Advanced Essay #4: Who's Behind Harassment

Introduction

My goals for this paper were to show a more in depth, well rounded thought process throughout the essay. I wanted to push myself to dig deeper and really investigate questions that were difficult to answer within my paper. I also wanted to continue using more descriptive language and try harder to keep my language varied and engaging through imagery. Originally, at the beginning of my process I was focused on cat calling and women's issues in a larger scope, which was all over the place and didn't have a focused thought. I then kept brainstorming and narrowed down the cat calling and street harassment, and then where it comes from and how it's perpetuated in the media and how this impacts everyone.

No matter how far we come, it appears we always have to go a few steps further in order to get what we want. Simply itching to be looked at the same; something seemingly simple yet unable to be accomplished even after centuries of coexisting. Women have been attached to thousands of words making us out to be inferior, stamped to our foreheads and pasted to our curves. It feels as though we are trapped in a never ending cycle of being treated as lesser by men, and greater yet by the media, leaving the need for a drastic change.

One of the biggest issues in existence is the fact that no one tells the man “no”. Throughout countless encounters a woman is taught to be quiet, keep her mouth zipped shut with the utter defeat of pain searing inside of her lungs, begging to be released into the world singing of all the torture she has endured. The key is thrown away, with the words always being locked away deep down. This is due to the utter sense of fear women live in everyday. Walking down the street alone is no simple task. You become fragile and exposed to the world around you dominated by the male ego. Shouts pour out of their mouths. Their eyes lock onto you, scanning you from head to toe, like you are the prey. Your head tilts, and suddening the only thing you fixate on is the specs in the sidewalk pavement. Your pace picks up, the frightened scurry of your shoes scuffing the ground cannot be heard against the thumping of your heartbeat. Whistles, kissing noises, yells, all follow you down the street. It feels like you are being hunted.

Women are degraded to feeling like animals. The act of walking down the street can be as violent as having confrontations in war. An author of a poem describing experiences in Vietnam wrote: “muzzle down, sniffing like a hundred-dollar dog. Keep it on automatic. Anything moves in the bushes you open fire”. This relates to exactly what a woman can feel, how all humanity is extracted from the man who is entitled enough to threaten your security as a person. It is like an instinct, almost dog-like. Any female they can find will be subjected to the harsh realities that we are still not equal.

For centuries, humans have played the game of trying to decide who the alpha is and who is the omega. Once the idea that women were lesser came to be, society latched onto it with a full force. Everywhere you turn, you are blinded by the movies, pictures, music, and blatant ignorance the media carries.

Violence towards women is made almost appealing. Harming women can even lead to a means of pleasure. 50 Shades of Grey took the world by storm, everyone enraptured by the intense lifestyle led by the main character. He forced the woman into a relationship without love; only submission. Americans everywhere gobbled up the plot, fixating on the glamorized Hollywood faces portraying the characters and the sensuality coated with a thick layer of sexism. The Huffington Post released an analysis of this movie saying: “For some women, the themes of control and rape are not a fantasy. These women see their own abusive relationships echoed in the supposed love story of Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele, but efforts to have their voices heard have been roundly squashed by those who seem to believe that if women enjoy something, its feminism is above reproach.” Denial is a key contributor to these inequalities our society is facing. People absorb the subliminal messages so far sunken into the fabric of everything we do and it becomes increasingly difficult to pull apart.

The masses of America who were enraptured by the cruel nature of the movie are part of the larger issue, but not aware of their perpetuation. This blind ignorance, this adapted behavior, has normalized so many pressing topics that they are hardly even seen as problems. Women have learned to put their heads down as a mechanism to defend against cat calling, and men have only learned to do it more. The media has learned that abusing women sells, and Americans have only learned to adore it. This form of violence is hard to weed out from the overgrowth of mistreatment, and we must push through this and break the cycle. These problems need to become problems again. They need to stop being accepted and begin to be questioned. People must be aware of how they are being treated and how they treat others, and only then can we advance to an environment where anyone can walk down the street and feel safe just being themselves.

Works Cited

Trout, Jenny. "Fifty Shades of Grey and the Anti-Feminist Critique." The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 06 Feb. 2015. Web. 22 Mar. 2017.

