A History of Fashion by Callie and Isabella

here i a link to our website: http://ahistoryoffashion.weebly.com/

Taahir Henry (Student 2013)
Taahir Henry
  1. Would you say that fashion wouldn't have seen a rise in importance if it weren't for the world wars? why? 2.Would you also say that fashion depends on society, as far whats considered appropriate?
Taahir Henry (Student 2013)
Taahir Henry
Callie Monroe (Student 2013)
Callie Monroe

1) Im not sure what you mean by "it." If you are talking about trends, then there isnt really a specific place that they started from. Each city and country kind of has its own "style" or way of dressing. Travel has allowed this to spread and more recently the internet has allowed trends to spread quickly too. 2) In the begging of the 19th century there wasnt really much fashion advertising. The political climate didnt really allow for fashion advertising and fashion wasnt as huge an industry as it is today. The first and second world wars as well as the great depression made fashion something of function and not of luxury.

Callie Monroe (Student 2013)
Callie Monroe

1) People are easily influenced by the trends on the runway or things that they read about in magazines . Im not sure there is one specific reason that people find trends appealing, but I would say that designers set the tone of what is socially acceptable to wear and the average day person takes that and makes it a part of their life. 2) Similar to why artists sample other artists, designers sample other designers and other decades. They are able to take something from the past and re create it in a cool and new different way.

Callie Monroe (Student 2013)
Callie Monroe

1) There are street style blogs from all around the world (Stockholm, Barcelona, Lisbon etc) and there are definitely similarities between what people wear in one city, but there is no specific city of origin. That is really the coolest part is that people from different cities can be inspired by people from other cities because of these blogs. 2) I think that there is definitely a cult following for blogs, not so much in America but in Europe. At the same time what people are wearing in the streets is more in your face and more part of your everyday life so people are probably more influenced by that.

Callie Monroe (Student 2013)
Callie Monroe

1) Yes runway trends are the main source of inspiration for streetstyle. The cool thing about street style and fashion blogs is that they are able to take what they see on the runways and translate them into concepts that everyday people can understand. 2) Twice a year there are fashion shows in all of the major fashion capitals of the world. The big ones are in New York, London, Paris, and Milan, but there are also ones in other cities throughout the world like Melbourne, Sao Paulo, and LA. These fashion shows really set the tone of what will be in style for the next season as well as influence mass market and fast fashion stores like HM.

Callie Monroe (Student 2013)
Callie Monroe

1) If you go look at our website we have a timeline with trends from each decade throughout the 20th century! 2) One interesting thing that we read was that new trends only become new trends because people get bored of old trends. It also has to do with consumerism and pressure that is put on people to look up to date by society.

Callie Monroe (Student 2013)
Callie Monroe

1) I would say that fashion trends can be both. We touched on this a bit in the website, but lots of people claim to not have any interest in fashion, but really can not make this claim. What you wear really portrays how you want the world to see you or how you are feeling on a specific day. In this sense it is a way of life. 2) It is very hard to get a job in the fashion industry, specifically because entry jobs pay very little and fashion centers are usually major cities with high costs of living. Because of his not many can sustain a "fashion" lifestyle.

Callie Monroe (Student 2013)
Callie Monroe

1) fashion blogs have become hugely popular within the last 3-5 years because more people are getting acces to the internet and social networking sites. 2) Different trends can help boost the economy in multiple ways. When something becomes popular and desirable more people are likely to go buy it.

Eryn James (Student 2013)
Eryn James

Does "street style" come from just one certain place then travel from place to place? Do you think more people follow fashion blogs or just what they see in stores and see other people wearing?