Asian from America

Standing in the shoes of an Asian American is kind of complex. You chose how much of each culture you would like to include into your life. Just like Trevor, he had a hard time figuring out his identity being a mixed child. He acknowledged both sides but chose to immerse himself into black culture.

In a way, I did the same. I acknowledged my American side but chose to be more immersed into Asian culture. Both me and Trevor face the fact that we are surrounded by both cultures but one more than the other. He chooses to surround himself and talk to black people but for me, I live in America so I tend to embrace my American side more as an instinct. But both of us chose what side we prefer to surround us and it helps build our character.

I think the most touching quote was on page 46 when he said “… but I didn’t belong with the white kids. I wasn’t a part of their tribe. But the black kids embraced me.” His situation was definitely the opposite of mine. Instead of having a negative view of one culture, I chose to embrace myself in American culture while immersing myself in my Asian culture. I let the American culture surround me while I spent the small details focusing on my Asian ways of living. A fair balance.

Throughout my memoir, my culture does have a huge influence on the way I think and how I interact with people. There are so many differences between the two countries and I often find it hard to balance myself. Knowing how people think and communicate on both sides, I always have a different perspective on everyone’s opinion. It’s the way Americans have their own plates of food while Asians eat with many bowls shared across the table. It’s how many Americans find makeup and hair styling something a girl should learn while Asians teach kids how to sew. It’s the small details in each culture that builds my character and how I like to look at things.

Gina Z. - Vignette Draft

Michelle Ie (Student 2024)
Michelle Ie

Oh wow, I love this memoir! As a fellow Asian-American I can relate so much how my mom wanted me to speak Chinese when I was and later on today in my life to learn Indonesian. My parents also said learning a different language (besides english) "will look good on your resumé and when we go around the world you can speak fluently to them". I know how you felt, overall relatable and learn that other parents do that to their child.

India McLeod (Student 2024)
India McLeod

I really enjoy how you was able to connect to Trevor Noah by commenting on you both being interracial. I think it's cool because I have noticed when people think of being interracial, they think of just being mixed with black and white. Although that is a factor of being interracial, there IS also different types like being Asian-American or Afro-Latino. I don't know if that makes sense, but basically I'm saying I like how you was able to connect that characteristic to Trevor's. Good Job! ~Indi