McDonald, Walter.“Taking Aim”. n.p. n.d

CNN. Hey Baby! Women Speaking Out Against Street Harassment. Cable News Network, n.d. Web. 14 Mar. 2017.

Advanced Essay #4 (Teen Violence VS. Media)

For this project in the beginning I was hoping to pick a topic that I was really interested in and never really heard much about. So I thought that teen violence would be perfect. I always read about violence between race, or the violence at schools or prisons. However teen violence was new to me. I'm glad I chose this topic because it taught me a lot and put many things into perspective. 

Try and think of the last time you watched a movie with violence, or maybe it was a book you read, or a post you saw on social media. It could have been between two people, or maybe it was more political like a protest against racism. Violence shows itself in many forms, but the youth of our society is impacted and influenced most by it.

When most people think of violence, they think of a rugged and irresponsible teenager. This stereotype forms this stigma for teenagers that they can’t escape from. Teenagers have always been expected to be responsible and stand out from the crowd by not doing drugs, drinking alcohol, or being violent. Most of the time as soon as teenagers step away from this pressure they are considered “hoodlums” and “gangsters”.  Most people believe that kids from violent households will become violent teens. However, in one case similar to many others, Daily, a man in Texas adopted two kids  from prison after they served time for killing their father after beating them all their lives. In the article about  them  it says “When the justice system gets its hands on these kids, Dailey believes it deprives them of their freedom—and their childhoods—a second time. ‘I mean, they've lived their whole life in prison. That's like living on a worse desert than I live in. That's worse than death.’”. Now these kids have grown to be peaceful teenagers who don’t believe in that sort of violence anymore. This shows that a simple step back from all of society's standards for teens can change a life completely.

From movies like Twilight to Red Dawn and books like The Hunger Games to Lord Of The Flies, teens are always exposed to professionally published violence. Even in school media like this is examined and analyzed and there are stories about kids committing an act of violence and quoting movies or TV shows that they’ve seen to try and be similar to those characters. Teenagers often see this media and sometimes don’t have anything positive or nonviolent to counteract all of the hatred and negativity. Like if their parents are abusive, they live in bad neighborhoods, or their schools are filled with crime they have no choice but to fit in. However, a lot of teens instead of acting out against this violence physically, they do so online. In one recent article a teenage girl was having a birthday get-together and someone showed up and stabbed a guest at the party. The next day, she tweeted “‘Dude it was my party ... there is blood all over my backyard’. ‘I didn’t do anything some guy got stabbed.’”. As anyone can see, her reaction to this was not to praise or salute the perpetrator, but was shocked and surprised at the horror that had occurred. Teenagers get such a bad reputation because even in the article the violent teen was talked about more than the victim of the crime. As long as this is the trend, teenagers will continue to be seen as violent.

Although adults recognize this issue, they normally don’t take any steps to try and help the teens. However, one group in Northeast Philadelphia takes in young people who have either gone to jail or have been victims to the system and tries to make their lives better and further benefit their attitude towards life and the people around them. This organization is called Youth Art & Self-Empowerment Program (YASP) and they have been helping young people for about 13 years and their statement is “We believe that it is very important to talk to youth both in the adult jails and in public schools to help them stay out of the system period.” By saying this, YASP is making a promise to young people in the city of Philly that there is life after prison and it doesn’t have to be a violent one. This should be the norm for our society. The norm being that instead of just giving up on teens who show a spark of violence, give them a chance to improve their attitude and lifestyle.

Society still has a long way to go before there is no violence. But we can start by helping stressed and “violent” teenagers channel the negative energy into something more positive and giving them a leg up when they need it. There are so many misunderstood kids out there that need a helping hand to not end up in prison or expelled for doing something they think is normal.

Sources:

Collins, Emma. "Inside the West Texas Sanctuary for Kids Who Killed Their Parents." Vice. Vice, 28 Apr. 2016. Web. 10 Mar. 2017. https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/the-west-texas-sanctuary-for-kids-who-killed-their-parents

"Host of Teenage ‘pizza Party’ at Five Dock Describes Events Which Saw 17-year-old Critically Stabbed." Herald Sun. The Daily Telegraph, 1 June 2014. Web. 10 Mar. 2017.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/host-of-teenage-pizza-party-at-five-dock-describes-events-which-saw-17yearold-critically-stabbed/news-story/5f21c188e7547c370a2a0e8b60ad22cf

"Who We Are." Youth Art & Self-Empowerment Project. Weebly, n.d. Web. 10 Mar. 2017.

http://www.yasproject.com/

Advanced Essay #4: Repercussions of War on Society

Introduction:

The goals of this paper were to investigate how war impacts and leaves an imprint on people in communities. I also go into how these impacts can be beneficial to the people or how the system can advance or deteriorate because of these changes. My process was overall productive and I was able to use my time wisely and efficiently. When reviewing my final product, I was overall satisfied with the paper and how my goals were accomplished.

