What is your universe obligation?
My universe obligation is built the way it is because throughout my whole life I was told to always put God first so that's what I do. Next would be family because family is very important to me and I would die for them if it's called for. I also stated that close friends are apart of my universe obligation. And last is animals because I love to help animals that have been abuse.
Written on May 1, 2013
History Entry: #39
I think violence is more powerful. Because I go by the line “no one listens until someone dies.” I don’t think anyone realizes how serious it is until death occurs. For example, it’s not easy to persuade somebody by just talking to someone and that sometimes you just want to point a gun to their head.
This is a link to my response to modern day sweatshop.
This is a link to my final thoughts on revolutions.
Written on April 22, 2013
English Entry: #36
Freedom is doing whatever the hell you want as long as you’re not harming yourself or harming anyone else. And without someone’s consult or permission. I’m defining freedom in this way because you’re not limited to anything or restricted.
This is a link to my poetry blog.
This is my language autobiography.
This is an assignment with various different pieces of poetry that as I student was to create myself.
This is a language auto biography on how language has affected me personally
- sells value, roomace, sexuality
- tells us who we SHOULD be
- can ads really get inside our heads?
- everyone says they're not affected my Ads but they wear the Ads
- exposed to 15,000 Ads everyday
- less about the actual product and more about emotions and lifestyles
- goal is to make you feel unhappy with yourself & make you feel like you need the product
- sense of what beauty is
- force of persuasion
- turns ppl into objects
I wish could…
I wish I could be over 21 because I would be able to do whatever I want. I wish I could be in the Bad Girls Club because when I match it on tv it seems so much fun. I wish I could be an accountant because I would make a lot of money. I wish I had tattoos. I wish I could fall in love. I wish I cared. I wish I people will notice me. I wish I could be a singer instead of being so shy. I wish I could be smarter. I wish I could be pretty.
• Advertising is a system of education
• with ads comes truth and consequences
• "Can they really get inside my head?"
• Ads try to show who you are and should be
• It's about a whole set of different values
• People in America are overly exempt from Ads
• People who they are not affected by Ads are the ones wearing the Ads
• Ads become an environment
• Average American is exposed to over 1500 ads/day
• It's like breathing air, you don't notice it
• World, power and self understanding
Teaches us to be consumers, ha[iness can be bought they are instant solutions and products can fullfil our daily needs
• Indirectly & directly, they are intimately involved in our lives
• Everything is advertising
• Informing --> tool of socialization
• Less about products now, more about emotions and lifestyle
• Rests the fate of American dignity
• Goal is to make you feel unhappy so you need their product to be happy
• Make you become what you buy
• Reverse psychology
• Needs to grasp attention
• False idols
• Mainly white women being advertised
• Ads define beauty for us
• Sex sells
• To appeal someone on levels that they are unconscious
• No one who sees a commercial will ever forget
• We are their tests dummies or mindless monkeys
• Mythology of independance
• Seeing is believing
• Images are more powerful than words
• Symbols + Images have a force of persuasion that is undeniable
• Ads are an evolvement device
• Symbols = power of social and economics
• First step towards justifying violence towards someone is to treat them less than human, turns people into objects
• "I can be anything you want me to be"
• "What do you want out of life?"
• Not about manipulation or false unconsciousness, it's about getting into their dream life
• Can physically transform you
• Consumes culture
• Ads is the most powerful influence on our society ever
• Integrated communications
• It's a loop --> Ads advertise other advertisements
• One main message is consumption
• Premeditated waste
• We waste as much as a poor country of 100 billion people
• Unfortunately, that's life.
1. 3 things about Prisons that stood out from last week.
• Prisoners have time to regret + feel remorse
• Punishment doesn't fit crime
• Amount of money funding prisons overrule school funding
Never Shall I Forget the piercing pain that shoots through my system
as my mom says to me in a calm weird like voice with eyes full of regret
"Im disappointed in you."
Never SHall I Forget the warmth that spread throughout the house
when she laughs & tickles my little sister.
Never SHall I Forget the dark lonely nights
and hearing the squeaky sound of my door
as my little sister opens it to lay beside me for comfort.
Never shall I Forget those hot sizzling days,
seeing a ritas water-ice in someone's hands
and just wanting to drown in its cold sensation.
Never Shall I forget the first time I saw you
and looking back never knowing
how important you'd mean to me now.
* The last time I forgave somebody would probably have to be the time my mother told my very religious family that I was Agnostic against my wishes. I had specifically asked her to keep it to herself, my family is a straight christian family. It's the Jesus way or no way, everything must be done by the bible, Christ is the only way. I asked her to keep my new found discovery on the downlow until I was more comfortable and more open with my decision. I wasn't yet ready to face the barrage of questions, insults, and disappointing vibes I knew were coming my way. My mom urged me to say something she said, "give them some credit, that's your family Naihema they'll love you regardless." Reluctant, I didn't listen, I didn't want them to know. My mom somehow managed to slip it in at a family cookout. Everybody was laughing joking and talking catching up, and then somehow the conversation switched, the focus was on the children. How we were doing in school, how our personal life was going, and my mom just Let it slip. I didn't speak to her for weeks , and my family didn't speak to me for weeks. I was an outcast. They didn't see it my way, they were dissapointed, I even earn I few of my grandmother tears that night. To this day they still don't believe I'm agnostic. I put on an act, during family gatherings when they all say grace, I stand in the circle and bow my head, but my eyes are open, and I entertain my grandmothers Easter Sunday plans, and I listen to my Aunt drawn out church stories, but I eventually forgave my mother, she's done worse & i still love her.
