Finney & Co. Shut Out King 2-0; Advance to Sweet 16 vs Central on Mon, 5/23

​For the past seven seasons the Rockets have been fighting to reach the level where real Baseball takes place every day. After finally earning a win in their 9th attempt (2010), the program has never looked back. Having only lost four regular season games in the past four seasons, SLA's overall record has surged to 66-19, and a 25-game regular season winning streak has secured consecutive undefeated seasons and back-to-back DivisionTitles.

The climb out of the cellars of D and C has been hard fought, and so their seat at the A-Table next season is well-deserved. SLA's magical run to the 2015 Final Four has been backed up by another outstanding season, and a chip has resided squarely on their collective shoulder after politics got in the way of their push to become the first unranked team to ever win a City Title. Earning a Bye and hosting a 2nd Round Playoff game was a perfect way to start another run. But the entire house of royal blue dreams built off blood, sweat and tears nearly came crashing down upon them.  

In standard fashion The Rockets got off to a quick start against their rival King, a team SLA had bested 12-2 early in the season. Sophomore Tony Brown had a patient at-bat, and worked for a pitch he could smack into left field for a lead off single. He quickly stole 2nd and easily scored a heartbeat later after Leon Finney ripped a Triple into the Left Center gap. Finney scored three pitches later on a passed ball as King's starter Johnson tried to stay away from hard-hitting senior Kevin Courtney. 

Both sides expected the lead to grow exponentially each inning as it did back in March, but there it stood for the next five innings- Rockets 2, King 0. Serious chances to change that evaporated each inning as both sides bent, but neither broke.

While Johnson kept SLA's bats oddly silent, Leon Finney and Lukas Supovitz-Aznar held it down by combining for 9 Strikeouts over 5 shutout innings of two-hit ball, setting up Ben Simon for the save. But King's best chance came in the 6th when they loaded the bases on a walk, fielder's choice, walk and error. Simon kept his composure and worked out of the jam by recording back-to-back Strikeouts. The Rockets had a chance in their half of the 6th but couldn't tack on any insurance, setting up a dramatic finish.

With the top of the order on deck, King's DH worked a lead-off walk and reached 2nd on a passed ball. Simon struck out King's lead-off (Johnson), but then walked two to load the bases. As the intensity ratcheted up the Rockets and their fan base grew nervous for the first time all year. This was certainly the kind of Baseball they had always craved, but they simply didn't expect it this early in the playoffs. 

And so the stage was set for a storybook come-from-behind upset win, only this time it would be SLA that could be "shocked and awed". How quickly the tides can turn. 

King's clean-up hitter Ellison stepped in, worked the count full but Simon froze him with a fast ball on the outside corner. With two down, Simon reached inside and found something last seen (nearly a year ago to the date) when he dealt against the heart of the order to upset #1 Frankford. In an eerily similar spot, King's 5-hitter Willburn battled the count even at 2-2. Simon attacked and the crowd erupted when Willburn struck out on a check-swing. Players started to move, but home plate umpire Derrick Seagers said Willburn held up, making the count full again. Simon was beside himself.

For a moment Mt. Airy fell dead silent. Ben looked down, both inside himself and for a sign from freshman Catcher Avi Cantor. No one was breathing as he delivered. It's cliche, but time slowed down to 960 frames per second with SLA's season hanging on the pitch. Simon's fastball snapped hard. Cantor's glove remained perfectly framed on the outside corner. Seagers called third strike ended King's season. 

As the crowd screamed in relief the Rockets slowly came off the field and lined up to shake hands. But the tension wouldn't leave them. The tension couldn't leave them. They knew how close they had come to putting their dream on hold for another entire season. Words weren't needed, but junior Lukas Supovitz-Aznar and their coaches tried anyway.

While King discussed what could have been and reluctantly celebrated the end of a solid season, the Rockets reflected on how they had the skills, passion and collective mind to never step this close to the edge again. 

For the 2nd consecutive season SLA advances to the Sweet Sixteen and faces 4th-seeded, perennial contender Central High. If their 2015 run is any indicator, the Rockets are right where they want to be. 

2016 PIAA Public League Sweet Sixteen
B1 SLA Rockets vs A4 Central Lancers
Monday, 5/23 Central High School
15th & Somerville- 1st pitch, 315pm 

Tomy Fleurine Capstone

​I created a mixtape/album. I wanted to host a soccer tournament but my original partner proved to be not as available as I hoped and I was not able to raise the funds that I needed in order to have a successful tournament. My goal when starting my capstone was to do something that I can really relate to, have talent in, and that I love. I have been writing music since I was younger and had some songs I wanted to produce and put out there so it was not really a hard decision for me. Furthermore, I was able to find someone else with a Capstone exactly like mind, Ameer Forte. He planned to focus on rapping in his album and I planned to focus more on singing and producing. Therefore, I thought would be smart to work with him and create the album together. 

This has been a masterpiece in my opinion. All the Science Leadership Academy core values have been incorporated into this project. I collaborated with Ameer to get it done along with his uncle so collaboration was key. I have researched different ways to sing work on my voice so it sounds clearer, editing songs and make them sound good, and getting into a good flow of songwriting so research was key. I used inquiry to use my new found knowledge and apply it into the final product. I also used the remaining two core values which are presentation obviously and reflection. Enjoy. 

https://www.scienceleadership.org/media/open/38711
01 Intro_ I Hope You Feel Me (Prod. DougieOnTheBeat)
Our Struggle(Prod. Uncle Savage AKA Ramsey Forte
Dirt (Prod. Daw Beats)
04 All My Love Feat. Tomy Fleurine (Prod. Roland Forte & Classixs Beats)
05 Right My Wrongs_When I lost it (Prod. Lobia)
06 The Scene (Interlude) (Prod. P.SOUL)
Never Trust. (Prod. beatsinmybackpack)
Rotation Feat. Sincere The King (Prod. Nique Musiq & Ameer Forte)
09 We'll Be OK (Prod. Ricky Vela & Ameer Forte)
Tbh (Prod. Uncle Savage & Ameer Forte)
All The Feels (Interlude) (Prod. Ameer Forte) 2
Love Story Feat. Keely (Prod. Curtis Drummond)
13 Intentions (Prod. Flip)
Outro_All I Know (Prod. Canary Julz)

Annotated Bibliography

"Advice for New Referees | US Youth Soccer." US Youth Soccer. Web. 05 Feb. 2016.

Since we will be spending so much money for the tournament, we won’t have enough to hire referees for the game. We will be doing the refereeing ourselves therefore we needed a website showing us how to referee a game. Soccer is a very fast paced and dangerous game so we need to be fair to everyone and be in favor of the safety of everyone. However, we can’t be too soft and we need to know when people are flopping and when people are being fake. There is going to be yelling at the referees especially since they have to pay money to enter the tournament therefore we need to learn how to keep our composure. This website is a really good source about referees and how to referee effectively.

"Affiliates." Tournament Travel. Web. 05 Feb. 2016.

Soccer is played all through America. Especially in the youth soccer system in America, in these systems there are many tournaments. These tournaments help organize American soccer in ways that help develop soccer players throughout America in ways that help strengthen the game of soccer throughout America. This source gives an example of how soccer tournaments are supposed to be announced, documented, promoted, and hyped up to produce numerous participants and sustain organization.

"How to Organize a Soccer Tournament." WikiHow. Web. 05 Feb. 2016.

Organizing a soccer tournament takes a lot of time and energy. You have to promote to the public what you’re going to do, let as much as the public as possible know, and have the energy to have a successful tournament. Through hard work and dedication, a successful soccer tournament can be made. Sources like this help us understand how a tournament is supposed to work. Through making sure how everything is supposed to function to making sure everyone is having a good time. This source is an excellent way to help someone organize a tournament of any kind.

"How to Play Soccer." WikiHow. Web. 05 Feb. 2016.

Soccer, who is also known as football everywhere besides the U.S., Canada and Australia, is a fun, competitive game. It is the most-played sport in the world, with over 200 million players in about 200 countries. Now, it is referred to as "the beautiful game" because of its dazzling degrees of technical skill, team play, and individual contribution. This source shows a lot of information about the sport itself and it shows a lot about what you need in order to become a successful soccer player. It also shows a lot about different kits and other objects you need in order to play the sport.

"How to Host a Kick-Ass Event - Eventbrite Blog." Eventbrite Blog. 2009. Web. 05 Feb. 2016.

Hosting an event a takes a lot of work and hard dedication, and sweat and tears, blood and guts, haha jk . But forreal hosting an event is no joke, with it has to come a heart to serve your community and to have fun of course. Many events, whether they are formal events for an office party, concerts for famous singers or performers, or anything that requires an immense amount of concentration and dedication. This source helps us understand what it takes to host a successful public event.

Micah’s:

"How To Play Soccer." How To Play Soccer. Web. 05 Feb. 2016.

Soccer allows people to stay healthy and energized. Through this tournament, not only will the community be positively affected but it will enhance the knowledge of my partner and I to be better with our organizational skills as well as helping our community in ways we don’t have to. We plan on having money to raise to help the community through selling drinks at the tournament. We plan on even possibly teaching some of the kids at the tournament soccer as well. Understanding fully how to play soccer is necessary to complete this tournament. This source helps greatly with our cause.

"North Texas Soccer." Tournament Applications and Forms. Web. 05 Feb. 2016.

This source is a  really good source. It shows a lot of different tournament applications that we need to host the tournament. Soccer is a very fun and amazing sport however, it is also very dangerous. That’s the reason why we need a lot of different forms in order for a tournament hosting to be legal. This source provided me with a lot of information and forms so that my capstone can be successful. I’m going to get people to sign the forms and I’ll be good. This website is essentially a template for tournament forms.

Oklahoma Soccer Association." How To Host A Tournament. Web. 05 Feb. 2016.

This source helps us understand with much more understanding of how to create a successful tournament. We have many sources that help us make a successful tournament on this doc and this one is one of the most valuable. It helped us understand there is more to a tournament than just making it. It helped us see the true meaning of helping the community and what it means to have a successful Capstone.

"Tournament Brackets - Printable Single & Double Elimination." Tournament Brackets - Printable Single & Double Elimination. Web. 05 Feb. 2016.

