How has the stereotypical role of a women developed an evolutionary basis?

Since the beginning of time, women and men were on two different scales. Women are usually the housekeepers and did not have much say in society. Because they are the housekeepers and produce milk for their young this is an evolutionary basis.

For some animals there are males that produce milk or lactate, just as a woman does. I would consider this an evolutionary basis as well because this is usually something that happens in women. Or what should only happen in women.

Just as human women produce, there are other animals species who are able to produce as well. Although this is true, the reproductive system is different for all. Animals can reproduce more than one child at a time. For example a fish can have multiple babies at one time, but human women can only have one baby at a time or if they or their partner carry the gene, can have twins which isn’t as common in the human population. It’s also different with breastfeeding. There are some male animals who lactate and human men are able to lactate as well.

One of those animals is The Dayak fruit bat is a bat that produces milk, but this is a normal function of the bat. Also there is a male goat that produces milk on occasion. According to an article called Male Lacation by Professor Patty Stuart Macadam. Human men are able to lacate after having a baby suck on the nipple after several weeks. This shows the evolution of the human women role to it being passed on to men.

There are also other male mammals that do not lactate but have the role of the “stay at home,” the Deer Mice is one of these. According to NOVA Online, the Deer Mice guard the young while the other goes out to eat This shows how the roles of the partners can be switched up, for different reasons.

In human society, this is not the case with men. Men cannot reproduce but they are the reasons on why reproduction is possible. It shows how closely related we are with animals but how we are also different.

Further questions:

Why are there mammals that take on the role of the “stay at home” but are not able to lactate?

Why can the Dayak fruit bat lactate but not breast-feed? What is the propose?

Citations:

Comparison, By. "Statistics Bureau." Web. 02 Nov. 2010. <http://www.stat.go.jp/english/data/handbook/c02cont.htm>.

Shanley, Laura. "Milkmen: Fathers Who Breastfeed." Bornfree! Laura Shanley's Unassisted Childbirth Page. 27 Sept. 2007. Web. 08 Nov. 2010. <http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/miscarticles/milkmen.html>.

De'Lesha's Art.

Why don’t we recycle? There are many answers to this question but yet it is still a question we have. Recycling is something we should to make sure our environment is in good condition for everything that needs to be done. In art class we needed to create something that dealt with recycling for us and that meant something to us. Well for this project I decided to use shoeboxes and the tissue paper that comes in the boxes.  I made a question mark out of the tissue paper and put it on the box in a 3d view.

Not many people recycle these things. They want to but they keep their shoeboxes and then when they are tired of them they just throw them away. Sometimes intentional other times just wanting the space and not caring. So I wanted to do something that would mean something to me. I really like sneakers and I didn’t use to recycle them either. But when I realized what effect it was having on the environment I changed that.

The boxes are just something I needed so that it can hold the question mark. I made a question mark because it’s asking the question why. It’s making a silent but very loud statement trying to figure out why people don’t recycle these things. I made the question mark 3d because I wanted it to pop so that people will be able to see it. I wanted people to look at it and get that feeling of  “why?” If people do that then I will have accomplished my message. 

Aimee's Artist Statement

When I was given this project, so many ideas flowed into my head. There was this battle going in my head about what I wanted to do. I had many ideas but I kept knocking them down because I didn’t feel like I had enough time or materials to accomplish what I wanted. The project that Ms. Hull assigned was to turn recyclables or trash into a piece of work. This project sort of piggy backed off of our previous project where we made bottle cap posters.

My thought process was to go through a list of recyclables and see if I could make anything out of them. However, I started wonder, Why recyclables if they can actually be recycled?  I thought my project should be made out of something that is not able to be recycled. It would be a more effective way of helping out with the environment and it would make sense to use something that can’t be recycled because it would be going towards art instead of wasting away.

My original idea was to make a collage out of light bulbs shaped as a human brain. Once I had the collage of light bulbs together I would break some of the lights bulbs in a area on the brain to symbol the damage it could do. Light bulbs because you can’t throw them in the recycling bin and not everyone choose to carefully package them and properly dispose of them. The dangerous toxins that are released mercury that can damage your brain and other parts of your body. I thought that would be cool but 1) I didn’t know where to get all those light bulbs, if I brought them I didn’t think that would help either and 2) I wasn’t sure if it would inspire anyone to do the same thing or ‘recycle their light bulbs properly’. So in the end it might not have been a ‘cool’ idea.