*Never shall i forget the day of my mothers birth, the day or my sisters birth
*Never shall i forget the one verse of that Frank Ocean or Drake song
*Never shall i forget the day of 6th grade when Jamira drowned in that puddle
*Never shall i forget the people I met and bonded with
*Never shall i forget all the late nights, the partying with friends
*Never shall i forget the new experiences, the experimenting
*Never shall i forget the harmless jokes and banter we made
*Never shall i forget the crushes, A.D .. K.R .. S.T.. J.C .. D.J.. A.B.C.. J.M <3
*Never shall i forget Ernest Talington, may he Rest In Peace
*Never shall i forget my home Texas
*Never shall i forget my father & how my weak memory of him makes me strong.
*Never shall i forget what made me .. me
In my opinion, I think the U.S does have responsibilities towards Haiti. The U.S. have been braking promises to Haiti such as, not helping and giving back that Haiti should be able to live wealthy enough. The U.S should start giving back and re make those promises that they own to Haiti because the U.S didn't reach its goal to approach what is best for Haiti. The U.S should be able to give the money they need, freedom rights needs to be given and many other promises that Haiti was promised. Indeed that hard work it will be able to process of giving back to Haiti from the goals the U.S left behind. It would be hard to keep up with Haiti but at the same time we have our own problems in the U.S also. The U.S can not handle Haiti and its self problem at the same time. It's weather taking care our own country or handling a other country that is not even apart of our land from a different property. The U.S may have money to afford but we do have our own struggles.
Chapters Covered: Three, Four, and Five
In this podcast we discussed how researchers graph their findings, utilize means inappropriately, and how house builders build homes to fit the "average" family. We chose these three topics because we found these to be some of the more interesting points covered over the three chapters.
Again, I am unable to upload our podcast directly to SLATE. To access our podcast click here.
Discussing chapters 7-10
We give our opinions on the chapters, and how, at times, we find some of the lessons comical since there is a sense of common sense. There wasn't any arguing since we took each others opinions into consideration.
(there were no previous questions to answer)
Today we discussed specific examples used in chapters three, four, five, and six. There was not much arguing, though there was some attempts to clarify how we agree with the book's point.
Specifically, we discussed:
- statistics of American housing circumstances
- statistics of child development
- representation of data can be misleading
- graphs/graphics can be inaccurate/misleading
Tenzin Ngawang, Kimberly Cayamcela, Isabella Tognini, Claire Elliot
A Band Statistics
Group Members Present: Stephen, Manna, Marley
Topics Discussed: Lying with Graphics, Biases & and Incomplete Truths, Miscellaneous Advertisements
Specifics: How graphics are used by advertisements to lie to consumers, and how a party's bias might affect how incomplete their truths are. We also talked a lot about advertisements we've seen and what we thought about the way they displayed their information.
Questions: Who is to blame for a consumer buying an advertisement's incomplete truth?
The goal of this project is to implement a successful exercise program at a facility.
The reason why I choose to do this project is because I wanted it to tie into something I want to do in the future. I want to be a nurse and it would help if I had some one else then my self to watch closely over and to make sure they were doing the right thing. I did exactly that in this project. I worked with my church to make this possible. I was able to conduct this project with the help of 12 people total. They worked hard and allowed me to document this project by taking pictures. As a result I will be able to show my mentor and my classmates what my capstone turned out to be.
Mentor- Senorita Manuel
Advisor- Zoe Siswick
Capstone- Latin Dance
Smith, Chelsea. 31 January 2013. January . Print. The reason I used myself was because I am the one who started this dance group and started doing the choreography. Also I’ve used myself because this topic happens to be close to my heart. This was a way for me to express my culture.
Cruz, Benjamin. Personal Interview. 31 January 2013.
Benjamin Cruz is my uncle on my mother’s side. When I was younger he taught me how to dance salsa. From there it grew into something much more and allowed me to love the dance and everything that came with it.
Smith, Wanda. Personal Interview. 31 January 2013.
My mother of course who has showed me what my heritage is. By making original latin cuisines and speaking her native language around the house. She also has helped me to understand who I am and what it means to be Puerto Rican.
Guzman, Noemi. 31 Jan 2013. Jan . Print.
The reason I used Noemi (my grandmother) is because she always taught me how to stay true to my heritage just like my other family members. She also was the one who help me to become more interested with my heritage by the foods as well as the language. No matter what she was the one who helped me stay true to myself and be able to explore myself even more.
Valentin, Maricza, perf. Maricza Valentin & Jose Valdes Jr. (Latin Rhythms) perform 'Quimbara'. Perf. Jose Valdes. 2011. Film. 1 Feb 2013. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov_RxUbhpms>.
