The History of Kodak

History of Kodak

Heather Campbell (Student 2013)
Heather Campbell

Kodak was like the Apple or Facebook of photography. They were the big brand, they made all the new innovations, they supplied the film and cameras for people to use. George Eastman had gotten into photography than had an idea to make it better. He had a friend who helped him start up the company. Today, Kodak is does not focus their products on private consumers, so their products are geared more towards the cooperate and commercial market, who are the people who invest in it. I researched the topic because I have a keen interest in photography, and personally prefer film over digital. Slowly film is starting to pop up in different places. However the cost of film is much more expensive than digital, so it is highly unlikely that film will ever make a large comeback.

Anonymous

Why did you decide to research Kodak? How does Kodak applying for Chapter 11 change the camera industry?

P.S. I don't know why it posted 10 times. sorry

Tucker Bartholomew (Student 2013)
Tucker Bartholomew

Because he didn't have any background college education for business? How did Eastman build his company? Do you think that there could be a sudden desire for film again, and Kodak could rise back up?

Aja Wallace (Student 2013)
Aja Wallace

Because you did research on this topic does that make you want to use cameras more often? How long were you interesting in cameras and do you still buy film camera ?

Siani Widman (Student 2013)
Siani Widman

When you mentioned that there was a trend where people said it was a "Kodak moment", wouldn't you say that it was considered to mean that it was a moment worth saving? Picture wise. How is the company doing today? Are they still making an impact?

Siani Widman (Student 2013)
Siani Widman

Siani Widman (Student 2013)
Siani Widman

Heather Campbell (Student 2013)
Heather Campbell

TRI-X film was another type of film that had a different developing process. It is still used today. That is the kind of film I use. Kodak has shifted its focus onto large corporate industries. It still produces film for cameras but it is not its main marketing scheme. Their main competitor was FujiFilm, but since Kodak was an American company it had a larger presence in the States. It's main focus was making photography more affordable and accessible for families and average consumers. After the digital camera was invented and marketed out to the public, more people started to drift towards digital instead of film. The demand for film and film cameras decreased, so they found it more costly to keep producing film cameras when it was digital that was in demand. Fujifilm was much quicker to adapt to the shift from film to digital. Somebody else would have invented it, and maybe Kodak would have stayed with film or maybe they would have made the shift quicker.

Taahir Henry (Student 2013)
Taahir Henry

1.How has the invention of digital picture taking affected the sales of kodak products 2. Why did they end the sales of film cameras if it was still successful in the end?

Heather Campbell (Student 2013)
Heather Campbell

Kodak did produce film stocks used by the film industry. Their first digital camera were taken off the market because they believed it would be a threat to their film business. Later they begun to shift their focus towards printers and digital imaging. Their newer digital cameras were overshadowed by brands like Nikon and Cannon, which were just the public preference.

Andora Myftaraj (Student 2013)
Andora Myftaraj

I wanted to know did they ever try to expand the company in a way that only focused on what consumers wanted? Do you think that they did a bad thing by taking the digital stuff off the market?