This source allows our group to understand how brackets. Brackets work different ways and work often. Brackets can work for tournaments, competitions, events, social events, athletic events, non-athletic events. Other events like baseball tournaments, bowling tournaments, football tournaments, golf tournaments, such as PGA, the Masters, soccer tournaments. Which the Champions League, Copa del rey, World Cup, and other soccer tournaments like these. Basketball tournaments such as March Madness, the amazing, incredible, world class event known as the Olympics, the NBA Finals, along with many other beautiful tournaments in the world of sports. Brackets will help us organize our soccer tournament better.

"The Philly Soccer Page." The Philly Soccer Page. Web. 05 Feb. 2016.

Soccer is an amazing sport. Around the world, almost every country plays this sport, from Germany, to Australia, from Japan, to China, America, Greenland, Brazil, Argentina, Italy, France, England, Austria, Belgium, Narnia, Canada, Honduras, Peru, Turkey, Jamaica, Switzerland, Hawaii, Nigeria, Russia, North Korea, Afghanistan, Algeria, Egypt, the Congo, Syria, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, along with many others in the world. Soccer is a great sport. This source helps us understand world soccer better which ultimately helps us understand soccer better, which then helps us understand soccer better, in our city, which then helps us understand soccer better to do this tournament which then helps us complete this tournament because we understand soccer so well. This is a very beneficial sport.

Tamira Bell's Capstone: Photography Portfolio

To often people live their lives without meaning, simply going through the motions. They live a boring, mediocre life because they have not found their passion. A quote that I have heard many times in my youth is "A life without passion is not worth living.” The word passion in this sense can be defined as a strong or extravagant fondness or desire for anything. When you live your life without a passion or something that you have a high interest in, your life can be very dull and lifeless. My passion is photography.

For my capstone, I created a photography portfolio that features portrait and nature photography. The purpose of choosing this as my capstone was that I wanted to have a portfolio of my work so that I present it the world and expand it in college. Creating this portfolio really helped me sharpen my photography and editing skills. I took a lot of photos in a studio with a 3 light set up, so I learned a lot about lighting up my subject and adjusting my camera to the right settings under that light. I also learned about photo composition and what makes a photo visually appealing. I applied several photographic principles, one being the rule of thirds. I edited all of my photos in Adobe Photoshop. For most pictures it took me on an average of 30 minutes to edit. However some of the more complex pictures took anywhere from an hour to 5 hours to edit. I hope that you enjoy my portfolio.

Portfolio

DSC00587_350dpi
DSC00587_350dpi
DSC00056_350dpi
DSC00056_350dpi

Tiarra Bell's Capstone: Chooli Furniture Line

We live in a world where manual skills are shunned. As technology advances, manual skills, techniques, and tools are becoming obsolete and a thing of the past. However, preserving manual craftsmanship should be an essential part of designing a product. George Nakashima, an Japanese American Architect and woodworker once said “I believe in them, not only in the act of producing a better product, but in the sheer joy of doing or becoming.” This quote is the drive and motivation of my capstone.

For my capstone, I designed and created furniture using traditional woodworking methods. The traditional woodworking is a culture that is increasingly becoming extinct with companies like Ikea. There’s a high demand for nicely designed but cheaped crafted furniture. The modernism style is an important part of our culture today but we can’t forget the classic style and traditional methods.

(I'm still working on finishing the chair plus other products)

20160413_152146
20160413_152146
20160413_165821
20160413_165821
20160420_161821
20160420_161821
20160430_152754
20160430_152754
20160430_153054
20160430_153054
20160430_153622
20160430_153622
20160430_161455
20160430_161455
20160504_143135
20160504_143135
20160504_150839
20160504_150839
20160511_144020
20160511_144020
20160511_144032
20160511_144032
20160516_142014
20160516_142014
20160516_165805
20160516_165805
20160518_165306
20160518_165306
IMG_20160518_180608
IMG_20160518_180608

Mitchell Berven-Stotz Capstone

For my capstone, I had the grand scheme of, based on my constant enjoyment of digital video classes and being a member of Rough Cut Productions, creating a short film. The original goal for the project was a 35-50 minute film, but as I planned the piece, this became less achievable. Therefore, I decided to make a shorter piece that acts as a tribute to and showcase of my personal style of fiction. The final product, which you can view the teaser of below, is around 15 minutes long. It began with an initial image, which, through many evolutions of ideas, didn't even make it into the final product. Even after the initial write-up of the plot was complete, evolution occurred. After discovering the ordeal that is working with a fluid outline, the logistical trials emerged. Even with a cast of 5, and a crew of even less, I had to dance around the schedules of many to complete my piece. In production I encountered issues with audio control, filming environment, and camera setup, but learned from these experiences and am already working to fix them. I am working on the final polishing of the film. Overall, I enjoyed the project and was able to create a product that demonstrates my personal style. For the first time in my years as a Rough Cut member, I had full control of the project. 

Teaser below, Rough Cut, due to technical difficulties, will be uploaded 05/20/16:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-is-1eDqx8

Annotated Bibliography

August, John. "Johnaugust.com." Johnaugustcom RSS. N.p., 7 Feb. 2007. Web. 05 Feb. 2016.

Screenwriter John August gives his tips on writing dialogue. 1. Eavesdrop, because real sounding conversation comes from hearing real conversation. 2. Craft your dialogue around the flow of your scene. Run the scene through in your head multiple times, until dialogue starts manifesting. By building a clear image of the scene in your head, you are able to pace your dialogue in such a way that it makes the scene feel real. 3. You need to match the dialogue structure or presentation of the information to the scenario (setting, mood, character relations, known knowledge). 4. Write a rough version of the scene, super rough, before writing the actual scene. 5. Step it up. 6.  

"Film Lighting Techniques and Tips: With Pretty Pictures!" Free Online Film School: Learn Filmmaking. N.p., 30 Apr. 2010. Web. 05 Feb. 2016.

There were a few takeaways from this source, all revolving around lighting. Without lighting, your imagery will look flat and uninteresting. You can bring in many different moods and looks through the use of lighting techniques. A technique I will definitely attempt is the shadowy look from a soft front, heavy backlight. I hadn’t realised how important lighting was. It is required for essentially every scene you would shoot, even in circumstances with a lot of natural light. Color correction cannot help with everything. I will attempt these lighting techniques, and I will make a focus in my storyboarding on the effects I can achieve with light. This is from a director’s blog.

Helmy, David K. "Adobe Premiere Pro CC." How to Edit Videos with Premiere Pro. Adobe, n.d. Web. 05 Feb. 2016.

Premiere is my editing tool, and this source goes over how to use it. It is similar to Final Cut in many ways, but there are a few key differences, especially when it comes to detailed selection of my clips. It is important for me to be able to use Premiere effectively, as I will have limited time to work with it. This resource has given me the ability to efficiently edit my footage. I can further use this resource to delve deeper into the uses and techniques I can pull off. This source comes from the official Adobe site.

Howell, John M. Homicide Investigation Standard Operating Procedures. N.p.: Policeforum.org, 1999. Print.

This pdf details police procedure for crime scenes, circa 1999. The investigator goes in to survey the scene of the crime. They must document every essential piece of information. You begin by taking the time, weather conditions, and receiving information from and questioning the first officer. Make sure every officer at the scene has done their job, and that all loose ends are covered. You talk to and tend to the needs of the witnesses, if there are any. I used this source to give me an idea of what type of work my protagonist would be used to. How does one go about investigating a crime scene?

"Introduction to Three-Point Lighting & Other Video Lighting Techniques." 3-Point Lighting. Nikon, n.d. Web. 05 Feb. 2016.

I am really trying to step up my lighting game for this project, as lighting is extremely useful for setting mood and tone in film. This source is an educational tool for three point lighting, a method which, because of the use of only 3 lights, I have the ability to pull off. Light reflectors are also important, as they can help bring the dark parts of my subject into view. The video goes over the use of LED lights, which are what I have access to. The main takeaway is that you can set the lights up in such a way that you are able to fully illuminate your subject with a minimal amount of light sources. This source is from Nikon.

"Mass Murder, Shooting Sprees and Rampage Violence: Research Roundup - Journalist's Resource." Journalists Resource. N.p., 01 Oct. 2015. Web. 05 Feb. 2016.

My film, even though it is wrapped up in the supernatural, wants to look at what creates violence, and how violence moves through society. This is a compilation of research and analysis of violent crime statistics, used as a resource for reporters. US has a much higher (6.9% higher), crime rate than other countries at its socio-economic level. My piece has to do with a teen who murders a group of their friends. This research tries to examine the causes of mass murder. However, the causes for these events are constantly left to debate, and new research methods are necessary for better analysis.

Mott, Parker. "Suspense Film Editing | Art of the Guillotine." The Art of the Guillotine. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 Feb. 2016.

For making suspense in your visuals: Have your camera or a character have a voyeuristic, observational feel. Distant, spaced, watching. When showing the room, cut in close ups of objects that are of importance to the plot. Hint at them, giving audience a “what purpose will they have” feeling. When not zoomed, give pannings of the room, wide looks. Montage can be used to good effect, allowing you to show what all is happening, without actually revealing it entirely, which ruins suspense. Humour can make suspense even lighter, showing that the characters don’t know what you know about the situation. Have multiple things happen at once. Thumbs up for plot twists. This is from a writer, director, editor.

Sakula, Dora Ash. "How to Create Suspense in a Screenplay - Raindance." Raindance. Raindance Film Festival, 23 July 2015. Web. 05 Feb. 2016.

“Suspense is the anticipation of action, it’s not action itself. The moment you have action, your suspense is gone.” Suspense is about keeping the audience wondering what will happen, how something transpired. You are meant to feel as if you are empathizing with the character, so that you feel like you are in danger with them. I am planning on making my film very suspenseful, and this is a succinct definition of what suspense is, surrounded by a very good example of how it can work. Suspense can work with any event that a character is put into, that becomes dangerous or goes against their wishes. Source is from a film fest seminar.

Sullivan, Jack. "'Hitchcock's Music' Scores Big on Suspense." NPR. NPR, 10 Feb. 2007. Web. 05 Feb. 2016.