Then I came to thinking about this plastic bag video I saw in my physics class last year. I learned that plastic bags takes about anywhere form 450 to 1,000 years to break down. And between that I can used to hold your lunch, pick up your dog’s poop, fly away until it gets caught on a fence or even the throats of birds, or swimming in waterways and into the throats of fishes.

And then I came across this blog with this idea of taking all the plastics bags in my home and fusing them together to make a bigger and durable bag that I can use everyday and take with me everywhere. I wanted to make something that would be handy and that even I would use. I used scissors, iron, copy paper, thread, sewing machine, and of course plastic bags. I would cut off the handles and the bottom of the bag. If there were ink on the bag (which majority of my bags did) I would open them up and turned it inside out. Then folded them in half a couples of times or you can layer that bag with a couple more bags. Place it on top of the copying paper and then put another page of copying paper on top, sort of sandwich it between the two copying papers. Turn on the iron and swivel the iron on the paper a couples of times, make sure to get the corners because you need to make sure those are melted together pretty good. After that you have your patch! After that, I made a bunch more and sew them together. Here's my process:

2010-11-10 15.39.19
2010-11-10 15.39.19
2010-11-10 15.40.40
2010-11-10 15.40.40
2010-11-10 15.41.24
2010-11-10 15.41.24
2010-11-10 15.41.46
2010-11-10 15.41.46
2010-11-10 15.41.37
2010-11-10 15.41.37
2010-11-10 15.42.12
2010-11-10 15.42.12
2010-11-10 15.44.04_Philadelphia_Pennsylvania_US
​Before and after:
2010-11-10 15.41.24
2010-11-10 15.41.24
Finishing product:
2010-11-05 23.23.05
2010-11-05 23.23.05

How has the shape of the human shoulder propelled us to the top of the animal kingdom?

Throughout history, human ancestors did not always possess the ability to throw, a skill that propelled them to the top of the animal kingdom. This skill is based in the shape of the shoulder joint. In apes, this joint opens upwards, making it ideal for hanging on trees, but incapable of accurate projection. As humanoids turned to walking as their primary means of transportation, the joints and shoulder blades slowly fell. Approximately 500,000 years ago, they arrived in their present horizontal, coat-hanger-like position. 

Ape Shoulder
Ape Shoulder
Human shoulder
Human shoulder
Ape shoulder (top) and human shoulder (bottom)

With a joint that opened horizontally, instead of vertically, early humans were able to rotate their arms in an almost any direction. This semi-boundless motion allowed them to throw with an accuracy much greater than that of their ancestors.  Apes are known to throw rocks, but soon humanoids began to hunt with wooden spears, placing them at a great advantage over any other animal.

The use of projectile weapons was one major difference between Neanderthals and modern humans. In the midst of their relatively rapid evolution, it is possible that Neanderthals' bodies never evolved to allow accurate throwing. It is hypothesized that their shoulders were much more ape-like in shape and position. According to Steven Churchill, an anthropology professor at Duke University, "Perhaps their...short, squat body build with short and massive limbs was not conducive to using throwing-based hunting technology." The ability to hunt from a distance gave humans a distinct advantage over Neanderthals. We could hunt safely, giving us a higher chance of returning home to reproduce. This is a possible reason for the extinction of Neanderthals, modern humans most formidable rivals; we simply outhunted them

The one question that seems to be unanswered is a question of "What if?".  What if our shoulders had never fallen to their present position?  What if we were unable to throw a weapon from a distance and injure or kill our target?  Would we be the most dominant species on the planet? Would we still be living alongside Neanderthals?  Most importantly, would we still exist at all or would we have been replaced by another species better suited for life on Earth?  

Etienne Geoffroy Saint-Hilarie Theory

Q1 Science In Society Benchmark

“Evolution Blog Post”

Question:  How is Etienne Geoffroy Saint-Hilaire theories impact the era at the time and paved the way for future evolutionist?

Etienne Geoffroy Saint-Hilarie once said “Nature ... tends to repeat the same organs in the same number and in the same relations, and varies to infinity only their form. In accordance with this principle I shall have to draw my conclusions, in the determining the bones of the fish's skull, not from a consideration of their form, but from a consideration of their connections.”

Sanit-Hailarie derived this quotes from his theory on animals sharing the same characteristics regardless of an animals origin. He made several comparisons with animal’s connection opposed to their connection to one another.

Etienne Geoffroy Saint-Hilaire a profound French naturalist created the principle unity of composition. In 1772 Etienne came into this world and impacted forevermore the way we look at the modification of animals overtime.  The Herbet Spencer, Darwin, Patrick Mathew and many more wouldn’t have based there theories on the evolution of life if he didn’t pave they way.