Essay:

While war and violence may seem like an easy thing to define and understand, it actually is a lot more complex than what first meets the eye. War and violence is not only a physical being in the moment, but it also has a mental effect during and after the circumstances. One of these mental effects is how war has affected the home country (or countries) during and after the bloody battles. War always imprints on the societies that were involved for better or for worse.

One effect that Karl Marlantes points out is that our mentality as a people changes towards the government after a war. To provide more context, Marlantes wrote about the specific aftereffects of the Vietnam War. He writes “We have switched from naïveté to cynicism. One could argue that they are opposites, but I think not. With naïveté you risk disillusionment, which is what happened to me and many of my generation. Cynicism, however, stops you before you start. It alienates us from ‘the government,’ a phrase that today connotes bureaucratic quagmire. It threatens democracy, because it destroys the power of the people to even want to make change.” This quote not only shows how the people have evolved their views on the government and war, but how it has improved. This can also show how people learn from immediate history and how this imprint from war causes changes throughout history.

Another way war has affected the mass afterwards was the opinion of the public of war efforts. Karl Marlantes also writes “For many people, it eroded the notion, once nearly universal, that part of being an American was serving your country.” It can be seen here that people further experience that cynicism Marlantes refers to earlier. War doesn’t actually solve a lot of issues. The people learn this concept because of their desire to change the ideals of war and violent conflict. The idea of what it means to be an American in relation to war has led to numerous debates and differing opinions.

Furthering this notion of being American and not wanting to serve, there are in fact a lot of different instances where some do not have a choice to be called back into the military. This also causes a lot of issues of dividing the people and the nation. Rita Nakashima Brock writes “Forcing people to stay in service means the military abrogated their contracts and made the question of whether or not they volunteered moot.” This means that there is no choice involved when the military always has the option to reenlist a person back into active service. Even if a person has grown and took things out of war and are against it (no matter if they volunteered the first time or not), they can be forced back into it, disregarding their morals and beliefs in the present. So sometimes even when a people have evolved opinions based on past events, the system doesn’t have to follow those opinions in the same time or even ever.

In conclusion, war leaves an after effect on the communities involved that can impact how that community grows in the future. Sometimes people can become more aware of the violence happening around them. And sometimes the system refuses to change because it it more “beneficial” to them.

Works Cited:

Marlantes, Karl. "Vietnam: The War That Killed Trust." The New York Times. The New

York Times, 07 Jan. 2017. Web. 13 Mar. 2017. <https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/07/opinion/sunday/vietnam-the-war-that-killed-trust.html >.  

Rita Nakashima Brock. "Just War Theory: Are We Protecting the Moral Conscience of

Soldiers?" The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 14 Oct. 2010. Web. 14 Mar. 2017.<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rita-nakashima-brock-ph-d/in-gates-afghanistan-what_b_758090.html>.

E2 U4 Mujer de Inspiración - Norte Filadelfia

Screenshot 2017-03-22 at 8.06.05 PM
Screenshot 2017-03-22 at 8.06.05 PM

Yo soy una artista y mi declaración es un mural de mis bisabuela una mujer de amor por su familia y su comunidad. El lugar fue en Norte Philadelphia. Pienso que un mural de Anita DeBrest debe ir aquí. Ella fue la creadora de una comunidad desarojo  COLT Coalition en la Universidad de Temple. Ella ayuda la comunidad con casas. Ella es mi bisabuela. Las palabras en el mural es “inspiración mujer”.

Yo vivo en Mt. Airy. Yo vivo en el barrio por toda mi vida. Yo pienso muchos árboles y animales en mi barrio. Me gusta mi barrio es muy amigable no me gusta que no más niños. Me gusta Mt. Airy a causa de que es muy pacífico. Uno temo importante es saludable comer y amigable. Pero más mi familia vive en Norte Filadelfia. Lo corazón de mi familia es en Norte Filadelfia.