An important part of suspenseful film is the soundtrack. This NPR article discusses different pieces of music and how they build suspense. You want to match the speed of your music to the speed of your imagery. By having music over silence, you are able to make things less “stark”, and give them emotion. The music you place gives the emotion of the scene. However, music can become overused, making it less impactful, and detracting from the feeling of the scenes. The amount of sound layered in the music has to do with the level of importance or emotion. More instrumentation, more emotion.

Urry, Allen B. "Modern Police Interrogation Techniques Use Subtle Psychological Manipulation." Everest.edu. Everest Universities, 8 June 2008. Web. 4 Feb. 2016.

How does one go about suspect interrogation? This is a very important part of my piece, as the middle segment of my film focusses on/ is structured by an interrogation. THis article focusses on the Reid technique of interrogation. It features nine steps: 1. Lay out the evidence. 2. Give the suspect a setup where other people put them into the situation. 3. Don’t let the suspect speak, assault them with the many ways in which they are to blame. 4. Turn whatever objections they make onto them. 5. Play good cop. 6. Voice several different ideas, looking for unique reactions. 7. Give them two scenarios, and look to see if the suspect chooses the safer option. 8. Get them to repeat the confession. 9. Document. From Everest Universities.

William Derry Capstone

Abstract:

I created The Empire: All Things College Basketball In Philadelphia last year with my good friend Benjamin Simon after attending a journalism conference at Germantown Friends School (GFS) and being inspired by National Baseball correspondent Tyler Kepner. Kepner shared a magazine of his own creation from when he was younger, which led to our sports website idea.

I prepared for the upcoming season by writing recruiting profiles for incoming freshman who were recruited by the six schools that we decided to cover (Temple, Saint Joseph's Penn, La Salle, Villanova and Drexel). The recruiting profiles helped us lay down a foundation for the site.

Once we were informed of the media polices related to covering a college basketball team by two collegiate media relations directors, we began to conduct our first interviews with players and coaches.

We added more writers to our staff by sending out a tweet from our @PhillyEmpire Twitter handle. Shortly after, two writers agreed to join us. We gained traction by posting articles to Twitter and Facebook, which led to a staff of nine writers and a photographer.

From having access to the media room at the Palestra and Hagan Arena, to sitting courtside next to professional journalists at games, to listening in on Phil Martelli and Steve Donahue’s post-game press conferences, this has really be an exhilarating experience and one that I could not have even dreamed of. My website has come a long way in the past year and I want to continue the success.

Link to website

Annotated Bibliography

Delaney, Tim. "Tim Delaney Villanova." Telephone interview. 11 June 2015.

This is a telephone interview recording between myself and Tim Delaney. Delaney is college basketball player who currently attends Villanova University and is in his freshman year there. This interview was conducted before the season started but while he was on campus preparing for the season. Many questions were asked during this interview that had to do with his high school basketball career, his decision to attend Villanova University and what he like’s to do off of the court, among other things. The content of the interview was used for an article written about Delaney in June of 2015, that featured a Q&A section that contained some of his responses. This telephone interview recording was credible.           

Donahue, Steve. "Steve Donahue." Personal interview. 2 Jan. 2016.

This is a press conference recording of Steve Donahue from after Penn’s game against Binghamton. Donahue is Penn’s head men’s basketball coach and is in his first year with the team. Since it is a press conference recording, the recording included questions from many reporters who attended the game and responses from Donahue and a current Penn men’s basketball player who also attended the press conference. The content of the press conference recording was used in an article about Penn’s freshman players playing big roles on the team this season, that included quotes from head coach Steve Donahue about the freshman. This press conference recording was credible.          

Gianni, John. "Atlantic 10 Men's Basketball Teleconference." Telephone interview. 18 Jan. 2016.

This is a telephone interview recording of John Gianni from the Atlantic 10 Men’s Basketball Teleconference on January 18th of 2016. Gianni is La Salle’s University’s head men’s basketball coach and has been with the team for 12 seasons. Since it is a teleconference recording, the recording includes questions from many reporters who called into the conference, as well as Gianni’s responses to those questions. The content of the teleconference recording was used as background information in an article that previewed La Salle’s matchup against Big 5 rival Temple, that included Gianni’s opinion about how the season has gone so far which led to me forming my own opinion on their season. This telephone interview recording was credible.                     

"Home." City of Basketball Love. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 Feb. 2016.

City of Basketball Love is a website that covers men’s basketball throughout the tri-state area, more specifically they write about high school and college basketball. The editor-in-chief of the site Josh Verlin, who graduated from Temple University with a degree in broadcast journalism, has served as a resource for the site and has aided us with his knowledge of  journalism and media. His blog has served as an example of high quality sports journalism, as well as high school and college men’s basketball media coverage, which in turn has given us guidance and led to our site being what it is today. This site is credible.            

Interview by Daniel Jeremiah. Audio blog post. Move the Sticks with Daniel Jeremiah & Bucky Brooks. N.p., 17 Apr. 2015. Web. 20 Dec. 2015.

Move the Sticks with Daniel Jeremiah & Bucky Brooks is a podcast series where two former NFL Scouts talk about football, more specifically they discuss current NFL and College events. Jeremiah is currently an analyst on the NFL Network and writes for NFL.com, while Brooks is a former NFL player and writes about the NFL for Sports Illustrated. Since Ben and I conduct our own podcast, Move the Sticks with Daniel Jeremiah & Bucky Brooks has served as a quality example of a sports themed podcast. Ben and I have incorporated this source in our own podcast by following their lead by starting the podcast with music for an intro. This podcast is credible.             

Kepner, Tyler. "Imported Stars Give Red Sox a Chance at a Worst-to-First Repeat." The New York Times. The New York Times, 09 Apr. 2015. Web. 05 Feb. 2016.

The New York Times article “Imported Stars Give Red Sox a Chance at a Worst-to-First Repeat” was written around the same time Ben and I attended a journalism conference at GFS (Germantown Friends School) by Tyler Kepner. Kepner, who is a GFS alum and national baseball correspondent for The New York Times, spoke at that conference and I was inspired by his experiences as a teenager when he created his own sports magazine. He also had the opportunity to interview Philadelphia Phillies baseball players at that youthful age. I have used this source by following in Kepner’s footsteps by creating by own media during my teenage years. This article was credible.    

Kimble, Lamarr. "Lamarr Kimble Saint Joseph's." Telephone interview. 22 July 2015.

This is a telephone interview recording between myself and Lamarr Kimble. Kimble is a college basketball player who currently attends Saint Joseph’s University and is in his freshman year there. This interview was conducted before the season started but while he was on campus preparing for the season. Many questions were asked during this interview that had to do with his high school basketball career, his decision to attend Saint Joseph’s University and what he like’s to do off of the court, among other things. The content of the interview was used for an article written about Kimble in August of 2015. This telephone interview recording was credible.   

Martelli, Phil. "Atlantic 10 Men's Basketball Teleconference." Telephone interview. 18 Jan. 2016.

This is a telephone interview recording of Phil Martelli from the Atlantic 10 Men’s Basketball Teleconference on January 18th of 2016. Martelli is Saint Joseph’s University’s head men’s basketball coach and has been with the team for 21 seasons. Since it is a teleconference recording, the recording includes questions from many reporters who called into the conference, as well as Martelli’s responses to those questions. The content of the teleconference recording was used as background information in an article that previewed Saint Joseph’s matchup against Big 5 rival Penn, that included Martelli’s opinion about how the season has gone so far which led to me forming my own opinion on their season. This telephone interview recording was credible.          

Martelli, Phil. "Saint Joseph's Press Conference 12-29-15." Personal interview. 29 Dec. 2015.

This is a press conference recording of Phil Martelli from after Saint Joseph’s game against Maryland-Eastern Shore. Martelli is Saint Joseph’s head men’s basketball coach and is in his 21st year with the team. Since it is a press conference recording, the recording included questions from many reporters who attended the game, which the Hawks won and responses from Martelli. The content of the press conference recording was used as background information to better understand the team’s mindset at the time, which turned out to be the same as it was in the beginning of the season “Win the day”. This press conference recording was credible.   

"WFUV Sports Halftime Show." WFUV Sports Halftime Show. WFUV Sports. Philadelphia, PA, 16 Jan. 2016. Radio.

This is a halftime radio broadcast recording from Saint Joseph’s game against Fordham University. The halftime radio show was conducted by Fordham University’s radio station WFUV Sports at Hagan Arena, which is Saint Joseph University’s basketball arena. WFUV has been in existence for more than 65 years and is based out of Bronx, NY, where Fordham University is located. Ben was featured on the broadcast as a member of PhillyEmpire, which served as a promotion opportunity for the site. I used this source as a way to promote the site to a different and larger audience through social media sites, such as Facebook and Twitter. This halftime radio broadcast recording was credible.  

Nashay Day's Capstone

Abstract: For my capstone, I decided to do a clothes drive. I am a person who is incredibly passionate about fashion, however, at the same time I am someone who really enjoys assisting people and making sure that those around me have the necessities they need to survive. My capstone consisted of me requesting that my peers give me clothes that they did not desire. I then sorted through to make sure everything was acceptable and in good condition. I then gathered them to wash them. The last and final step is to drop them off at the Salvation Army and to sell the clothes in pristine condition, the proceeds will be going to the SLA Debate Team. 

Annotated Bibliography: 

Brock, Catherine "How To Clean Thrift Store Clothing"

Part of completing this process was how to thoroughly clean the clothing that I received. This article goes into detail on what to use in order to remove certain scents and tells us how to maintain the clothing's quality. 

Hancher, Julie, "Where to Donate Used Clothes in Philly: WCI Wed" 12 Feb. 2014

This article was incredibly informative as it gave me an idea of where to donate clothes in the Philadelphia area. It lists a few sights from each area in the city which made it very easy for me to navigate people in to local stops. 

Big Green Purse "How I Collected 30 Warm Coats at my Cookies for Clothing Drive" 

This was a fascinating read! It was a unique take on collecting clothes for the greater good. It's amazing to see what people will give when there is a bit of an incentive to give. I really enjoy how she lists what to do step by step which was helpful when trying to figure out the timeline. 