Etienne took over the early 1800s with his theory then later Darwin evolved his theory to conclude natural selection many decades later. In giving him full credit is ignoring his early influence Etienne Geoffroy Saint-Haire who was his professor.

The concept of an animal forming the same elements sparked a controversial impact in the 1800s. In actually believing that animals shared the same features baffled the unknowing scientific world. Etienne friend Curve heated over large misconceptions that lead to there ending friendship.

Sources

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Etienne_Geoffroy_Saint-Hilaire

http://www.answers.com/topic/isidore-geoffroy-saint-hilaire

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G2-2830905695.html

Screen shot 2010-11-11 at 2.47.06 PM
Screen shot 2010-11-11 at 2.47.06 PM
pentadactyl
pentadactyl

Im just a Bill. 1st Quarter Benchmark FDA Amendment Acts of 2007

​This iMovie is composed of the FDA Amendment Acts of 2007. I thought it was be very creative to make a slideshow with pictures and imperative information related t my law. Within this presentation you will see pictures and hear me talking about this law and all of the essential questions required to be answered for this presentation. 

Kammii Hudson Marking Period One

So at the beginning of this quarter I was assigned basically to design something to represent recycling or the environment or something along that line. And that was it. That was the only direction that I was really given for this project. This meant that I had a large span of freedom to work with on this project. I wasn’t sure how to handle that first because of how many ideas that I had rushing through my eyes.

The first idea that I actual liked was to build a city out of bottles and cans. I would make it look like some kind of futurist thing because of how the inside of a can and bottles can be shiny if light hits them right.

It seemed like a good idea, but when I started to try to work it out, I couldn’t figure out how I wanted to make it work I didn’t know how to organize the different bottles and in the end it just didn’t work out the way I wanted it to.

The next big Idea I got was in the middle of class. There was a bunch of foam and then looking at it made me want to make a table from it. Maybe paint a cool design on it to represent recycling. So I started on that. Then I saw my friend who had extra pieces from what she was working on. As I was looking at them I started thinking about how most big things in America have some kind of mascot. Wendy’s has the Ginger Girl, McDonalds has the clown, Kmart has the light bulb guy. But why doesn’t recycling have an official mascot to stand for it. I mean, there’s just that little symbol thing. “I should make one.” I thought to myself. And so that’s what I’ve been working with so far. I went with the feel of the material I was using and in a way, let the art create itself. I cut out a head and the used my friends extra piece and ended up with a horse bird thing that had headphones.

Right now I’m in the process of painting it, but I think I want to build a setting around it. The reason it’s not done is because I feel as though I need to do a little more with it. There’s something missing from it that I have to have for it to be complete. Also, I ran out of paint in the middle of painting so I need to go buy some more. 

Photo on 2010-10-21 at 08.29
Photo on 2010-10-21 at 08.29

Spanish 2 Benchmark

My group was asked to make a video for Noah on how to conjugate verbs into the Preterite forms. We each took a job and broke it down easily enough for him to understand how to change each verb into the past tense. Soon after we told Noah about our summers and conjugated the verbs as well to make sure he understood what it meant to talk in the past tense. With that my group and I wish you the best of luck in trying to communicate in Spanish

Health Care Reform

-       http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/83057-290-bills

-       http://www.votesmart.org/resource_govt101_02.php

-       http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-3590

-       http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h3590/show

cyoung_history_benchamrk

Letter from Ted

Dear Citizens of America,

On April 30th of 2004 I proposed to Congress the idea of raising the minimum wage rate because of the effect it has on our country. Citizens of America fail to see that our countries economy isn’t flourishing as well as it could be, considering the amount of poverty we have in this country. According to the US Census Bureau, 35.9 million people live below the poverty line, that including 12.9 million children. Poverty is not tied to an absolute value of how much an individual or family can afford, but is tied to a relative level based on how much the average individual makes. Statistics show that most Americans will live below the poverty line for at least one year when they are in between the ages of 25 and 75.

Minimum wage from $5.15 to $7 over three years and would be the first raise in the minimum wage in seven years. Under the suggested bill, the minimum hourly wage would increase by $0.70 two months after the legislation is signed into law. One year later, it would increase again by $0.60, and in the third year the minimum wage would increase by $0.55, bringing the minimum wage to $7 an hour. Currently working at a job, which is 40 hours a week, that being 52 weeks in a year, when worked out the average worker would have earned only $10,700, within that year, which is still $5,000 below the poverty line for a family of three. One parent working 40 hours per week at current minimum wage earns only 40% of the estimated cost to raise two children. How can we live off of just that?