El mural tiene la cara de Anita DeBrest muy grande y con más colores. El mural también incluida negro y blanca. Las palabras “Mujer de Inspiración.” Yo necesito no mas pinta por el mural.Yo quiero mas gente de la comunidad pintamos el mural en el dia de unidad. El mural es en la locación pero mi bisabuela gusta la escuela secundario de Central. Todos sus ninos van a la escuela. Ella es el modelo de seguir de niños en la comunidad.

En fin mi mural es arte público porque es accesible a todos los comunidad. Los niños y gentes viejo puedan ver el arte. Arte es para todos el gentes del mundo, pero este mural es en Norte Filadelfia. Para mi creo arte le alegra a la gente.

E2 U4 Señor Smith- Oeste Filadelfia

Yo vivo en Oeste Filadelfia. Mi barrio es vibrante y muy bonito. He vivido en este barrio por toda mi vida. Cuando pienso en mi barrio, pienso en los murales y los chicos porque hay muchos chicos riendo y jugado en el verano cerca de los murales. Me gusta la cultura en mi barrio. No me gusta la violencia en mi barrio. Si, me gusta donde yo vivo porque hay muchas actividades y mis amigos viven aquí también. Yo haría mi barrio más seguro. Un tema importante en mi barrio es la familia, especialmente los niños. Sí, mi familia, mi amigos, y Will Smith están de mi barrio.

Esta pared es en una escuela cerca de mi casa. Un mural está aquí porque mucho gente puede verlo. Un mural puede traer color al barrio. Algunas personas famosas de West Philadelphia son Will Smith y Kevin Bacon. El Oeste Filadelfia es muy diverso. En mi barrio hay africanos, asiáticos, afroamericanos, europeos y latinos.

En mi mural hay la cabeza de Will Smith, un persona famosa de Oeste Filadelfia. Will Smith es un productor, actor, y rapper. El mural dice “ Being Realistic is the most common path to mediocrity” y “West Philadelphia, born and raised” porque es citas del Señor Smith.  El propósito de este mural es honrar Señor Smith y sus trabajos. Quiere hacer este mural porque recuerda él. En mi mural hay un calle para representar “the path to mediocrity”. Los colores son negros, rojos, azules, y marrones.

En fin, el propósito de arte público es inspirar la gente y traer algo nuevo al barrio. Mi mural hace esto. Este mural recuerda Will Smith y sus comienzos en Oeste Filadelfia. Me gusta mi mural mucho. Es creativo y vibrante igual a mi barrio.
Screenshot 2017-03-22 at 6.25.56 PM
Screenshot 2017-03-22 at 6.25.56 PM

E2 U4 Proyecto- Justin Stewart

Vivo en el lado noroeste de Filadelfia. Es bien conocido como Mt. Airy. Viví allí toda mi vida. No he dejado el barrio durante toda mi infancia. Cuando era más joven, era visto como un mal vecindario en el que nadie quería vivir en.

Solía ​​haber mucha gente muriendo debido a la violencia armada. La mayoría de las veces el asesino se salía con la suya. El ambiente era muy malo. Pero tuve amigos para ayudarme a bloquear las malas vibraciones dadas por mi vecindario. Fue malo hasta el punto donde la gente no quería dejar allí casa para ir de compras.

Pero a medida que envejecía, el barrio empezó a estar mucho más seguro. No hay tanta violencia armada como en aquel entonces. El ambiente se ha vuelto mucho más suave y la gente es realmente feliz de vivir en Mt. Airy ahora. Esto es A causa de al esfuerzo que la gente comenzó a hacer en la limpieza de la vecindad!

Mi Mural será pintado en la pared lateral de la escuela F.S Edmonds. Elegí esta ubicación porque es el centro de mi barrio. Me siento como este lugar se extenderá el mensaje de cómo el barrio transformado. Mi mural tiene una línea que va por el medio para dividir el papel por la mitad. En el lado izquierdo de la línea, tiene rostros enojados y tristes que describen el barrio durante mi infancia. En el lado derecho de la línea, son caras felices y que describe el barrio ahora!