Used Clothing Drive "How Do I Start?" http://www.usedclothingdrive.com/start/ 
This article was an amazing resource. First because it was stellar in terms of preliminary research. While the clothes drive seemed to be easy there were still many things that I did not know how to do. For example, I had no idea on how to organizing and this source laid this out incredibly. 

"How to Organize a Clothes Collection Drive - Volunteer Weekly." Volunteer Weekly. N.p., 11 Jan. 2013. Web. 20 May 2016.

This was also a vital resource. Again, this is a source that was apart of preliminary research for my timeline. This source again gives a list of how to organize what a clothes drive. The previous source had things that I could imagine but this source was the opposite. It talked about NGO's which I had no idea could play part.

Taylor Washington's Capstone

​For my capstone I decided to become a vlogger and capture important moments of my senior on video. I decided to do this because I wanted to learn how to edit my own video on my own without asking for help every 3 seconds. Another reason why I chose to do this was because I really wanted to just have fun while learning what it takes to not only be behind the camera but behind the computer screen editing and uploading media.
So far I think the hardest thing about filming was the actual editing the video on a professional program. Even though it would have been 50 times easier to use iMovie. Having the patience and sticking to you idea was extremely important in this process. I learned that it's not always gonna be perfect and that's okay, something I wish I difrfrently is chose a better mentor and actually upload video once a week.

Cole Hinton Capstone

For my capstone, I wanted to add items to the SLA apparel. The person who helped me with this was Travis Fields, who works at Philly Kid Grafix The first thing that I did was make a survey to find out what people would like to see in the school store. The next step was to find a place to produce the products. From there, the next step was to produce the products and sell them. But, that couldn’t happen. Unfortunately, my capstone could not get started and happen how I wanted. Some of the problems that I went through were communication problems. There were days when I wasn’t available and days where Travis wasn’t available. Another problem I faced was not getting some of my questions asked and waiting for answers for a long time.

When things weren’t going well, I had to find another place to produce my products. The next thing I tired was Customink.com. This was good at first until the price came around. The problem with this source was that they were too much money. I wanted to make my products under $30 and that wasn’t the case.

Something that I would do differently is starting this a little bit earlier than I did so I wouldn’t have to go through this same problem again. Another thing I would do differently is having more than one source. This way if one source wasn’t working, I would have more to rely on.

Click here for the bibliography

Here are some ideas and pictures for my capstone. View them here.

Here are links to Philly Kid Grafix:

http://www.pkg215.com/PKG/CONTACT.html

http://phillykidgrafix.bigcartel.com/products

Alejandro Bautista Garcia Capstone

As Senior year came in closer I often wondering what I should do for my capstone, I never really knew what to do and always felt stressed about it since it was a project that I had to dedicate myself to for a whole year. As time passed by I always heard of my peers starting their ideas or already finding out what to do, at this point I asked my advisor, Mark Bey what I should do and he came with one of the most innovative and impressive ideas as always and told me that I should do my capstone of how live is an immigrant. I took this rough diamond idea and perfected it by turning into a documentary comparing lives of three types of people. Someone who was born here, born outside of the U.S and moved when young and lastly someone who moved to the U.S very recently.  

After taking this idea I realized that I didn't have so much time so I got started on it since I needed very specific people and barely had anytime to work on it. As weeks went buy I had a very nice amount of people that wanted to be part of my documentary as well as aiding me throughout this process. Many days later I compiled a good amount of interview and decided to show my advisor as time progressed in which my advisor often gave me good tips on how to make my documentary better which I'm proud of and I wish the world to see.

Overall this idea was very fun and I really enjoyed completing because I learned about many people who I only knew so little about and made me be closer with them since I often knew this people as acquaintances or sports friends and now we have a better bond and communication since everything that was sad was very personal yet useful. 

1)http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/29/magazine/debunking-the-myth-of-the-job-stealing-immigrant.html?smid=tw-nytimes

Davidson, Adam. "Debunking the Myth of the Job-Stealing Immigrant." The New York Times. The New York Times, 24 Mar. 2015. Web. 05 Feb. 2016. This source is very useful because it talks about a myth that many uneducated citizen in the U.S. seem to have and use whenever they feel like. I'm going to use this link to understand different topics or immigration and how most of their lives are afterwards. This link mostly talks about why this myth is wrong and how it actually works.

2)http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/11/21/opinion/sunday/exposures-uncertain-journeys.html?_r=0

Gilbertson, Ashley. "Uncertain Journeys." The New York Times. The New York Times, 20 Nov. 2015. Web. 05 Feb. 2016. I’m going to use this source to feel or be prepared to what most people have to say about their lives as non-natives from the U.S. This article is about Syrian refugees who had to flee their ordinary lives because of the acts done by terrorist who had be done some horrendous acts for example the Paris attack. This just helps me to expect more crazy or untold stories that not that many have heard in their lives and I want to project all of it during my project.

3)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tswCrfRGEA

Land, Bev. ""An American Alien" by Dania Ramirez." YouTube. YouTube, 1 Jan. 2015. Web. 05 Feb. 2016. This is an outstanding story about a little Dominican parents that had to leave their daughters and other family members. After this they were talking about their lives as how it changed meaning moving to the U.S. going to college, learning the english language, owning a house, struggling through many things and even starting a new family. This is a great source because I really need sources like this or information like this in my interview. This helps me understand more and more of the immigrant life.

4)http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/07/nyregion/fleeing-violence-in-honduras-a-teenage-boy-seeks-asylum-in-brooklyn.html?hp

Leland, John. "Fleeing Violence in Honduras, a Teenage Boy Seeks Asylum in Brooklyn." The New York Times. The New York Times, 05 Dec. 2014. Web. 05 Feb. 2016. So pretty much this explains why most of the immigrants in the U.S. come to the U.S. to begging with. This is useful because I can expect a maximum of one person in my interview process to have a story about violence or something related to it. This source just talks about why this boy moved from Honduras to Brooklyn due to violence. This source will mostly help me to prepare myself to expect something big and make better questions for my interviewees.

5)http://articles.philly.com/2014-11-11/news/56395062_1_war-refugees-congolese-juliane-ramic

Matza, Michael. "Congolese War Refugees Start over in Philadelphia." Philly-archives. 11 Nov. 2014. Web. 05 Feb. 2016. This source mostly talks about how most immigrants come from other countries due to war and poverty it says a lot about their struggles and what they have to go through to even learn about the new language. This link will help me to understand what most people have to go through in order to become a citizen of a country. This source will also help me to formulate better questions throughout my interview process.

6)http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/12/education/edlife/first-generation-students-unite.html?hp

Pappano, Laura. "First-Generation Students Unite." The New York Times. The New York Times, 11 Apr. 2015. Web. 05 Feb. 2016. This link is very important to my research because it talks a whole lot about being a first generation student coming from a family who migrated not so long ago. I’m going to use this source to understand how most of these people think and how they see their world. This source mainly talks about the first generation students or family members and how they live their lives. This mostly helps me with more research questions to think of and maybe how to get to important stories out of them.

7)https://medium.com/@humansofnewyork/humans-of-new-york-refugee-stories-243336f4adeb#.57au3b5lx

Stanton, Brandon. "Humans of New York Refugee Stories." Medium. 2015. Web. 05 Feb. 2016. This incredible story is about a Turkish men who was affected by ISIS and how his life went from being the best in the world to complete hell. After a while everything started to get better, he decided to learn as much as possible I believe even learning roughly 3 languages followed earning a citizenship in Austria and getting things better with his family. I like this source because it is exactly what I wanted to learn about and it is exactly what I want to show people in my movie.

8)http://aldianews.com/articles/opinion/2014-story-year-immigration/37080

Editorial. "The 2014 Story of the Year: Immigration." The 2014 Story of the Year: Immigration. 29 Dec. 2014. Web. 05 Feb. 2016. This source is about current things that happened not so long ago about the immigrants being deported without any justice even being kept around the border in cages. This source also talks about immigrants not being able to have their rights properly followed. This source helps me understand the injustice towards immigrants that have no papers.

9)http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/02/opinion/a-life-without-papers.html?hp

Vasquez, Ehiracenia. "A Life Without Papers." The New York Times. The New York Times, 02 Mar. 2015. Web. 05 Feb. 2016. This link is very useful because it talks about the life of many immigrants without papers in the U.S. and how difficult it is at the beginning but by doing the right process their lives can change very quickly and achieve the American dream that all immigrants want to achieve. this teaches me what to expect in my upcoming interviews for example people like I stated above and other sort of things. This source s mostly useful for my research and question making.

10)http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/01/18/what-do-we-owe-each-other/?action=click&_r=0

WENDLAND, AARON JAMES. "What Do We Owe Each Other?" Opinionator What Do We Owe Each Other Comments. 18 Jan. 2016. Web. 04 Feb. 2016. I used this website because it gives me a better understanding on different backgrounds. I’m going to use this website for some of my capstones questions because by doing so it will give me a better understanding on how to obtain stories from whoever I will be interviewing in the future. This article is about what would be right in terms of morale about the refugees. It talks about how nowadays different cultures are often generalized, a few examples that was brought up during this article was “Brits are reserved, Americans are outgoing” while “Jews are greedy and Muslims are terrorist”.

https://youtu.be/D44kwfXHPqw

Brian Torres Capstone

For my capstone, I worked with my church(The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints aka the Mormon Church) to better improve the family history/ancestry program that is run through the church with a program known as Indexing. Indexing is a program that is used my members of the LDS church to further increase the database of names in the church's genealogy records so that things can be done in a more sacred setting. So, to further simplify what it is that I did, for my capstone, I worked with the genealogy group at my church to archive as many names as I could through the Indexing program into the LDS church's database. I chose to have my dad as my mentor, for several reasons, for one I knew that he would keep me in check through the whole process of completing the project and was always asking me for updates on how far along I was.