As senator, I proposed this bill hoping to get it passed, in order to create a higher living standard for those of poverty and those who are poor, but on October 19th, 2004, my bill was voted against. This infers to me, how much do our politicians care about our people? Are we living in the same world? Or is it that because the politicians earn so much money off of American citizens tax dollars that the issues of whose suffering because of the laws congress set in place doesn't matter?

In 2005, I attempted to propose my bill again, but again it was rejected. In 2007, my comrade George Miller came up with the idea that the minimum wage rate conflicted with the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938, which made the House have no choice, but to pass the bill. The act raises the federal minimum wage in 3 increments: to $5.85 per hour 60 days after enactment (2007-07-24), to $6.55 per hour 12 months after that (2008-07-24), and finally to $7.25 per hour 12 months after that (2009-07-24). One of the biggest aspects of the bill was that the republicans and president Bush wanted to add tax cuts of small businesses. The House and the Senate passed the minimum wage on May 24, 2007 as part of HR 2206, the supplemental aid of the Iraq War. As part of the deal, $4.8 billion worth of tax breaks are going to be given to small business over a 10-year period to offset the wage increase.

Minimum wage didn’t change for tipped employees, leaving it at $5.15 fro most places. Though this bill only suggests a MINIMUM wage, which they can choose to exceed or sustain, I still believe that this isn’t enough. My original idea was to have it increase, year by year, little by little, to make our society and its price of living more livable. The average person spends about $50 a day according to Us News, $50 multiplied by 365, the amount of days in a year, amounts to $18, 250, which is higher than the poverty line for a family of three people. Even with the raise in minimum wage, the fact still stands that Americans are still living well below the poverty level and most of these Americans have families to take care of and tend to, with the couple thousand dollars they earn a year.

Though, I helped lead the torch in an aspect of Americas economy progression, I don't feel I’ve done enough. We as a culture and people should continue to grow, the stronger we are as a country, the easier it is for us to flourish. This year, I plan to propose, the Fair Minimum Wage Act of 2010. With the citizens and not just politicians in mind, I am hoping to one day, lessen the percentage of people who are well below the poverty line, instead of watching it grow every year. Supporting our country, helps build our country.

Senator Edward Ted Kennedy

749px-Barack_Obama_and_Ted_Kennedy_in_Hartford,_February_4,_2008

How the origin of life through the understanding of evolution is factual if it's contradicts the knowledge of cells?

Charles Darwin's theory of evolution is the widespread belief that all life is related and has descended from a common ancestor and that birds, fruits, fish and reptiles are all related. It is said that complex creatures evolve from more simplistic ancestors naturally over time. Many people believe it is a fact, but the theory of evolution is flawed and that is why it is only a theory. How can evolution be true if it contradicts the knowledge of scientific things we already understand?

The beginning of life through the theory of evolution came along by chance. Science shows that in order for a cell to survive and reproduce, it must have DNA, RNA and proteins, which are complex molecules. What is the probability that DNA, RNA and protein formed by chance? RNA is needed to produce proteins but at the same time proteins are needed in the production of RNA transcription. One couldn’t exist without the other. What are the odds of both RNA and protein appear by probability at the same time and place?

The way cells work and are made are too complicated to be made by chance through evolution. The probability for every cell to know it’s job in the body and work in harmony for it to properly run the body is nearly close to zero percent.

Marshall Brain, author of the article “How Evolution Works” said that the first living cells had to possess “A cell wall, the ability to grow, the ability to process other molecules floating outside the cell as food to create energy and the ability to split itself to reproduce.” How did a cell know how to do these things in the beginning of evolution? It takes time for a trait to be pass on but the chance of all these traits to already be given to the first form of life is low. Even though some things have been proven factual in the theory of evolution such as natural selection, the origin of life from the theory of evolution is hard to believe.

Sources:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1097583/types_of_cells_in_the_human_body.html?cat=5
http://nobelprize.org/educational/medicine/dna/index.html
http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/life/evolution/evolution.htm
http://www.darwins-theory-of-evolution.com/

The Hyde Amendment

I created a digital timeline showing how a bill (The Hyde Amendment) became a law.

