Science Leadership Academy Learn · Create · Lead

Blog Feed

Lobbying Post #4 - Curfews/Flashmobs

​As I have mentioned in previous blog posts, Philadelphia has had a problem with flashmobs and the solution the city has come up with is setting a curfew for those under the age of 18. City council has recently come up with a new curfew law for the city which fines those who don't obey. I've had many thoughts and feelings about this law because it effects me directly because I am a minor. I don't agree with the law that has been made. The law not only effects the teens who don't listen to the curfew but always the parents of those minors. 

Curtis Jones Jr., is my representative for my district. He voted upon the new curfew law for the city. Because we have two different opinions on what needs to be done, I thought it would be a good idea to contact him and let him know how I feel. Writing a letter seemed to be the easiest way to contact my representative, so I did just that. In my letter, I talked about how millions of dollars are going to be spent for more policemen to be on duty to enforce the new law. I also questioned whether or not they believe this law will be enforced properly and if not, what do they plan on doing? I expressed how punishing parents isn't fair nor is it the best thing to do and not every minor who is out during the those restricted hours are out to start trouble. 

I believe that contacting your representative when you don't agree with something that's going on in the city is the best way to handle the situation. Your representative is there to represent you, so you are entitled to give them our opinion. 

Be the first to comment

Jermel Langley Language Autobiography / response video

​l. My Language autobiography is showing how Code switching is a major part of my life. Word are the real power people have you just have to know how to use them. I just wanted to show everyone who reads my paper how my use of code switching can help out. Everyone code switches because it's like a instincts you have when you know how to talk. 


Code Switching In Language

This was one of my regular Friday’s when I was suppose to get my cut. I walking to my room and my cousins comes over my house. So my mom calls me down stair to get my hair done. I walk to the kitchen and wait i know you may think hold up I’m getting my hair cut in the kitchen but we have been doing this for the pass 3 years so it’s cool and they make me clean it after anyways. So back to the story. My cousin Boo was staying in the kitchen, he has a full Beard, my skin completion, and very husky.

“Wassup! cousin boo ” He turn around and give me a hand shake. When he give me hand Shakes it feel like he trying to break my hand.
“Wassup kid, i see you getting a lil husky over there but you see i been in the gym 2” As he said this he flexed his muscles. like if I like seeing them or something. really I don’t be caring but I don’t say anything. so he could feel better about his self.
“Yeah im not even husky tho haha” I know i’m husky he don’t have to tell me.
“yeah ard, but you ready to be pretty for the city?”
“ Swag you already know, ima sit down”
“ all right then, you about to pull all the bittes.”
“ Yeah you already know cousin boo you know”
“ It’s in our blood Mel G’s”
“ Mel G’s “
Boo: “ these ladies don't know they talking to Mel G over here”
This is a conversation that me and my cousin have all the time, but this is a conversation that only be and my cousin can have. I use slang for the fun in the way I talk. I feel as tho it gives me freedom. But at the same time I can code switch very well and if you don’t know what code switching mean it when you change the way you speak to present your self a certain way to certain people. Like if you curse and talk with slang around your friends and never even think about talking that way around your parents. Plus if you did you know your parent will be like I’m not your friend, so talk to me the right way. I do this all the time.
Late August, We were having a Award Ceremony for my Advance Engineering Design program. As soon as we walked in Naval Commanders came to me and my group and began talking to us. I was nervous but I just started talking very proper.

“Goodmorning, what’s your name” This man was a tall and white with a naval suit on and a white hat. “My name is jermel sir and how is your morning going?”  

Right here is where you can see i code switched for one respect and two it’s in my personally. Code switching is a major part of language because you need to know how to approach certain people in certain ways. if you don't know how you can get laughed at and never get token seriously, you can never get a job, or you won’t fit in where ever you go.

With both events, I showed you that happened in my life and overall conflicts wit language. With these 2 events I summed up Code switching in language. Slang is a friendly way of talking to people your around everyday, which is a shortcut for the way anyone talk. And talking proper is just a professional way to speak to someone. With Code switching you will learn that you will always do this wit everyone you talk to in your life. Everyone have a different way you talk to them. Code switching is just a name of how you live your everyday life...

Be the first to comment