Definitions of War - Water

One person from the group post the following information as a comment:
  1. List group Names and Number
  2. Definition of War
  3. Percentage of years at war
  4. Link to your PUBLISHED and PUBLIC google spreadsheet with your data

Sam Lovett-Perkins (Student 2013)
Sam Lovett-Perkins

1- Similarity: That it is something physics and an expression of anger or aggression. 2- Differences: They say that it is a human instinct to interact in war and only one part can benefit. 3-Doc: Similarities We both have the Iraq war 4-Disagreement: Included inside American struggles (ex.Chinese exclusion Act, Harlem Rena.)

Morgan Marant (Student 2013)
Morgan Marant

Similarities: We both have very broad war definitions. Both imply that there was a conflict.

Differences: There are a few years that we feel are missing. We feel that maybe your definition covers more ground than you thought.

William Johnson (Student 2013)
William Johnson

@ssapp

Similarities: ⁃ Both definitions included that they were conflicts between two groups

Differences: ⁃ They explained the causes of war and liberation etc ⁃ Some wars that we did not have, they had and vice versa ⁃ They defined war as brutal

Sierra Dinvil (Student 2013)
Sierra Dinvil

Similarities (definition) - We have no similarities

Differences (definition) - They consider war to lead to peace, our definition does not include that.

Similarities (war) - We have a few wars that are similar (ex. Chinese Civil War, Iraq War, etc.)

Differences (war) - They don't include some of the more common wars such as WW2

Jennifer Wright (Student 2013)
Jennifer Wright

Both definitions include violence and we both say two sides. They are dissimilar because we focused almost solely on the casualties but they chose to include disagreements that fit their definition more accurately. We both included the Quasi-War but they interestingly put a court case for one of their years which we did not.

Sasha Sapp (Student 2013)
Sasha Sapp
  1. We both included themes of violence (meaning that it could be lead to violence) and an "internal fight".

2. Their definition is bit broader yet more specific than ours; They state things like "mental", "spiritual" directly, but we kind of touch on that when we used the words "liberation".

Differences- - They include the war on, crack, drugs, gang wars, (1960's-2000's). But this is similar to our definition which also highlights "internal war" or "war against ourselves". -One era that we agreed on: WWI and WWII times.

1. Both of our definitions war include the idea of conflict between group and their ideas.
  2. The differences between ours and theirs is that their definition includes "bringing peace from an out of control situation" and ours focuses on the act of the conflict itself.

3. Era we disagree on- 1929, ST. Valentine's Day Massacre, we have nothing for that date. Era we disagree on- Vietnam War

Brianna Perrin (Student 2013)
Brianna Perrin

@William Johnson Similar definitions when talking about war. The difference is that we didn't say violence, we just said an act of something. We have similar wars but more of our wars are out of America.

Breeanna Noi (Student 2013)
Breeanna Noi
  1. Settling a dispute.
  2. Group 4 said "It has to be physical between two or more people" but we said it can or can not be physical and it's between two groups.

Agreement: Both have WWII

Disagreement: 1789 -1795: They = nada; Us = Northwest Indian War 1913 - 1933: They = Banana War; Us = Harlem Renaissance and Chinese Exclusion Act They don't have the first 2 years of WWII

Amanda Millatt (Student 2013)
Amanda Millatt

Comparison of definition: Similarities - Both of our definition mention that their has to be opposing sides. Differences- Their definition is that when people die , that makes it a war. Our definitions more like conflict makes it a war, that was more broad than theirs. We discuss peace in our definition and their definition does not . Comparison to the Wars- Similar Wars: War War 2, World War 1 and Quasi Different Wars: North West Indin War.

Sierra Dinvil (Student 2013)
Sierra Dinvil

Similarities (definition) -We both agree that war is a physical dispute.

Differences (definition) - Sometimes war can be non-physical - Their definition was more in depth opposed to ours which was more broad

Similarities between wars (wars) - We both have some of the most commonly know wars (War of 1812, WW1, WW2, etc. - They have wars that involved the United State

Differences (wars) - The have Acts such as the Chinese Inclusion Act to be considered a war. - They considered things such as "drug wars"

Morgan Marant (Student 2013)
Morgan Marant

Violence vs. extreme violence How many people are needed in a war to be considered extreme violence? 1800's Technically would count according to their definition. Discussing liberation… War in Afghanistan has to due with oil not liberation. We need a definition of extreme? We noticed that defending power may also apply to other situations in the U.S. This definition is very strict while our definition is broad.