What you see in the picture above is just one of the many files I went through and archived names and information that I could find based off of those documents. In the photo, we can tell that what I'm looking at is a draft registration card for someone who had just been drafted into the US Military to go on and enlist to fight in WWII. On the left side of the card, we see a good portion of personal info about the person(name, place of birth and current place of living, date of birth, etc.) and on the right side which is a little cut off is where we see more info describing his looks(race, height, weight, complexion, hair and eye color) and we also at the bottom of that part of the page which is cut off in the photo, we see the date that the person became a registered and enlisted member of the US Military.
The indexing program was and is a very tedious program to work with. Everytime you download a file to archive/index, you as the user are given a week to complete the indexing of that particular file before the file is removed from the user's account and returned to the database of files yet to be fully indexed so that someone else somewhere in the world can finish what you started.
What you see in the above picture is the screen the user is brought to when they log in. As you can see here, at the moment that the picture was taken, I was working on two different files(which are known as batches in the Indexing program), one thing that stands out is the due dates for each one, once the due date reaches three days or less before a batch is due, the file name will turn red signifying to you that time is running out and that you need to finish or get as much done before the batch expires and is returned to the system.

Miles Cruice-Barnett Capstone: Solar Panel

My Capstone project was a joint effort with Jonas Bromley to create a solar powered charging station. The plan was to create a solar panel that would provide power to a charging station for phones and laptops inside the school. There were three main steps in making this plan come to fruition: one, making a solar panel; two, making a circuit to ensure that the battery does not get overcharged; and three, creating a station with charging cables in an accessible location.

My job was creating the solar panel. After getting the solar cells, I realized that there was more work to be done than I originally thought. The cells that I ordered needed to have tabbing wire soldered to each cell to wire them together. The biggest issue was that solar cells are extremely fragile and any moderate force would shatter them. Thus, creating the solar panel required a lot of patience; a lot of cells were broken by the end of the project. I spent a lot of time with my mentor and engineering teacher John Kamal problem solving and learning about electronics. He was a huge help in completing this project and kept me on the right track.

My partner Jonas completed the table that will be used as the station as well as the circuit that regulates the flow of electricity to the battery. All that is left to do as of now is mount the solar panel and place the charging station in a hallway.
20160115_111415
20160115_111415
Brand new solar cells
20160115_111722
20160115_111722
Breaking the brand new solar cells
Breaking lots of cells
Shattering even more cells
Finished solar panel on charging station table
ChargeController2
ChargeController2
Circuit schematic
Finished circuit

Jasmin Gilliam Capstone

The Art of Conversation; often times we take for granted the impact that our words can have in situations that are not necessarily clean cut.. Through my year long, senior capstone my main goal was to remind everyone to reflect on past actions in these kinds of conversations and try to put themselves in uncomfortable situations. Especially in cases that, in the end, make you think about things in more complex ways than just getting a solution. While that might be the end goal it doesn't  have to be the purpose of each conversation..

My first major process of was to collect responses from the people around me. At Educon I handed out surveys for the guests to take (administrators, teachers, counselors, etc.) and I made an online survey for the students at SLA. That data was then used to create an art piece deriving different colors from the topics and questions covered in the surveys..The art piece is still in process because of artistic blocks but the meaning behind each stroke of my brush will come clear with the final product. On the date of my presentation I will hang the piece in the school with everyone there to commemorate the reminder we all need sometimes to have tough disussions.My capstone has taken on a life of its own and went  from statistic based, social justice, artwork to a reminder piece of art that will live in our school as long as we are Science Leadership Academy

Link to my progress with the Art Piece

http://theartofconversation.weebly.com/

Annotated Bibliography

Dell’Angelo, Dr, Tabatha. "Creating Classrooms for Social Justice." Edutopia. George Lucas Educational Foundation, 29 Sept. 2014. Web. 05 Feb. 2016. This site shows the breakdown of a few basic classroom practices that allow teachers to engage with the students on issues that have happened in the real world. The article specifies different techniques the author (who is a professor) has used or the=inks are useful in situations such as these. This site is important because this is from a higher level educator who is seeing what is working or not first hand in her classroom with this I will be able to have a write up to help explain the art piece that I am creating in my blog post and in my presentation.

Emerich France, Paul. "Controversy in the Classroom: Why We Shouldn't Teach Our Kids That Columbus Was a Bad Guy." InspirED. Wordpress, 12 Oct. 2015. Web. 05 Feb. 2016. This is a personal story from a teacher who was reprimanded for trying to teach his class about the different types of marriages that exist in the world (one that he was apart of). Because of the fact that he had a personal connection to the issue he was told some things that made him write this article. “The classroom is not the place for personal agendas,” I was told while being reprimanded one day." these are the comments that around the nation and the world steer many of the teachers away from talking about the issues that are relevant in the world at the time.

Emmerling, Leonhard. Basquiat. New York: Taschen, 2006. Print. This book goes through all of the life of Jean‑Michel Basquiat. Through his life he went through a lot of emotional and controversial times and through his art he shows all of this stuff. I am using this book as inspiration for the art piece that will come at the end of this Capstone. He has many pieces that make you think. That feeling is exactly what I want people to think when they see the piece of art. through the thinking I hope to start conversations the same way that Jean‑Michel Basquiat has in his emotion filled art pieces.

Guler, Adem. "Http://www.jcam.com.tr/files/KATD-157.pdf”  JCAM Journal of Clinical and Analytical Medicine 2.2 (2011). Web. This Report makes a number of important recommendations for getting to a world where we can address the vulnerabilities and can build the resilience to future shocking revelations. It calls for universal access to basic social services, especially health and education; stronger social protection, including unemployment insurance and pensions; and a commitment to full employment, recognizing that the value of employment extends far beyond the income it generates. It examines the importance of responsive and fair institutions and increased social cohesion for building community-level resilience and for reducing the potential for conflict to break out.

"Is This Why I'm Still Single?" Is This Why I’m Still Single. Web. 05 Feb. 2016. I like this site because this is a student that isn't too far away from the ages that we are in high school and he is still dealing with the same things that we are in high school in college. Through this site I gained insight to what the inner workings of a white ally's mind was because it is hard for white allies sometimes as they try to be politically correct at all times and try to voice their opinion while not overstepping the boundaries of speaking for someone of a minority group. A white ally's job is hard and this site really outlines what that role actually means.

Kluegel, James R., David S. Mason, and Bernd Wegener. Social Justice and Political Change: Public Opinion in Capitalist and Post-communist States. New York: A. De Gruyter, 1995. Print. This is basically a bigger version of what I am doing I think that through this book or what of it I can get from online I can base a lot of my project off of. The world is going through the same things that it was when this experiment was conducted and through this the project that I am doing will become richer because there was something very similar already conducted by people who have had time and money and the energy to focus completely on the topic. I will be using this extensively in order to analyze my data.

Faith47. Johannesburg, South Africa. My Modern Met. My Modern Met, 18 Feb. 2010. Web. 5 Feb. 2016. This is the exact type of art that makes the viewer stop and try to decipher and analyze what the meaning is. Having words is something that I haven't considered but I am open and through this piece has made me reconsider and see if that will work for this piece of art that I want to do. This piece was Inspired by Lady Justice, this beautiful piece by Faith47 was seen on the streets of Johannesburg, South Africa. The imagery and bold words speak loudly about Faith47’s concern on crumbling worldwide justice.

Nadworny, Elissa. "Uncomfortable Conversations: Talking About Race In The Classroom." NPR. NPR, 24 Apr. 2015. Web. 05 Feb. 2016. This piece is a very specific conversation that happens in the classroom (or at least should happen in the classroom). When talking about race we answer questions that we may have had about our own ethnicities or even others ethnicities. With these conversations research shows that those people start to feel better or more comfortable in their own race. In turn "People who feel good about their own race do better academically." If we have these conversations we will become more and more comfortable talking about these things and they won't be treated as if they are untouchable in a way. With this openness in the conversations the class feels comfortable bringing up the topics that are more risque.

Quigley, Bill. "Social Justice Quiz 2015: Inequality." The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com. Web. 05 Feb. 2016. This site is a reality check of sorts because you get to view you perception of the world versus how it actually is. It's kind of the same thing as that link that was going around on Facebook and t=with that you get the reality check what you think versus how the world is. Question Eleven. The federal government keeps statistics on young men, ages 15 to 19, killed by the police. How many times more likely is a young black man to be killed by police than a young white man? The questions are very jarring and very nerve racking because most of them you are actually guessing.

Thomas, Hank Willis. I AM A MAN. 2009. Mixed Media. Hank Willis Thomas. Web. 5 Feb. 2016. In reference to the 1968 Memphis Sanitation Strike where the declaration “I Am A Man!” emerged and became a popular phrase in the Civil Rights Movement. This is the most emotional piece that I have found and through this piece I see the power of words. I really admire the play on every single piece. But then you read them as a cohesive piece and it gets even better than that. It is poetry in Art. With Kay's help maybe I could achieve this kind of artistry but I don't know if this is possible with what I have so far.

Hikma Salhe Capstone

Abstract: 

The purpose of this capstone is to help people understand the power media has over us as a society. There isn’t a lot of ‘good’ coverage about muslims in media, so I thought that it would be a great learning experience, both for myself and my classmates, about Muslims. Many are not aware of the affect the media has on how we perceive the things around us. With the different terrorist attacks that have happened in the past year, the relationship between muslims and the rest of the world has been an estranged one. Initially, I had not expected to focus on the portrayal of muslims, however, as time progressed, I realized that it was a topic that I felt strongly about. I conducted a series of interviews of students in my school, my final product is a website and a documentary/interview style video. By the end of this project, I hope to be able to teach people about stereotypes, effect of media, and differences. This learning goal is appropriate for me because it is something that I feel very strong about as a young, female Muslim living in a Western Society.

Adowa Mohamed's Capstone

Science Leadership Academy was ranked 16th in most diverse high schools in America. Not many students at SLA knew this so I took it upon myself to make this my capstone and to make sure that these students knew how diverse SLA really was. Summer of 2015 I took a trip to the Eastern part of Africa and really got in touch with my culture and wanted other to understand their own culture. During my time in East Africa I took footage of the culture around me and what really struck me as unique and decided to share that with others at SLA too.

For my capstone, I hosted a school-wide International Day. I asked for students to represent their cultures by bringing in food, wearing cultural clothing, and sharing their favorite stories about their culture. Again, my intention for this was for the students, as well as the staff to, understand how diverse our school is. It turned out to be a success. We had a good time. Many students dressed in their culture attire, we ate good food, danced, and took time to appreciate how different we all are. This is definitely something that I want to happen annually at SLA in the future. It is important for things like this to happen, because we learn so much about each other. In the future however, I’d want it to be bigger. I did promotion, but I think to promote earlier, would have been effective. We had just enough food, whereas next time, I’d want to have much more. I am currently looking for someone who will carry the torch and make this an annual tradition, possibility a junior.