Below is a link to my dropbox which contains my digital timeline.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1984868/AmGov_T.Reid/Am_Gov_HydeAmendment.flv

_______________________________________________________________________________

Bibliography :

1. N/a, . "Report: Hyde Amendment not enforced." UPI.com. UPI, 09/28/2010. Web. 9 Nov 2010. http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2010/09/28/Report-Hyde-Amendment-not-enforced/UPI-31121285685508/

2. Franke-Ruta, Franke-Ruta. "A new push against Hyde amendment faces some high hurdles." The Washington Post. The Washington Post, 03/22/2010. Web. 9 Nov 2010. http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2010/03/a-new-push-against-hyde-with-h.html

3. Kissling, Frances. "Pass healthcare reform -- then repeal Hyde!." Salon.com. Salon, 03/21/2010. Web. 9 Nov 2010. http://www.salon.com/life/broadsheet/2010/03/21/repeal_hyde_amendment

4. Eggen, Dan. "Abortion Opponents Criticize Health Reform Bills." The Washington Post. The Washington Post, 07/23/2009. Web. 9 Nov 2010. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/22/AR2009072201583.html

5. The Oyez Project, Harris v. McRae , 448 U.S. 297 (1980) 
available at: (http://oyez.org/cases/1970-1979/1979/1979_79_1268)

6. Abramowitz, Elkan. "The Hyde Amendment: Congress Creates a Toehold for Curbing Wrongful Prosecution ." National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. NACDL, 03/1998. Web. 9 Nov 2010. http://www.nacdl.org/CHAMPION/ARTICLES/98mar04.htm

7. The Oyez Project, Roe v. Wade , 410 U.S. 113 (1973) 
available at: (http://oyez.org/cases/1970-1979/1971/1971_70_18)

(last visited Tuesday, November 9, 2010).

Over the summer...

The purpose of this video is to teach Noah and other how to congregate verbs into the past tense. After watching this video you should be able to have the knowledge of how to congregate verbs into past tense and use it as a helpful guide. The video shows an example of a real life situation where congregation happens and then gives a more detailed explanation in English so that the viewer (Noah) is able to understand. We are really proud of the Keynote because it is clear and easy to understand. If we had more time we would of recorded more.
Does this video help you any in understanding how to congregate?

Spanish Video

SPANISH 101

The purpose of this project is to teach Noah, a friend of Srta. G.'s, how to speak Spanish using different verb tenses such as the present tense and preterite tense. After watching our tutorial, Noah should be able to greet people and speak in the correct tenses.

The only questions I have for Noah are...
  • Do you like Spain so far?
  • Do you think our video helped you at all?
  • How is it being emerged in Spanish and not know any of it, does it make it easier to pick up on?
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2270565/Spanish_Vid-1.mov

Senior English: The Scarlet Letter, Juno, and Easy A

While studying The Scarlet Letter, Juno, and Easy A, our Sexuality and Society in Literature class examined the thematic connections between the three "texts" and crafted creative projects (accompanied by written self-reflections) that sought to capture a major theme from the works. 

Senior Brett Chapman chose to focus on the idea of an individual feeling ostracized by the larger society based on choices she/he made.  He states, "For my thematic project, I chose to focus on social outcasts and use a teen lens. Fabricating t-shirts, each with a different message, I explored choices some teens make that lead us to judge and isolate them. Thus, each t-shirt is an expression of an outcast in the 21st century.  The following pictures are of teenagers who have volunteered their time to participate in this photo shoot. The statements printed on the shirts do not display factual information of the models." The T-shirts and photos are displayed on the third floor outside of Room 303. http://teachertube.com/members/viewVideo.php?video_id=203282&title=Brett_Chapman_I_Am_Video

Senior Beth Knibbe chose to write an original song with lyrics to explore the themes of intellect vs. passion and love deeply rooted in true emotions. In her self-reflection, she expresses "I tried to start writing some lyrics [for my project] but I was coming up with nothing. I decided to think of some places in The Scarlet Letter where I saw these themes most prominently. The first part was the scene in the forest where Hester is watching Dimmesdale walk along the path before she approaches him. This got the ball rolling for me." Inspired by the text, Beth composed a listless guitar melody to match Dimmesdale's state of mind.  The rest is up to you to relfect on.  Download her song and take a listen for yourself.

The Only One

No Child Left Behind Act

Benchmark #1: The Story of H.R. 810 (The Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act of 2005)

For our first quarter benchmark in American Government, we were tasked with telling the story of one bill's journey to becoming a law.  I chose to research the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act of 2005, which sought to overturn President Bush's 2001 policy, which halted federal funding for stem cell research on new embryos.  The story contained a few twists and the journey was influenced by many outside parties.  

Below is the link to my comic book.  Once it opens, simply click the thumbnail to view the entire book. 

H.R. 810: The Story of a Controversial Bill's Fall from Grace:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1954347/H.R.%20810%20Comic_Valentine/Launcher.html