Breeanna Noi (Student 2013)
Breeanna Noi
  1. War is a conflict.
  2. Group 8 said "It has to be physical" but we said it can or can not be.

Agreement: Iraq war

Disagreement: 1789 -1795: They = nada; Us = Northwest Indian War They = Missing 20 years of Vietnam War; Us = Have all years.

Sasha Sapp (Student 2013)
Sasha Sapp

Sabrina Stewart-McDonald (Student 2013)
Sabrina Stewart-McDonald

Group 4, compared with Group 7: 1. Similarities: We both mention some form of disagreement. 2. Differences: They include peace, while we did not. 3. Era of Agreement: Quasi War 4. Era of Disagreement: Korean War

Jennifer Wright (Student 2013)
Jennifer Wright

Similar because our definitions mention "opposing sides" Different because the detail about each piece is more specific than ours whereas we focused a lot on the finding the number of casualties. That is how our definition is dissimilar because a main aspect of ours is casualties themselves. Also, for some years we just simply have different events. We both include the Spanish-American war for 1989 We have different years for the Vietnam War.

Tenzin Ngawang (Student 2013)
Tenzin Ngawang

Group #6 Sasha Sapp, Natalee Shiavoni, Michelle Torelli & Tenzin Ngawang Definition of War: An extreme conflict between groups of people that is a way of having/defending power or liberation, and can sometimes be brutal or long lasting. Percentage of years at war: 33% 74/222 Google Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnR8VMwoXSQodDR6YlJ6LTJZSkJiVjJ5VXZieHJublE

Michael Sanders (Student 2013)
Michael Sanders
  1. Group #8 - Mike, Mohammad, Sierra, Prisilla
  2. A conflict resolved by physical dispute.
  3. 70% 4.https://docs.google.com/a/scienceleadership.org/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Anp8Gsu61vh9dGdHNVZVOGdRVE9RcVl1Y3QycHdPVVE&hl=en_US#gid=0
Maximilien Marton (Student 2013)
Maximilien Marton

Group #3

1) Maximilien Marton, Breeanna Noi, Daniel Wirt, Ruben Burenstein 2) War is the collective physical (or non physical) expression of confusion/anger/retaliation of one group of people towards another. War is the fulfillment of a basic human (animal, actually) characteristic, which is to attack (conquer) and to defend. War can be started for any reason, but the majority of wars are based on religion, ownership of land, and the attempt to gain power. In war, there will always be a party that benefits, and a party that doesn't benefit. However, the party that does benefit also does not benefit, because the unnatural loss of life is never beneficial. 3) 80% 4) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag9H5JtD2iIYdGdpV2s1UTlkOGFrNGZ6Y2ZoaGhXb2c

Jennifer Wright (Student 2013)
Jennifer Wright

Group #2 - Jenn, Gabe, Kim and Will: 2nd group War- a show of aggression. People die. It is between opposing sides 34% https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlxgmZ60KaWedFRXMkhCX2EzdmlNM3ZJbDFFSDhyMkE

Jessica Hinton (Student 2013)
Jessica Hinton

Group 4: Jessica, Sabrina, Sam, Winston When two or more people are physically agressive to each other to settle a dispute. 60 % https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjAdOYGi37yPdEt3WkowVnh6NGtwYlhpLTFaUmVJU1E

Brianna Perrin (Student 2013)
Brianna Perrin

Group #7

1. Brianna Perrin, Candace Blocker, Jakobi Martin-Howard, Qaswa Malik
  2. Some thing that brings peace and evil between different people with different perspectives/opinions and lasts for a vast amount of time
  3. 33%
  4. https://docs.google.com/a/scienceleadership.org/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ai5mR6y1Ky1YdEpvMnl6X3BOVjRteVQxS29EdngyeGc&hl=en_US#gid=0
Ryan Harris (Student 2013)
Ryan Harris

Group #1

Mecca, Morgan, Stephen, Ryan War is an activity that takes place when two nouns interact in a physical, spiritual, mental or emotional conflict, resulting in an irrational manner and often times ensues in violence.

89%

https://docs.google.com/a/scienceleadership.org/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aki1VorWcMuhdHQ4MF9QOWRJOElnVkZaek9SdUwtUkE&hl=en_US

William Johnson (Student 2013)
William Johnson

Group #5

Alex, Amanda, Kamilah, Paige War is a conflict between two different groups or beliefs. Although it comes in many forms, it always has the same basis. War's original design is to bring peace to an out of control situation.

85%

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmnFzknMOdNZdHpuSm5naVVLZnVSQ21IY3Y4V2ZsUVE