- Photo's taken in East Africa- Summer 2015

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_DXyWeasvNiMFNkWVJsVF9jeXc

- Photo's of the International day event- 4/14/16

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3j8s60BA7ipc2piZ0FUdmlidVk

Bibliography

https://docs.google.com/a/scienceleadership.org/document/d/19lzECluWmlmu-Ky2MyKYdYgmdYOVioRmnJuqqD6S6Ns/edit?usp=sharing

International Day 2016!
International Day 2016!

Jamie Turner Capstone

​My capstone from the start was going to be a Dodgeball tournament.  My partner and I had high aspirations for the tournament and when the time came it didn't work out.  We went through all of the motions of hosting the tournament for months and worked really hard on it.  It was very disappointing when it didn't work out.  Once we realized the tournament wasn't going to happen, there wasn't much time to try and host a different type of event.  Serge and I decided to do our own seperate projects/ activities so we wouldn't be limited by one another.  Instead of sitting around and doing nothing I decided to use my time wisely.  On Wednesday afternoons I would go to my mom's classroom at Dobson Elementary School and provide 1 on 1 help with her fifth grade class.  For the most part I helped them in math but I provided help in english as well. Here are my resources for planning the Dodgeball tournament and a few pictures of the class and myself working together.  Working on the Dodgeball tournament was my main process and working with the fifth graders at Dobson was just a little extra bit I tried to get done.  

Lauren Thomas Capstone

Website

Abstract

The process for my Capstone has been a rough one. In the beginning of the year, I had no clear idea what I wanted to spend my senior year working on. I had two different ideas and topics before I settled on what my finished Capstone looks like. I knew I wanted to do a website because I enjoy web design and I wanted to integrate photography into what I was doing because images are worth a thousand words. After what felt like wasting a lot of senior year trying to pick my focus, I finally talked to my mom and mentor and they urged me write about what I know best - Walt Disney World. 

I already know a lot about Walt Disney World, it is my life-long passion, hobby, and obsession, but I did find myself learning new things. I was inspired to let people really know about just how educational Disney can be, which is something I defend everyday. Following a research heavy trip to WDW in February, I was finally able to visualize my website. I wanted to use all my own photographs for my website and I’m glad to say that I accomplished this - every single photo found on my website (with the exception of five images) belong and have been taken by me. 

In the end, I wanted to prove that something I hold near and dear to my heart, Walt Disney World, can be educational and valuable to children and adults of all ages. (And I think I achieved this.)

Bibliography

Hispanic/Latino Representation Through Media

​For my capstone I chose to make a documentary about hispanic/latino representation in the media and how society treats hispanics/latinos because of this issue. I have conducted several interviews which feature different students and their thoughts on hispanic/latino stereotypes that they have observed in movies, television, billboards, etc. The students I interviewed gave a short introduction about themselves and where they were from, I asked them questions that ranged from personal experiences to people they may know that have been affected by stereotypes. The questions I asked will also help the audience understand how stereotypes can alter the daily lives of not just hispanics/latinos but of other cultures and ethnicities as well. Finally the last question I asked in my documentary will require the students I interviewed to define the difference between hispanics and latinos/latinas. By doing this the audience will understand how hispanics and latinos/latinas are separate from each other, my overall goal for creating this documentary is to inform those who don’t have to worry about stereotypes or people assuming different things based on topics they may see in the media and for those who may be concerned with issues surrounding the hispanic/latino community.

Annotated Bibliography:

1). "In Search of Respect." - Cambridge University Press. N.p., n.d. Web. 2 Feb. 2016. <http://www.cambridge.org/us/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=9780521017114>.

I recently ordered "In Search of Respect" by Philippe Bourgois because it relates to my capstone. This book revolves around street level drug dealers living in East Harlem. Bourgois goes into detail explaining why drugs have become the new economy and writing about the countless homeless heroin addicts that have filled the streets. He also key figures that had changed the lives of residents living there and their knowledge of drug trade in East Harlem and around the country. I decided to use this book because Bourgois mentions situations that define what the latino community has to struggle with and the stereotypes surrounding their identity. Bourgois's offer of culturally privileged information has helped me find the direction I want to go in order to finish my capstone.

2). "Hispanic Culture - Latino Culture -Latin American Culture." Hispanic Culture - Latino Culture -Latin American Culture. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Feb. 2016. <http://www.explore-hispanic-culture.com/>.

This source has helped me discover information that may help me create questions to ask students who I plan to interview. This source has exposed me to famous individuals that I had no idea shaped the latino community and have been awarded for their work and success. This source provided a section of contributions of the latino community that will be able to help me share those contributions to my peers. For my capstones I will attempt to include different locations that I think are important and essential to show respect to the latino community as I am presenting my documentary. Lastly this source provides different hispanic customs that will help me grab the audiences attention and teach them different customs that they either never knew before or are familiar with something similar to that.

3). "The Rise of Victimhood Culture." The Atlantic. Atlantic Media Company, n.d. Web. 02 Feb. 2016. <http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/09/the-rise-of-victimhood-culture/404794/>.

I have decided to use this article as a source of research because it is a great example of stereotypes directed to the latino community and amoung individuals. This article writting by Conor Friedersdorf is about a recent incident at Oberlin College, a talk was held there for Latino Heritage Month. During the event a student attending the college emailed a hispanic student asking if she would be attending the event or not, then asked if she would be playing futbol instead. The student took offense to this and decided to post it on social media and give her response. The Hispanic student took offense that the white student thought the talk was pretty great and shut him down for writing in english then writing improperly in spanish. She accused him of dropping the language when it was convenient, she also accused him of other things that the white student probably didn't know what he was doing. This article is a great source because I can analyze the information and show how it is a stereotype and a struggle of the latino community.

4). "Hispanic Political Figures." Bio.com. A&E Networks Television, n.d. Web. 02 Feb. 2016. <http://www.biography.com/people/groups/hispanic-political-figures>.

I plan on using inspirational quotes and videos about their struggles and what they have completed in their lifetime. I will also include how it affects the Latino community today, whether it’s a positive or a negative. I will research and possibly create a short video about the individual and portray them in a positive way. I have decided to use hispanic figures to grab the audiences attention and bring light to figures that haven’t gotten the recognition that they deserve. I will also give a short description of their childhood and any influences that were present in their life, this will give the audience an idea of what “identity” means to the latino community.

5). "Hispanic Culture." , Posters and Prints at Art.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Feb. 2016. <http://www.art.com/gallery/id--b7514/hispanic-culture-posters.htm>.

This source contains images of paintings and different types of art created by famous hispanic figures, I plan on included how the latino community has influenced art and how it continues to influence many different types of artists today. In my documentary I will be sure to give credit to the artist and give a short summary of their life and how their work was had a positive influence in the hispanic community. I am planning on showing my documentary to a younger audience as well, if I am able to do this I will try to include art intended for children to catch their attention.

6). Understanding The Hispanic Culture, n.d. Web. 02 Feb. 2016.

<http://www.coedu.usf.edu/zalaquett/hoy/culture.html>.

This source explains cultural characteristics between other cultures and also gives statements about their origin and demographics as well. I have also chosen to use this source for my documentary because it gives a short description of latino communities along with family dynamics. Once me and my partner Hikma finish completing our documentaries we will look for different ways to combine our capstones and show how the two cultures are related, we have chosen to focus more on family dynamics and cultural background once we are ready to collaborate for our capstones. A trailer will be a part of our capstones and will give a short description of our work once we are ready to present.

7). "Hispanic and Latino Traits - Hispanic Culture | Latino Culture | Latin American Culture." Hispanic Culture Latino Culture Latin American Culture. N.p., 14 July 2013. Web. 02 Feb. 2016. <http://hispanic-culture-online.com/hispanic-and-latino.html>.

I have chosen to use this source to research my capstone because it provides information on traits and different characteristics that many latino families have in common, by providing information on family dynamics it may help the audience better have a better insight of latino communities and identity as well. I also really like this source because it include a personal article about the author’s family and how they celebrate special events and traditions passed on from previous family members. Lastly I as using this source because it also provides information on different baby names that are commonly used in latino families and latino communities.

8).  "Hispanic Traditions to Keep Alive." LA Times Pulse. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Feb. 2016. <http://www.latintimes.com/pulse/13-hispanic-traditions-celebrate-and-keep-262003>.

This article gives the reader different traditions of the latino culture to continue to celebrate and pass on to future generations. Many of the traditions that are listed are traditions that I celebrate in my family, by having first hand experience it will help me give a better understanding to my peers on latino culture. The article also gives information on different individuals that have helped create latino traditions and make them a part of the latino community. For my documentary I plan on including my experience of celebrating traditions and the traditions listed on this article, this will help my peers understand latino values.

9). "Hispanic Languages & Literatures." Faculty. University of Pittsburgh, n.d. Web. 05 Feb. 2016. <http://www.hispanic.pitt.edu/people/faculty>.

This source provides a detailed description of the language and the use of slang that has evolved over the years, I am including this into my documentary because of my first hand experience with the use of slang and how it has become a part of the latino culture. In recent years many stereotypes have been pinned on latinos and have been discriminated against for the use of slang. I will include a short summarization of the use of slang and how it has envolved over the years in my documentary, I will also interview students that are hispanic and asked them how they feel about the use of slang.

10). "The Ph.D. (HLL)." : Department of Spanish and Portuguese. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Feb. 2016. <http://spanish-portuguese.berkeley.edu/graduate-programs/the-ph-d-hll/>.

Although this source is very similar  to my last source, this source goes into detail of latino language and literature. In my documentary I plan to include famous latino art and how artists, adding a summary of latino literature and language will help me give the audience more information regarding education and knowledge in the latino community. I will also interview a number of students on their knowledge of latino literature and how they believe it had a positive influence on the latino community. Lastly I will give my ow personal statement about latino literature and how I believe in has had a positive influence in the latino community.