E2U4 Murals: Shilo Kendall

Vivo en  la frontera del sur y centro de la ciudad. Mi barrio es normal y  molestoso. He vivido allí por 15 años. Hay un feminine estatua de León en Rittenhouse. Me gusta que puedo caminar por el barrio, pero odio a la gente de mi barrio. Yo gusto donde vivo, pero me gustaba más cuando era más joven porque ahora las personas me mira cuando camino por la calle. Vivo muy cerca de la escuela de medicina tiene montón de estudiantes de la universidad en mi zona. Un montón de gente de muy buen gusto vive cerca de mí. Mi comunidad es más o menos.

Mi mural está ubicado en la pared cerca del triángulo entre Sur y Kater en 23. Este triángulo se convirtió en lugar que podía reunir gente para el entretenimiento tales como festivales, música, películas y comida. Este triángulo fue hecha por la comunidad, SOSNA. Actualmente están tratando de recaudar dinero para los triángulos En el Proyecto Gateway de la Avenida Grays Ferry  según el sitio web SOSNA. SOSNA quiere hacer las intersecciones triangulares por Grays Ferry  menos confuso y más seguro para conductores y peatones agregando lugares para socializar y tener un espacio atractivo en la comunidad.  Hay un festival llamado Plazapalooza allí la gente se reúne desde el barrio. Hay comida y música en vivo. También hay un festival llamado Odunde que comenzó en 1975 y llegó a ser enorme en los años. Toma 12 cuadras para celebrar la llegada del próximo año para los afroamericanos y personas de africanizadas. Hay vendedores, bailes y mucha comida.

El tema de mi mural es el festival de Odunde. Este mural reunirá a la comunidad y personas que entran en la comunidad. Este demostraría cuán grande el festival es, también la importancia. En mi opinión esta será trae mi barrio un poco más junto debido a que es en una concurrida zona.

Me gusta mi diseño. Creo que la pared expresa la idea de Odunde.  La imagen es de una máscara africana. La tres palabras celebración , la pasión y la persistencia las tres palabras que describen el fundador de la Filadelfia de Odunde Festival es por eso que están en mi mural. El concepto tiene sentido para lo que estoy tratando de apoyar mediante la  de esta pieza de arte público.

Spanish Quarter 3
Spanish Quarter 3

E2 U4 El Arte Callejero

Me llamo Guillermo. Soy un chico de quince años. Vivo en el centro de la ciudad. Mi barrio es más o menos. Vivo aquí por once años. Pienso mi barrio es muy sucio. Unos imágenes pienso que son vasos de plásticos y bolsas de plásticos tirado en el suelo. No me gusta nada. Me gusta donde vivo. Aunque está sucio, está lleno de vida y los lugares son fáciles de llegar. A causa de toda la basura, quiero hacer mi barrio limpiador. Además, un tema importante para mi comunidad es la amenaza de la renovación urbana. La mayoría de gentes que vive mi barrio son asiatico. Cada año durante Año Nuevo Chino, siempre hay una celebración grande.

Quiero pintar mi mural en la pared del edificio de Verizon en mi barrio. Mi barrio es la Barrio Chino, en el centro de la ciudad, Filadelfia. Las culturas representadas son mayoría asiática, incluso personas de Birmano, Japonés, Coreano y Vietnamita ascendencia, pero principalmente Chino. Cada año durante Año Nuevo Chino, siempre hay una celebración grande. Los inmigrantes Cantonés vinieron a Filadelfia en el 1800s, lo que llevó al comienzo de Barrio Chino de Filadelfia. Durante varios períodos de renovación urbana, comenzando en los 1960s, las porciones de Barrio Chino fueron destruidas para la construcción de la Vine Street Expressway y la Pennsylvania Convention Center. El problema nuestra comunidad enfrentamos hoy son calles sucias. No obstante, a la gente no le importa.

Mi mural es muy sencillo, pero tiene muchos mensajes. Hay muchos colores, como blanco, rojo, negro, amarillo, y azul. Es una combinación de la bandera Americana y la palabra China que significa “bendición.” La palabra en realidad se voltea boca abajo porque en Chino, las palabras “al revés” y “llegado” son homónimos.Rojo y amarillo son colores muy importante en la cultura de China, según lo representado en su bandera. Rojo, blanca, y azul son obviamente los colores de la bandera Americana. Las trece rayas blancas y rojas permanecen intactas, pero la caja de estrellas se reemplaza por la palabra china “bendición.” Los dos símbolos son imágenes que son bien conocidos en sus cultivos respectivos. Este diseño está destinado a simbolizar el matrimonio de los dos culturas y cómo ha creado una nueva identidad.

