Promise

Dear person,

I’m sorry for breaking our promise.

“You won’t leave me right?”

“Never. But I know you will, right?”

“No. I don’t think I’d be able to.”

“Pinky promise?”

“Pinky promise.”

At that moment you asked me to stay by your side through anything and everything. I asked for the same back. Our pinkies were out and then in a blink of an eye, they were wrapped around one another.

I thought leaving you was the best decision I have made in a long time. Being by your side for more than three years was probably too much for me. There were times where you made me feel as though I wasn’t good enough for you. I always believed that I had to constantly change myself just to fit your standards. You put me in situations where I always had thoughts of leaving you, but I knew my heart didn’t want that. When we first met, you made me feel special. I was comfortable with you. I shared with you everything about me. I thought that there was nothing that could have gotten in the way. Even though people believed we weren’t going to continue a long friendship and relationship because of our ages, we proved them all wrong, didn’t we?

I remember the first time we met. We were introduced to each other by mutual friends. It’s funny because when I first saw you, never would I had imagined us to be as close as we were. Somehow, we gave each other the nickname, “buddy”. Do you remember when I had field hockey practices during the fall and lacrosse practices during the spring? You always showed up, but I never knew that because you would always climb up your favorite tree in the park. I noticed you from afar when I saw your red and black Nike shoes.

“Wow. I have the same shoes as you. Hey buddy! What are you doing up there?”

“I didn’t want you to see me. It was supposed to be a surprise. Plus, I’m shy.”

“Why are you shy? We’re buddies remember? Now get down from there. Practice is over.”

You walked me home that day and we became closer. Since that day, everything else became clearer and I thought things would get better. However, you lied to me.

Your lies caused us to not talk for a couple months. They were the longest months of my life. We finally started talking again because you texted first.

“Hey buddy. I know it’s wrong of me to text you after lying to you, but I was scared that if you knew the truth, you’d see me differently. I’m so sorry.”

I didn’t exactly know who you were, but I decided to give it a shot of getting to know the real you. I texted back and from that day on we've become inseparable.

Our relationship became more serious further along the way and everything felt magical. Despite the age difference, you seemed to be the one teaching me things I've never seen before. We’ve shared many things with each other. Secrets, laughs, smiles, tears, arguments, we shared basically everything.

After nine months, things changed.

As we sat on my bed, you looked at me right in the eyes and lied. You lied to me again. Then again. I didn't know what to do. Your lies kept feeding off of me so I didn't know who I could trust anymore or what to believe from anyone especially you. At that point, I didn't know who I was anymore either. I was not the girl you used to know. I became more independent, more closed off, quieter. Because of those lies, my trust for you became more vague everyday. But instead of me leaving, I gave you another chance to redeem yourself. They were constantly telling me that you were just a child. I still didn't want to let you go though.

Everyone around us constantly told me that you wouldn’t have been able to handle a relationship because you were younger than I. It’s funny because sometimes I would forget that you were younger. You always acted more mature than I did.

Two years in, we thought things were great. At least I believed that they were. However, July 6th came and I started working. You were working as well. I didn’t expect that this situation would be the reason that we would became more distant. Days went by and there were barely 30 words made to each other each day. It was hard. I tried putting the most effort into this relationship, but there were too many things going on in my life where I didn't realize you were trying just as hard. I never came to you about most of it because we were both always busy. I'm not too sure how or when or why, but I thought the best thing for the both of us was to separate from each other.

I promised you that no matter what, we would continue to try and make things work for the both of us. But instead, I broke that promise. When we separated, I constantly believed that it was all because of me. I was torturing myself constantly. I felt as if you were pushing me away, and I thought you were slowly losing feelings. Instead of trying to help you gain those feelings back, I let them slip completely and tried making things easier by leaving. I wanted to remain as close friends but it was hard for the both of us. Things obviously weren’t the same. A couple days after the separation, we were still talking as close friends when you brought up the promise. That promise that was made two years ago. The same promise that I broke. It hurt me to know that you still remembered it. At that moment I wished that we had never made that promise. However, it was a lesson that needed to be learned.

So, thank you for teaching me that promises are sometimes meant to be broken. I hope one day, you’d understand why I did it. I’m sorry for breaking our promise.

Love,

Your Buddy Eb.

Luke Risher (Student 2017)
Luke Risher

Awwwwwwww

I learned that you play field hockey

I liked the format of it being a letter like the Ta-Nehisi Coates essay

I think the video was amazing! The best I've seen so far. I think it added a lot of emocienal meaning

Brandon Jones (Student 2017)
Brandon Jones

I can clearly see that you put effort in your video. It didn't really feel like a school assignment but more like a passion piece. You made an amazing video and you created it like a digvid project. Instant A

Tianna McNair (Student 2017)
Tianna McNair

I don't know you that well but after reading this I now know that you have a ex boyfriend. I was very cute. I liked the idea of you writing to him as if it were a letter. The video was like a music video it was cute and seemed romantic. I was similar to the Hello video by Adele. This was one of the best videos.

Corinthia Bell (Student 2017)
Corinthia Bell

The something I learned is how regret within yourself has made you think was the cause of separation. The strategy I loved was the balance of your dialogue in the story with the writing of the thoughts you've had in the past. And I felt the video wonderfully added more description unto what was in the essay.

Joaquin Thomas (Student 2017)
Joaquin Thomas

I liked how well you wrote the story of one of your relationships with someone, and you did a really good job conveying your emotions to the audience so they could better grasp what you were going through.

Cacy Thomas (Student 2017)
Cacy Thomas

This is such a good essay and I love your video! I learned a lot about your relationship and how it changed over time, and how you coped with the changes. I really liked how it was a letter to someone instead of a formal essay. This made it more personal and emotionally strong.

Tomas Arango (Student 2017)
Tomas Arango
  1. I learned about a relationship you had and how important it was to you, and how hard it was for you when it came to an end.
  2. I liked how your essay was written in a letter format, as if you were writing to the person. This way of writing really worked for your topic and made it really strong.
  3. The video gave perspective to your essay, it was really really well made.

Good Job!

Tomas Arango (Student 2017)
Tomas Arango

Good Job!

Adam Cavalier (Student 2017)
Adam Cavalier

I learned about ebony's long lasting relationship. I like the quotes that were used in the writing to help explain the story. The video added a major dose of realism which was very helpful.