You can find my documentary on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b05-CYZ2clE

Tenzin Chemi Tibet Capstone

Having been in America for over nine years now, I have always loved the diversity of culture and race within my surroundings. It’s fascinating hearing and seeing the colorful facet of varying cultures. However, it’s distressing when I tell people about my culture and where I’m from because they’re so unaware of it. A culture so rich and beautiful, yet so invisible to people. Also, to be frank, I did not know much about my culture and my country, Tibet, as well as I should have. Through this year long project, I wanted to reach out to people through digital media, an ubiquitous tool around the world, to teach about Tibet and to teach myself about its history.

I wanted to teach people about Tibet in a compelling method. I wanted to create something that people could easily access and understand. I aimed to produce work that was content rich and concise. So in order to meet all my requirements, I settled on publishing a website where I could aesthetically present the different components to my work. I’ve created three parts to my work and I have four pages on my website. My home page gives a brief background on Tibet and the project. The Identity page is where I’ve collected quotes from young Tibetans about what their definition of being Tibetan is. The History & Today page presents a two and half minutes long video I’ve put together from a Tibetan National Uprising Day protest in New York City and a slide show of powerful images taken during the protest. My final page, Cultural Preservation, presents a six minute video I’ve diligently worked to complete showing Tibet’s culture and the ways in which Tibetans preserve it today.   

Stephanie Dyson Capstone

From the ever-influential (and never-aging) lips of Pharrell Williams: “'Entrepreneur 'just denotes that you recognize that you're doing things across disciplines and that you're blazing your own path.” My capstone was my own exploration of the term entrepreneur and of myself as a renaissance woman. I actually began my Capstone in June 2015 when I began work with a thrift shop located on South Street called Here’s To Cool Stuff. There, I met a myriad partners and friends who would work with my over the course of my senior year to attend learning events and produce the following projects:

• Administrative Internship at The Village of Arts & Humanities in North Philadelphia

• YCenter 2-Week Social Entrepreneurship Incubator

• Five Finger Posse Art Shows

• Radiation Media Gang Events

• Philly Art Collective Events

• Events Internship with Art(is) for Kids

• Elebration Celebrations

Elebration, the group that I did a majority of my work with, gave me the opportunity to build my personal clientele and help me decide that I’d like to go to school for Public Relations. I worked with countless artists, managing their social media accounts and commission requests, creating business cards, organizing and being a liaison for galleries and shows. In terms of shows and events, I managed four over the course of the school-year:

• South Street Cypher @ InksterInc (530 S. 4th Street) - 3/12

• Philly Art Collective 7th Installment @ OpenSpacePHL- 4/16

• Locals Only @ H2CS (1214 South Street) - 5/6

• Frieday @ The Boom Room (1300 N. Front Street) - 5/20

Video footage from our extremely successful South Street Cypher. Hosted by Elebration at InksterInc, only 23 people showed up when our doors opened. By leaving doors open and allowing the music and art to ebb and flow, we ended the night marching to Kendrick Lamar's "Alright" with nearly 70 people. This made the way for various interviews on small blogs and media outlets within and out of the city. All credits for the video go to our media specialist at Elebration, Yusri Yunivrs.
A poster that I created for an event I co-curated with the Here's to Cool Stuff team. A multidisciplinary art show and locally curated pop-up shop, Locals Only garnered nearly 80 enthused patrons. In helping H2CS curate and manage events, I helped their profits tremendously. When they were previously breaking even at best, they had a booming 6 months of profits when I began promotional work with them. I have also been commissioned as their In-house Events DJ when school lets out for the summer.
​One of my favorite and most interesting side jobs was doing creative direction and styling for my good friend, Sean. Han.soloo on instagram, Sean has had his recent work published in many online, New-York-based publications. This gave me some insight not only on entrepreneurship, as he is one of the few artists I know who makes a living as an artist and as an artist alone, but on the fashion industry and allowed me to create my own ideas on style and creative direction. 
--
From working with my various teams, I found that, however long and tasking the processes of event and project management may be, it’s something that I love to do. My future projects include the Philly Art Collective’s 8th Installment @ OpenSpacePHL - 5/22, Elebration Banquet - 6/11, Eleblock Party- 6/18, Art(is) For Kids Wine & Dine - 7/1, "Gentrified" Book Signing with author and photographer Lamar Bonéy @ The Village of Arts and Humanities - 7/4. I was a quiet power-player in Philadelphia’s underground art scene, and plan to take everything that I learned this year and not only incorporate it into my studies in college, but continue to follow the path that I am blazing.

View my annotated Bibliography here

Isabella Blackwell's Capstone

For my capstone, I initially wanted to base it off of Youtube, and create a Youtube channel with content of my own on it. I watch Youtube videos everyday, and it has honestly become apart of my daily life. I thought it would be a great idea to create videos of my own that people my age could relate to, and take a liking to. I started to "vlog" in the fall, but in the end, I just wasn't comfortable with the content. I also just didn't know how I could connect that capstone idea back with SLA's core values. After talking with my mentor, and throwing around ideas, I decided to do something that I love, which is volleyball. Along with my team and coach, I worked hard to create a "Students vs. Teachers Volleyball Game", that will take place on Tuesday, May 24th 2016. 

To make this all happen, a lot of things had to be planned, and difficult decisions had to be made. We had to get a gym to have it in, decide who was going to play, get ahold of teachers who wanted to participate, spread the word and get students interested, figure out how to make money off of it, etc. Phone calls were made, and we ended up booking Lloyd Hall, on Boathouse Row, to host the game. I made a forum for teachers to sign up to play, with information about their shirt size and nickname so they could have a "jersey". I signed and distributed tickets to sell to people interested in coming to the game to have fun and support. I also made flyers to post around the school with information about the game like, the cost of entrance (initially 3 dollars, now 2 dollars and 5 dollars at the door) and the time, date and location. Below is a picture of the flyer, along with a picture of the matching slip of information about the game that goes with a ticket when bought. 

Here is my Annotated Bibliography!

Allison Kelly

​When entering senior year, I had no idea what my capstone would be. I didn't feel interested enough in anything to dedicate a whole school year's worth of work to the project. I was actually one of the very late bloomers when deciding on a capstone idea. I had messed around with a few different topics, but nothing really stuck with me. It wasn't until one day when I was reflecting on senior year and all of the things I wish I knew going into it and I wish I was warned about  that it finally hit me. I was going to make a senior year guidebook for the incoming seniors of SLA.

The book consists of 8 chapters. It starts out with an intro to senior year, just a general idea of what to expect. After that, it goes on to tell my experience as a senior. I try to the best of my ability to warn them to steer clear of all of the mistakes I made. I then talk about some junior year necessities. In hopes that all of the advisors will make their advisory read the book over summer, this chapter will help them know what exactly to have done before even entering senior year. I then talk about test prep, creating their own future plans, and some of advice on how to be accepting of situations and motivated to make something work for them. The best chapter of this book  are letters written by some other select SLA seniors giving their own stories and advice.

Overall, I have learned that you can always take something away from an experience, even if it didn’t turn out the way you planned or would’ve liked. Maybe the best thing I have taken away from my senior year is the advice that I have crafted into this guidebook to be able to help other seniors out with some information and advice that I wish someone could’ve given me.

Below is an excerpt from the first chapter of The Official Guidebook to Senior Year.

And so that time has finally come. The year in which you have so longed for, the one you thought would never actually arrive. It’s here and it is going to go by faster than you will ever believe. All of our years in schooling are spent wishing for the weekend, the summer, the following year, etc. that we never realize until it’s all over how fast that time we wished away actually went. The scary thing is though, that is time you will never get back. So, I am here to help you not be in the current position I am in, wishing you could start senior year all over, do things differently, and get all that wished away time back.

I think the first place students go wrong when entering senior year is the mindset they have. Senior year has gotten itself this reputation of being the easy year, the year that you just cruise through. I hate to break it to you, but that is not the case at all. From experience, I can actually say that it is quite the opposite. Senior year was definitely the hardest year of high school. All of the work you get in all of your classes seem like so much more than it actually is just because you were expecting all of your teachers to be asking close to nothing from you, and sadly that’s also not the case, well not at least until about second semester. So, not only do you have your normal boatload of work, but it is also the lovely season of college applications.

Now at SLA, being as we are a very small, close school, we seemed to have been warned about everything. We have rarely went into a year not knowing exactly what the challenges entailed. We were warned about how hard physics class would be for most of us, we were warned about which teachers would always catch us on the elevators, which teachers were pushovers and would fall for accepting a google doc link for a submission even though they wouldn’t be shared in for weeks to come, what it would be like to finally be stuck in a Don Marcos or Reddy class, and even how hard junior year would be. But, for some reason, nobody decided to warn us about the hardest year of our high school careers.

Bibliography

Jonas Bromley Capstone

When I started thinking about my capstone last summer I knew I wanted to do something with solar power. After that I had to think about what I could do with solar power that could help the school. With this I decided to make a solar powered charging station. This was a much bigger task than I first anticipated it to be, after doing some research on making solar panels I realized that this could be a huge undertaking. After that I talked to Miles about joining me on my capstone and splitting it into multiple parts, we started working together on wednesdays in Mr. Kamal’s room. We started off just doing research and got in contact with Stephen Pisklak, who works on solar panels at DOW. We reached out to him to figure out if making our own solar cells was a viable project. He told us that it would not be possible to make our own solar cells but that we could buy solar cells and build a charge controller. We started researching and ordering parts, we eventually accumulated enough parts to be able to start working on the panels. Attaching the cells together proved to be very difficult because the cells were very delicate. They are so delicate that when miles picked one up it snapped in his hand.

At this point in time we have everything assembled and we just have to connect a couple pieces together and mount the solar panel.

Below is an album highlighting the process of our capstone and what we have now:

https://goo.gl/photos/sAxb4au97Gs6cqAW8

Bibliography:

Byers, TJ. "Build a Solar Charge Controller." Mother Earth News. Mother Earth News, n.d. Web. 02 Feb. 2016. <http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/solar-charge-controller-zmaz84mazale.aspx?PageId=1>.