Para mi, esta pieza de arte público hace un gran trabajo representando a la comunidad circundante. La gente de ascendencia asiática ha estado aquí por muchos siglos, y se han convertido en una parte integral de la cultura Americana. Muchos asiáticos han emigrado a América en busca de oportunidades y una vida mejor. Cuando la gente ve este mural, se supone que piensan que “las bendiciones han llegado a América”, un símbolo de esperanza y prosperidad perpetua. Este mural está destinado a simbolizar un futuro en el cual los dos culturas pueden vivir en armonía.

E2 U4 Mini-poyecto: Ensayo pero Miguel Rivera

Miguel Rivera

Copper Stream

B Band

Hola yo soy Miguel Rivera,yo tengo 17 años y  vivo en Bridge y Large . Son calles  del sector de  Frankford. La población de Frankford es 38.06. Frankford es un barrio en la sección noreste de Filadelfia situado a unos diez  kilómetros (10 km) al noreste de Center City. Frankford también fue el sitio de un molino de pólvora que se hizo famoso por su asociación con Oswald Eve y Paul Revere, En el siglo 19, Frankford se convirtió en un centro de producción textil. Tenían varios molinos de algodón, estampados de calicó y gradas, molinos de lana, hierro, etc.  Según Areavibes.com  “El tasas de delitos contra la propiedad es 1.90 por cada 1.000.”  La mayoría de persona en el sector de Frankford tiene 34 anos.  A pesar de que sector de Frankford tiene muchos problemas, sin embargo creo que debería centrarse en el lado positivo de este.

He pensado que un  mural para resaltar los valores de este sector y  dicho mural lo ubicaria  a tres cuadras de mi casa en la esquina de  Pratt y Bridge.  Va a ser la pared de una lavanderia.  Me gustaría poner este mural allí debido a esta zona hay una parada de autobús que muchas personas utilizan, Además es una pared grande y es la esquina del bloque.

El propósito de mi mural es contar la historia del sector de  Frankford y también crear esperanza para el futuro. Va a tener colores brillantes y gente. Ellos simbolizan la vida en Frankford. Me gustaría que el mural fuera del pasado al futuro. Creo que este mural reflejaría a la gente y sus valores.  Tambien reflegaria algunas instituciones como  el Friends Hospital, fundado en 1813 por los cuáqueros en el mural. Fue nombrado un monumento histórico nacional en 1999 y es el más antiguo hospital psiquiátrico privado en los Estados Unidos. Se encuentra en 4641 Roosevelt Boulevard, Friends Hospital ha estado ofreciendo asistencia profesional en la atención de salud mental para todos los trastornos de salud mental y problemas de adicción en los últimos 200 años más. Para mi Frends hospital es una parte clave de Frankford. O sea va a ser mi versión de "un domingo por la tarde en el parque Alameda" pintado por Diego Rivera.

En fin, mi mural es creativo y divertido basandose en la parte positiva del sector  Frankford. Trato de elevar la comunidad. Además creo que creo  es una idea positiva para el  futuro de Frankford.

E2 U4 Mini Proyecto: Ensayo

Hola, soy Zoey Tweh tengo 16 años y soy de West Philadelphia. Vivo específicamente en la zona universitaria, donde están las universidades Drexel y UPenn. Yo he vivido aquí toda mi vida. Mis padres sin embargo se trasladaron aquí desde el oeste de África y Atlanta y se quedó después de graduarse de UPenn. Mi madre se quedó por la cantidad de africanos occidentales que vivían en la zona. Crecí amando a mi barrio por lo diverso que era. Es conocido por tener una gran población de personas de todo tipo de antecedentes. Tiene muchos árboles y está en su mayor parte bien cuidado. Desde 1950, la Autoridad de Reurbanización de Filadelfia y la Corporación de Filadelfia Occidental trabajaron con UPenn, Drexel y la Universidad de las Ciencias para clasificar el área como barriada y pasar por otros procesos para legalizar sus planes de expandir los campus.

