and something new!
Monroe Setser was arrested in Lubbock Texas for drug and firearms related crimes. Both of these crimes in which fall in with Federal and State chargers.
The questions that were stated were:
1. "Does a district court have authority to order a federal sentence to run consecutively to an anticipated, but not yet imposed, state sentence?”
2. “s it reasonable for a district court to provide inconsistent instructions about how a federal sentence should interact with state sentences?”
There were two issues with this case though. They were:
1. Whether a district court can impose a federal sentence that runs consecutively to a state sentence even before that sentence is imposed.
2. Whether it is reasonable for a federal sentence to run consecutively to one state sentence but concurrently to another when those two state sentences run concurrently to each other.
Setser had pleaded guilty in the Unites States District Court for the Northern District of Texas. The Court’s decision in this case will clarify whether district courts may order a federal sentence to run consecutively to a state sentence until and unless the state sentence has been imposed.
We all need to find people with higher power and authority other than our mayor and governor who is agreeing with the curfew. Finding these people can help us fight for the curfew law to be a bit more reasonable. If not I have no choice but to find people who feel the same way and I do and try to persuade them to see things from our perspective. I honestly think that this is a not only a fight for our youth but for the parents as well. I think the parent’s perspective will be as more powerful than anybody else. Majority people who voted for this bill or more so on the pros side other then the cons. And the people with the power (mayor and governor) are all for it.
There are a lot f concerns and questions about this bill, but we are not sure who are actually working on getting these questions and concerns out. People in my class that are doing this topic as well are also not sure about who is working on it. There are really no more up to date meeting and anything about the curfew right now either. In my opinion it seems as though this is just up in the air and the people with the actual power doesn’t really care.Here is a video from youtube talking about curfew in Philadelphia: Video
I did my benchmark on the No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB). To me this was interesting because it was a bill that actually became a law and it had it affects on our society. I think this was also interesting because it went from being a bill to a law in a short period of time. My difficulties with this project was trying to get my point across in more simple words to where others could follow along. My reasoning for having the three videos because I wanted to show the pros and cons of the bill. Then I have the storyboard to visually show how the bill became a bill in a very short period of time. This project help me think outside the box and use my creative mind in a way and I'm glad I did this project.
My official that I found who supports my lobbying topic is Mayor Nutter. He had made a speech about what he thinks about children being out after the curfew that he feels should be set. click here to read speech. Speech. He made this speech in August. I used him as my official because he is they city mayor and knows about what needs to be done to make nights out safer and more enjoyable. Events can never be done properly because with no set time for children to be in, the events be ruin by flash mobs.
A quote that he says that is strong to me is when he states, ""When we ignore our young people's needs, when we don't offer job opportunities, when we don't invest in their education or in their future, all of us have failed them." I feel like this quote illustrates why young people feel the need to run the streets but their are no opportunity out here for them.
My lobbying topic is based on curfew and the consequences that come along with it if someone doesn’t obey what needs to be done. I want to do this as my lobbying topic because those who believe that curfew doesn’t matter is messing up the fun for those who choose to be out late be can act responsibly. I also don’t believe that is fair that the parents have to pay a fee for the child that is being picked up for curfew. If not fair to those who are actually not flashing mobbing, but just hanging out have a good normal time. Just because every cop or adult wants to believe that every child is not out causing trouble, shouldn’t stop those who have self -control. I know this interest me the most because I’m 18 but all my friends are not, so some of our plans can even be followed through.
The supporters for this lobbying idea I believe should be the positives young adults that simply feel the same way. However they people who would be against this, would be cops and probably other adults who believes that these kids are only out here to start trouble. Then other people that will be against this is the children that are actually apart of the flash mob and feel differently about what should be done. I really believe something should be done because it’s not fair to the children who are being label as someone bad and they are actually being a positive individual.