This source is where I found the best schematics for a charge controller. This source was very helpful because it gave me a layout for the charge controller and the exact specifications on all the parts I needed for it. It gives in-depth descriptions on how to assemble it, and where to get certain components. One of the drawbacks of this source are how old it is, it was published as an article in 1984. I have checked it against other sources and it looks reliable, the reason I chose it over the other sources is that it is a lot more detailed.

Davis, Michael. "A New Solar / Wind Charge Controller Based on the 555 Chip." A New Solar / Wind Charge Controller Based on the 555 Chip. Michael David, 2014. Web. 02 Feb. 2016. <http://www.mdpub.com/555Controller/>.

Dell. "Dell Slim Power Adapter - 65 Watt." Dell. Dell, n.d. Web. 4 Feb. 2016. <http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=332-1831>.

For the charging station I am including chromebook chargers because all of the students will have chromebooks and it will be helpful to have that hardwired into the station. I needed to know how much power is needed to charge the laptops so that the solar panel produces enough energy. It is also important to know how much energy the charger accepts and how it converts the energy. If I give it too much, it will blow out and will not work. If I do not give it enough, it will not do it’s job.

Dhar, Michael. "How Do Solar Panels Work?" Live Science. Live Science, 16 Dec. 2013. Web. 1 Feb. 2016. <http://www.livescience.com/41995-how-do-solar-panels-work.html>.

This source was very helpful because from it I were able to learn the basics of photovoltaic solar panels. This helps me to be more knowledgeable about my capstone. One of the drawbacks to this source is that it does not actually tell me anything about building a solar panel. I chose this source because it is useful to know the background information about what you are working on even if it is not actually pertinent to what you are doing. This information could help me work through problems I might have while building my panel.

DIY Projects. “Solar Cell Tabbing - the EASY RIGHT WAY to do it.” Online video clip. YouTube. YouTube, 23 January 2010. Web. 2 February 2016. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDlcaILWP54>.

This is one of the sources to I used to learn how to tab solar panels. This one was really helpful for me because it showed me how to do complete tabbing of solar panels. The process is very difficult and without this source I would not have been able to accomplish it. One of the drawbacks of this source is the lack of explanation on some of the procedures to tab the panels. The video helps us find out how to connect the solar cells together to create a solar panel.

Dow Corning. "Solar Energy Basics." Energy for a Sustainable World From the Oil Age to a Sun-Powered Future (2010): 155-65. The Science of Solar: Solar Energy - The Basics. Dow Corning, 2009. Web. 4 Feb. 2016. <https://www.dowcorning.com/content/publishedlit/06-10028_solar-energy-the-basics.pdf>.

Everbright Solar. "500 Watt High Power Mono Crystalline Solar Cells for DIY Solar Panel." Everbright Solar. Everbright Solar, 2009. Web. 02 Feb. 2016. <http://www.everbrightsolar.net/500-watt-high-power-mono-crystalline-solar-cells-for-diy-solar-pa500.html>.

This is the company I bought my solar cells from so they have the specs for the cells I bought. I need the specs to figure out how big I want to make the panel and the specifications for resistors. It is also useful to know the specs for the cells so we could find the right materials to use with the cells to build the solar panel. This source also gave us the weight of the cells which will help build our support structure for our panels. One of the things that I would have liked this source to include is how fragile the cells are, when we first opened the box we took one out and it snapped in our hands.

kurtscottage. “Homemade Solar Panels Diy tutorial, complete build.” Online video clip. YouTube. YouTube, 12 August 2012. Web. 2 February 2016. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouLa4Ftu3O8>.

This has been my main source for the complete build of the solar panel. Shows how to build a large panel from beginning to end with plenty of explanation and instruction. The one issue that I have had with it so far is that he has some slightly different materials. His solar cells for example are already tabbed, but mine are not so I had to find another more detailed source to learn how to do that part. This source is credible because it is simply and instructional video, it does not make and scientific claims that require citing. This source has been essential for step by step instructions on the creation of a solar panel.

Mik. "Overcharged Lead-Acid Battery - What to Do?" V Is for Voltage Forums. V Is for Voltage Forums, 7 Mar. 2013. Web. 2 Feb. 2016. <http://visforvoltage.org/forum/13446-overcharged-lead-acid-battery-what-do>.

This is an important source because I am doing something that could potentially be dangerous. I found this source when trying to research on the dangers of charging a battery of this size incorrectly. The source describes a man who over charged his battery, something that may happen if I do things incorrectly, and I now understand more fully what will happen to the battery. This source confirms my suspicion that not only will the battery be ruined, but it will need to be properly disposed of. This means that I need to check up on my battery periodically to make sure it is ok.

Schwartz, Drew. "Polycarbonate (Lexan) vs. Acrylic (Lucite)." Colorado Plastic Products. Colorado Plastic, 25 Sept. 2015. Web. 5 Feb. 2016. <http://www.coloradoplastics.com/blog-0/bid/42625/Polycarbonate-Lexan-vs-Acrylic-Lucite>.

I needed to figure out what I was going to cover my solar panel with, glass is expensive so I wanted to use some sort of plexiglass. The question was polycarbonate or acrylic and this source helped me know the difference. The source explains the impact strength of the polycarb (most notably by demonstrating in the video), and lead me to the decision to use polycarb instead of glass or acrylic. This option is cheaper but still has the strength that I need for an indoor solar panel.

SFUPTOWNMAKER. "PCB Basics." Sparkfun. Sparkfun, n.d. Web. 2 Feb. 2016.

<https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/pcb-basics>.

This site helped me learn how about PCB’s or Printed Circuit Boards. We are going to be making our own Printed Circuit Board for our charge controller. We decided that a printed circuit board would be the easiest way to make our charge controller (opposed to a breadboard or wiring the components together manually). A printed circuit board will allow us to assemble our charge controller very easily and make it more reliable and more durable.

Solar America Cities. "Solar Installation Guidebook." Mayor's Office of Sustainability. City of Philadelphia, n.d. Web. 05 Feb. 2016. <http://www.phila.gov/green/solarGuidebook.html>.

wtam69. “Diy automatic 12 volt charge controller.” Online video clip. YouTube. YouTube, 16 January 2014. Web. 2 February 2016. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C-Q76y3wy8>.

This source on charge controllers was very helpful because it helped to verify our first charge controller source so we could know it was accurate. This is important to know because if your sources give different information you won’t know how to  proceed correctly. This source also showed the actual construction of the charge controller instead of just showing diagrams like the other source. One of the good things about this source is that it outlines how to test your charge controller safely to make sure it works. This is very important because we are going to be using a large amount of current that could be deadly.

Katia Hadjeb Capstone

Abstract:

The original project was to  complete a novel by the end of this year, that talks about the way society  treats people with visual disabilities. Also talking about what people consider as normal, and how is difference often rejected. In deed, I finished the first chapter of this book. I was not able to finish the whole book, because  I kept having new ideas and changing the story; but also because of health issues I’ve had which required me to not do work for a very long time.  I am planing on finishing the other chapters  as I’m moving forward to college.

The other part of the project was creating a group that consists of high school students who have visual disabilities,  and discuss the obstacles that face them and the reasons behind them as well as ways to overcome them. Also to participate in certain activities and workshops in order to raise awareness about blindness, and advocate for our rights.  Although I found people who were very passionate about the project, we faces a lot of obstacles as moving forward.  Because the students are from a private school for the blind, they were not allowed to get out of the school since they lived on campus; and in order for us to do our activities in that school I had to go through a lot of people. The end of the year  started approaching and I still had to meet with other people in order to make it work. Meeting with those people was never a problem, but it took up to three months in order to schedule an appointment with one of the principals. Unfortunately, I didn’t have enough time and resources to complete this part of the project, but I’ll definitely keep working on it.

Over all, I have learned a lot about   different ways of dealing with different people. Most importantly I worked with great mentors who thought me  that when things don’t go the way I want them to, I should just make the best out of it. Even though the result of this project was not exactly what I wanted it to be,  but  this project is still a great start for a future greater project.

bibliography:

My project is mainly based on my personal experience, as well as the experiences of some other students whom I’ve met with a few times. 

Marvin Pearson,Shaniyah Scott,  Madeline Nobles, Tyler Jordan and Christian Childs  all confirmed that they have been treated differently/negatively by people only because of their blindness/visual impairment.

The following books helped shaping the story and characters of my book, due to the critical and philosophical ideas and theories they introduce.

How to make friends and influence people by Dale Carnegie.

This book talks about human relationships, and the min theory that it introduces is that the deepest  urge of all human beings is to feel important. Therefore the best way to positively influence someone is to make that person feel important,  or unimportant  if the goal is  to destroy  the person psychologically.  So the question that comes out of this book is:  do people feel important when they believe that  people with disabilities need them to do anything and everything?

psychotherapy and existence realism (selected papers on logo therapy) by Victor Frankel

This book is very interesting. It is very philosophical. It questions truth  and reality, but it also talks about what makes humans  humans.  To be a human being is not to be driven by instinct, but to be responsible.  Humans are instinctual, but they are also existential  and that’s what makes them different from animals.  

Man's search for meaning by Victor Frankel

This book suggests that all humans need to find meaning in their lives, otherwise they cannot live because they’d have nothing to live for.  It also states that  if humans have the ability to find meaning in their sufferance/pain, they’d never be negatively impacted by that pain or suffering.

the tears of humanity chapter1

Ava Olsen Capstone

My capstone was centered around the sport of ice hockey and the Ed Snider Youth Hockey Foundation. I have been playing hockey for five years, and it has become such a huge part of me that I couldn’t help but involve it in my senior project. I started volunteer co-coaching a 10u girl’s ice hockey team in September, and stayed with them for an entire season for a total of 24 total hours volunteered. I also ended up writing four articles and counting for the Ed Snider Youth Hockey Foundation, as well as a tribute to Mr. Snider, who passed away recently. It was an amazing experience to be able to show young girls how the dynamics and team building aspect of ice hockey work, and to use my writing skills to have articles published in a newsletter. It was a privilege and honor to get to work with such great people, and I am so happy that I was able to have that experience. I will never forget the people that were involved in making my senior project a success, and I hope to inspire those around me to do great things for the people in their lives that have done so much for them. The Ed Snider Youth Hockey Foundation has done everything I can possibly imagine for myself, so I am ecstatic that I was able to give back to that community.