En 1990 dos personas fueron asesinadas en el oeste de Filadelfia localizado en 42 y Sansom, uno de los cuales era un estudiante de UPenn ruso. Esto alimentó otra vez otra recreación masiva de la comunidad. Penn Alexander se abrió en 2001 para animar a más profesores y blancos de la clase media a moverse en la comunidad . La escuela representa lo  "bueno", trajeron los cambios exclusivamente para todos los nuevos residentes.

Yo pintaba mi mural en la pared de CVS en la calles 43 y Locust. Yo elegiría esta pared y la tendría pintada sobre el mural actual porque quiero que enfrente a Penn Alexander. Una gran escuela que es más o menos el símbolo de los cambios en la comunidad debido a grafitti. Cada año la escuela tiene una población menor de niños negros. Es una gran escuela pero no está disponible para aquellos que originalmente vivieron  en este barrio. Creo que haría la declaración más fuerte allí y ese es el propósito del mural.

Mi mural será positivo, pero también contará la historia de la lucha de mi comunidad. Es colorido y tiene muchos mensajes. Muestra historia antigua y nueva. El propósito de mi mural es contar la historia del barrio desde mi perspectiva. Tendrá momentos históricos y contará la historia específica de la gentrificación. Estoy motivado porque este es un tema que me afecta directamente a mí ya mi familia y amigos todos los días. Soy muy apasionado por este tema y también por mostrar la belleza de mi mural.Voy a incorporar imágenes de Penn bulldozer, la policía, celebridades famosas, la música, los intelectuales, las personas que se divierten, la jardinería . Esta es la historia que quiero contar y estos son símbolos que representarán lo que sucedió.Voy a incorporar las palabras"Seguridad" "Inclusividad" "unidad" "orgullo" porque mejor expresan los símbolos.

En conclusión, en mi opinión este mural no es vandalismo sino que es arte. Fue creada por una chica que quiere apoderar el barrio.El propósito del mural  es hablar con la comunidad. Es un mural significativo para la mayoría de los nativos.El arte público está diseñado para hacer que la gente sienta algo y para que el artista exprese cómo se siente y mi mural lo hace. El grafiti y vandalismo son vistos somo un delito, sin embargo tienen un propósito.Las imágenes de mi mural simbolizan y representan la historia de las personas que no son atendidas.Al final del día tiene un propósito político y moral hablado con imágenes para el público y por lo tanto es arte.

Screenshot 2017-03-27 at 12.07.47 AM
Screenshot 2017-03-27 at 12.07.47 AM
20170327_000039
20170327_000039

Mi Barrio: Diaro #2

Mt. Airy fue fundada por William Allen, las casas fueron construidas alrededor de su mansión en 1750. Muchas de las casas están todavía aquí. Mt. Airy es uno delos primeros barrios integrados en America. Educación y transporte es muy importante en mi barrio. La cultura es muy inteligente, seguro y aceptando. 

Radio Podcast

From this project I learned a lot about how youth in Philadelphia are finding ways to express themselves using forms of art. The most difficult part about this process was trying to make a time with my interviewee that would work for the both of us. The easiest part was editing and assembling the audio because I find editing to be enjoyable. 

https://youtu.be/tpm2SVorLoA  

Diario dos: Un mural

Quiero hacer un mural importante aquí porque es un lugar que todo el mundo pasa por lo tanto sería visto por todos. Quiero mostrar lo importante que es mi comunidad. Quiero que sea tan amable como pueda para recibir a los forasteros.

unspecified-3
unspecified-3

Diario #2

Screenshot (138)
Screenshot (138)
Hay un lugar en mi comunidad que creo que sería perfecto para un mural. Es 23 y Jackson. Al lado de un “Dollar General” podría realmente utilizar algunos sprucing up. Es sólo una pared en blanco, tan y creo que la comunidad sería mejor si pintaba un mural allí.

AHORITA 13/03/17

Una oda por General Victoriano Huerta

Huerta era un alcohólico vicioso y tenía un temperamento desagradable y un experto general.

Cuando te ves en la alimentación Pascual Orozco en la Segunda Batalla de Rellano.

Tú debes ser yo la gente del mundo y que puedes traicionar a tu pueblo por otro.

Tú, mi nueva persona de la que aprendo. Ustedes son mis metas