5 mins of sci

• Marijuana is a greenish-gray mixture of the dried, shredded leaves and flowers of Cannabis sativa the hemp plant. This plant can be used in many different ways such as medicinal and illegal. The chemical that causes the high is THC. 500 other chemicals creates a sense of relaxation. Also can heightened sensory perception, Altered perception of time and Increased appetite. More drivers under the influence. People will start toAbuse of the drug. It will cause short term memory loss, Poor coordination of movement, Increased risk of heart attack ,Panic and anxiety, Inability to understand things clearly and Weak immune system.

• https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1fW7za-E1Iv7fpvEl7IKcvWm0P59B9x_pHHCF8XVHHGg/edit#slide=id.g132647538b_0_5

Acupuncture

Acupuncture is a form of therapy that is widely used in China. It is so mainstream that it is even used during childbirth to numb the patient as well as treat headaches and other things of the sort. What happens is that a needle is inserted into the affected area (usually 1/2 inch to 1inch) and at the tip of the needle are bits of Moxa leaves which is a Chinese wormwood tree. These leaves are said to have the medicinal affects that acupuncture is known for. The needles are twirled, vibrated and even sometimes an electrical pulse will be sent down to stimulate the area. Acupuncture itself is based on the Taoist philosophy which basically deals with the "Yin and Yang". It talks about how acupuncture essentially helps break down the walls that are blocking your "chi" (good energy). Western researchers believe that what actually is happening is that the stimulation releases endorphins which are natural pain-relieving chemicals. Acupuncture is important because this may the new medicine. It has no side effects and is natural. Many who have received it has talked highly about it saying that it works and things of the nature. Unfortunately, I have not experienced this so I feel that perhaps this is all a placebo effect but we can't tell for sure. There's no real way to tell if it is or isn't the placebo effect. So I can only go test it myself someday. 

Sources: 
  • Acupuncture. (n.d.). Retrieved May 01, 2016, from https://www.questia.com/library/science-and-technology/health-and-medicine/acupuncture

• Acupuncture. (n.d.). Retrieved May 02, 2016, from http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/acupuncture/basics/definition/prc-20020778

• Acupuncture. (2011). Retrieved May 02, 2016, from https://nccih.nih.gov/health/acupuncture

Super Freakonomics Podcast Part 3 - Ava Olsen and Michelle Friedman

The third podcast in the Superfreakonomics series highlights some questions from our teacher, Mr. Miles. He had a few specific questions about prostitution law enforcement and terrorism prediction and prevention. Then we moved on to the third chapter and discussed crime rates and altruism. We challenged the legitimacy of the correlation between TV viewing and increased crime rates. We also debated the idea of true altruism and how incentives and fear play into all of our decisions. Next week we will most likely finish off the book with chapters four and five and answer more listener questions if there are any. Enjoy our third podcast!

"How To Lie With Statistics" PODCAST #3

Here is our third and final podcast discussing chapters 7 - 10 and our personal opinions on Darrell Huff's How To Lie With Statistics.

Speakers: Eamon Kelly and Will Derry

The topics that we talked about in this conversation include:
- Correlation
- "Who Says So?"
- respect for authority
- Demonstrating something else to prove a point
- How to avoid statistical lies

ENJOY :)
StatsPodcast3

U1 BM4: Restaurante de Divorcio - Kwan, Shilo, Ariana

For our final Spanish project of the year, we were tasked with producing a video, incorporating all vocabulary learned this year that takes place in a restaurant setting with a problem some time in the plot. Our group decided to have divorced parents (Played by Kwan Hopkins and Shilo Kendall) who hate each other be the source of conflict for this story. The story starts with an amazing opening where the two parents are invited to see where their daughter (Played by Ariana Flores) just got a job without knowing the other is coming. Conflict unfolds and hilarity ensues. Enjoy!

Micah's 5 Minutes of Science

Science:

The science can be explained to the general public through simply touching on how playing video games can, as a whole, be more harmful than helpful. For video games are already a distraction from exercising and now the fact that using obese avatars can cause people to not want to exercise even more is no good. Males and females were used in this study in which they were given fat/skinny avatar and a fat/skinny opponent and one’s with thinner avatars increased physical activity vs an obese opponent while those with obese avatars were discouraged from participating in real life physical activity. My sources are very reliable and have proven facts and statements in them. There are multiple sources touching on this topic which is how I know my main source is reliable.

Society:

This impacts society through giving everyone and video game users new life and possibly a new perspective on how video games affect the real world. Mainly, video games users will only find this interesting because it obviously applies to them. Doing so in a manner that is both positive, due to it being informing and raising awareness, and also negative because physical exercise is very important for everyone. Furthermore, different people might think this to be untrue or just disregard it because it seems uninteresting or doesn’t apply to them. In the future, this might lead to obese avatars being taken out of video games completely, helping promote exercise.

Self:

I find this issue very intriguing because I would never guess that just using obese avatars would have such a significant effect on someone’s real life. This issue does not necessarily apply to me directly, because I love to exercise and workout out anyway. My overall thought process of having to live a healthy lifestyle, which means eating right and exercising everyday is engraved into my mind. Therefore, this finding does not have much of an effect on me. I believe obese avatars should be taken completely out of video games to help