In this video it helped me get some ideas together for one of the songs that we will be performing (Quimbara). I came across this video after hearing the song and decided that this will be the perfect thing to dance to. I used this video because the performers are professional and I look up to professional dancers.
2008. Film. 1 Feb 2013. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cehkSxOLNA>.
This was actually the first video that I ever watched of a bachata dance. Once I saw this video I fell in love with the art of dance. I looked at this as a way to really show what a hispanic can do especially through a dance. It was also what inspired to me to explore more through a dance and learn more than what I knew.
La, Alemana, dir. Ataca Jorgie & La Alemana. Dir. Ataca Jorge. 2009. Film. 1 Feb 2013. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqHoHR1KPNo>.
In this video this where I learned ways to incorporate a group performance. Also the way that they move together is so graceful. This video also bought my interest because of the thought of being able to perform in front of people. As well as being able to get a positive response from people because they aren’t use to seeing this kind of dance.
Kensinger, Tanja. Internet Chat Interview. 31 Jan 2013.
Tanja Kensinger, better known as La Alemana is a professional latin dancer. She started dancing salsa in 2005 and began dancing bachata in 2008 with her partner Ataca Jorgie. She has continued to grow her love of salsa with her passion of bachata and teaches at one of the best dance schools in Fort Myers, Florida.
Lopez, Jennifer. 31 Jan 2013. Jan . Print.
The reason I am sighting Jennifer Lopez is because she is one of my role models. She has a love for salsa and seeing how much she loved her heritage gave me a look on how much I love mines. She also says how much salsa is important to her and just like its important to her its important to me.
Fuego Dance Co. - Miami Salsa Congress 2012 (Saturday - Performance). 2012. Film. 1 Feb 2013. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo5aMlpu2cE>.
Fuego Dance Co is a well known dance group in Philadelphia and the reason I used this specific video is because of how dedicated they are to dancing. In the video you see how the audio stops working but the dancers didn’t give up. They continued to dance and finish their performance and that’s what I like to see especially in a dance. Its takes a lot of determination and commitment to continue to go even when things go wrong.
Fuego Dance Group 3-11/12. 2012. Film. 1 Feb 2013. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h7stm3F9V4>.
In this video I watched it mostly to get a feel of the way people were dancing to the song Promise. While watching this I loved the transition from bachata to salsa and how they were all confident and kept moving. Also I used this video to show my dancers how confident they should always be.
Santos, Romeo, prod. Promise. Perf. Usher. 2011. Film. 1 Feb 2013. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3XyWhrZnqE>.
This song is a new bachata original by Romeo Santos and has Usher featured on this song as well. I decided to use this because it has a beautiful beat and makes it a lot easier to dance and catch everyone’s attention. Also this was a very popular song so I know people will love to watch a dance that is done with this song.
Anthony, Marc, perf. Valio La Pena. 2009. Film. 1 Feb 2013. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns9YYSqLxyI>.
The song Valio La Pena (meaning “it was worth it”) happens to be a very popular song in my family. Especially when it comes to my Uncle and his love for salsa this happens to be a song that he really enjoys. I figured the best way to show this would be to have a dance for this and represents what this means from my family.
Anthony, Marc, perf. Aguanile . 2007. Film. 1 Feb 2013. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nx8URjepjo>.
When we first started to do the Latin Dance group I had went around and asked people what would we be a great performance song. It turned out that a lot of people loved the way Aguanile worked as a performance. I decided the best way to bring my audience attention in is through this song and from there they can get into the mood of the show.
Cruz, Celia, perf. Quimbara. 2010. Film. 1 Feb 2013. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxRWQHCSmUg>.
In this song I decided to take time out and just work with the people that wanted to do an extra dance. We decided to mix the song and make it a little shorter than the orginal song and from there work with the fast beats with this song. I figured this will really keep the audience entertained as well as on the edge for wanting more.
Click here to see the keynote
My name is Brittany Cooper, over the past seven months I have been working on my You and The World Project. I had a very difficult topic for my age which was teen pregnancy. A agent of change is a way you would make a difference. For my agent of change I made posters about teen pregnancy. Stating general facts about the topic. They would be found all the school and throughout the hallways.
I was highly hesitant to pick what my agent of change should be, because of how opinionated my topic is. I felt as though, I might not be in control. I was unsure as to what I was going to do, weather I was going to interview people or even do a presentation. But I wanted to hands on so I decided to make posters and post them around the school. The posters would contain information from my previous blogs. A problem that occurred for me was making sure I don’t repeat or overfill the poster with information.
After doing this project I learned that one mistake can change your life . Getting pregnant at a young age, is not worth it. When you get pregnant in your teen years you give up everything! You have you grow up fast and have to take responsibility for your actions because it is no longer about you. I believe my topic makes teens think twice about having sex. That abstinence is the safe way.
I see myself in the community as a person who is always willing to educate themselves. Also as a leader. A positive person who is proud to be a person who is all for abstinence. From this project I will take a different look at the level of maturity people go through. That there is a time and place for everything.